Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 10-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

radar question

i just got a furuno navnet chartplotter, radar, fishfinder with a 4ft open array radar antenna(6kw).
everything works great.
question is, and excuse me if it sounds stupid, but if iam running and not using radar will the open array spin? i really do not want to bungie it in place.
i can rotate it with a small push of my hand and it will rotate. i cruise around 30-32mph and i think that it will spin when not on.

thanks in advance.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:02 AM   #2
Spearchuckerz
Subaquatic bitchslapper

Re: radar question

It will not spin if set up right. It has a gear inside that should hold it in place, but you can spin it by hand.

That 6kw kicks ass and will find birds feeding. FYI.. Many boats need to have a wedge placed under the radar mount to get proper reading on plane.
Spearchuckerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 PM   #3
badcompany

do you have the radar on stand-by???? if you don't figure it out i can make a call tomorrow and get you an answer ,,
badcompany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 AM   #4
bhowell

This may be another dumb question, but why would you ever want to run your boat, particularly at 30k without radar? I think if you have radar, it can only make you safer using it all the time. Just like a marine radio always monitoring 16.

Even if it is a clear calm day, the radar can act as your rear view mirror for faster boats.
bhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #5
bgbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhowell View Post
This may be another dumb question, but why would you ever want to run your boat, particularly at 30k without radar? I think if you have radar, it can only make you safer using it all the time. Just like a marine radio always monitoring 16.

Even if it is a clear calm day, the radar can act as your rear view mirror for faster boats.
When I took my Captains class, the Instructor said if you have RADAR on a boat, it must be monitored at all times when the boat is being run.

Also you are supposed to monitor the radio.

I can so no advantage to not running the RADAR.

But to answer Brad's question, it will settle in and not spin while it is turned off, even if you are towing your boat at 65 MPH, the array will not spin.
bgbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #6
bottomfeeder22

As an aside, a new radar was installed on my ship when i was in the navy. It kept blowing up power supplies. Between another tech and myself we figured out that b/c the radar antenna was half exposed to wind and half protected, the wind was spinning the antenna faster than normal, turning it into a generator and feeding back excessive voltage to the power supplies, blowing them up. Food for thought.
bottomfeeder22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
gcracker89

When your running the wind pushes on both ends equally, more or less. Unlike a prop that has a pitch to it which causes it to rotate. It should not spin when traveling. Putting something on it to prevent it from rotating is one more thing to forget. How many times have ladders been forgotten and ruinned. But have someone watch it when you take off and run.
Oh yea SWEET!!!!!!!! Radar you gotta love it. What is your boat?
Dave
gcracker89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

30' midnight express

took the boat out with new open array. it does not spin while running. ran up to 38mph, no spin.