Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #16
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Wink Re: now you're starting to scare the crap out of me +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runngo View Post
I think ALL divers and spearfishers should amp up the awareness factor, perhaps check in on the site as to where Whitey is hanging out. Again, this is no bull shark.

Bottom line is (and there was another spotting near Jupiter recently) this ultimately cannot end well, and I pray that just does not happen. When a Great White decides to do a taste test, or wants to enforce it's territory, bubbles or no bubbles, spearguns or power heads or chained protective suits or what not will not make a difference. Simply trying to spread a more serious tone of awareness. Albeit I am glad that the Great White's population is growing again, after the movie Jaws came out, there were years of this animal being recklessly and indiscriminately hunted and killed.
Well said Runngo.

I was having dinner at the Brass Ring Pub on Saturday night and the two guys sitting next to me at the bar work on a big sport fish boat. They had heard of a boat sighting of a GWS last week. I spoke with both Angie and Glen about their underwater diving encounter and this particular Great White Shark came within around 4 to 8 feet of each of them.

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #17
Runngo
Drums 'n' Divin'

Re: now you're starting to scare the crap out of me +

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpearMax View Post
Well said Runngo.

I was having dinner at the Brass Ring Pub on Saturday night and the two guys sitting next to me at the bar work on a big sport fish boat. They had heard of a boat sighting of a GWS last week. I spoke with both Angie and Glen about their underwater diving encounter and this particular Great White Shark came within around 4 to 8 feet of each of them.

damn...I feel like Ian Maclom in Jurrasic Park when I say "I hate when I'm right". We Floridians are naive when it comes to this animal, plain and simple. Dozens if not hundreds of us can swim with the bulls and spear cobia all day long. But with this animal, we're just not in the same depth as those on the West coast, or even up north. We don't have the years of incidents and reports and sightings and ultimately, attacks AND deaths! Just re-post this over on the California side of the forum, see what they have to say about this. I may sound all negative, but this is something where I fear the worst is yet to come. Not good news, a white shark getting closer and closer to people...geting comfortable and too close, IMHO!
Runngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #18
seadogger

Re: now you're starting to scare the crap out of me +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runngo View Post
damn...I feel like Ian Maclom in Jurrasic Park when I say "I hate when I'm right". We Floridians are naive when it comes to this animal, plain and simple. Dozens if not hundreds of us can swim with the bulls and spear cobia all day long. But with this animal, we're just not in the same depth as those on the West coast, or even up north. We don't have the years of incidents and reports and sightings and ultimately, attacks AND deaths! Just re-post this over on the California side of the forum, see what they have to say about this. I may sound all negative, but this is something where I fear the worst is yet to come. Not good news, a white shark getting closer and closer to people...geting comfortable and too close, IMHO!
This is why I keep 2 PHDs on me at all times.

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #19
Nano

Re: Great White Shark on Capt. Kurles Jupiter today +

You have TWO Philosophy Doctorates!?
Old 05-07-2015, 07:34 AM   #20
barry1961

I think that is Phishing Doctorates.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:55 AM   #21
TheMackDaddy
hoos your daddy?

WHat does the GD in GDGW stand for?
TheMackDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:34 AM   #22
Cisconius

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMackDaddy View Post
WHat does the GD in GDGW stand for?
God Damned Great White
Cisconius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:47 AM   #23
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

I have personally had encounters with 2 GWS off jupiter (north of inlet) one was above the water while fishing. The other was while diving near Loran tower ledges.
Both appeared to be the same 12-15ft length and we're both headed south during the sighting.
The fishing sighting was in 500ft and thr shark was fin out of the water swimming gently southbound. We directed thr boat for an intersecting course and nearly ran it over when it didn't yield to our boat. The deep rod snagged his back and pulled off 50ft in a zip.

Thr diving story he approached while I was ascending and I had to wait for him to swim off some before I came up from the drop. I was nervous but mainly just ready to exit the water. He approached me directly coming from the east and when he got 20-25ft away he turned south and swam away.

Last edited by KILLIAN; 05-07-2015 at 10:31 AM.
KILLIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:01 AM   #24
Hosang

Pretty Awesome.
I'll be in Miami end of this month. Anyone know if wahoo and Mahi are hanging around? I would like to see about spearfishing for them, while I'm there. I know grouper is the focus as well.
Any information would be great, I've never been to Miami spear fishing.
Hosang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #25
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLIAN View Post
I have personally had encounters with 2 GWS off jupiter (north of inlet) one was above the water while fishing. The other was while diving near Loran tower ledges.
Both appeared to be the same 12-15ft length and we're both headed south during the sighting.
The fishing sighting was in 500ft and thr shark was fin out of the water swimming gently southbound. We directed thr boat for an intersecting course and nearly ran it over when it didn't yield to our boat. The deep rod snagged his back and pulled off 50ft in a zip.

Thr diving story he approached while I was ascending and I had to wait for him to swim off some before I came up from the drop. I was nervous but mainly just ready to exit the water. He approached me directly coming from the east and when he got 20-25ft away he turned south and swam away.

I remember that day you came up and told us about it. You seemed so CALM.

Either you are a big liar or pretty damn mellow underwater.

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:17 PM   #26
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

You have been our with me enough times to know that I'm as cool as a cucumber I admit I expected more reaction from myself that day. But as it happened I was so in awe that fear wasn't the primary thought in my head. I "knew" i was in danger but my body and mind basically stuck to the basics and said just swim normal and get in the boat.

Obviously I am the calm type diver as seen in my bottom laying habits. I believe I shot a 13lb mutton only a few hundred yards away minutes later that day. Yes it's suspect that I got right back in the water....but just accept that I'm not a p♤◇♡y and I love shooting fish no matter what. Haha
Old 05-07-2015, 07:04 PM   #27
jfjf

Quote:
You have been our with me enough times to know that I'm as cool as a cucumber I admit I expected more reaction from myself that day. But as it happened I was so in awe that fear wasn't the primary thought in my head. I "knew" i was in danger but my body and mind basically stuck to the basics and said just swim normal and get in the boat.

Obviously I am the calm type diver as seen in my bottom laying habits. I believe I shot a 13lb mutton only a few hundred yards away minutes later that day. Yes it's suspect that I got right back in the water....but just accept that I'm not a p♤◇♡y and I love shooting fish no matter what. Haha
And you have been out enough times with me to know that I am not.

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 AM   #28
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Incredible encounter indeed! Don't forget to report the white shark sighting to the encounter database I set up to track white shark sightings. You can find the link for it at the top of this thread: http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=155365 Would greatly appreciate the report!

Sucks you didn't get pics/video, but definitely not something you are going to forget anytime soon!

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•΄―(__.•΄―(__.•΄―(___.•΄―(__.•΄―(__.•΄―(___.•΄―( __.•΄―(__.•΄―(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:27 AM   #29
pirate_diver
Mike

Send a message via AIM to pirate_diver

Quote:

When were your sightings? Would love to add them to the database. Do you mind taking a few minutes to fill out the info at this link: www.unf.edu/sharks

Thanks!

"Out in the blue is where I've been."
-Jimmy Barnes
_.•΄―(__.•΄―(__.•΄―(___.•΄―(__.•΄―(__.•΄―(___.•΄―( __.•΄―(__.•΄―(__
"Don't try to describe the ocean if you've never seen it."
- Jimmy Buffett

Rest In Peace Jeff (Keezdiver) Simonds
4/24/78 - 2/18/10
I will never forget you or the stories you told.
pirate_diver is offline   Reply With Quote