Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

View Poll Results: What do you think about inflatables
I Love Inflatables i own one! 30 36.59%
I Like them and I would like to get one! 40 48.78%
They are ok but not interested 12 14.63%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-23-2015, 08:43 AM   #16
NHspearguy

Re: Spearfishing Inflatable Boat

I will bring this post back just to say, I started with a 10' flat bottom inflatable and it was better than a yak for sure. But with two guys and gear it gets tight and slow. I upgraded to a 12' with a 15hp and an inflatable keel. World of difference. Very fast and plenty of gear! The only reason I didn't get a whaler was so that I could put it in my garage and not take up space and don't need a trailer.
NHspearguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:40 PM   #17
growingupninja
Lance

I have been in my share of 'small craft' of various sorts. I own a 15' kaboat, which is about the cheapest, lightest pvc thing you can buy, literally an inflatable kayak with a wooden transom. It is not without charm. The whole thing, plus 6hp fourstroke and dive/spear gear fits in my car (subcompact sportscar with a backseat).

I ran it over 60 miles on Saturday from LA to Catalina island on 3.25 gallons of gas. It is wicked for the kind of deep freediving I like because I treat it as one giant dive float--I can bullseye 30# of lead and kettlebell onto a reef 120' under the boat and cinch the line tight for vertical drops, and it is covered in d-rings and crap for dangling bugs, handholds in current, guns, etc.

Downside is it makes a whopping 12 knots in calm seas (although uncommonly good in following seas), is never ever dry inside since no part of the boat is more than 16" from the water, and I punch a new pinhole in it on every trip (although it runs okay for miles with no positive pressure in at least one tube.

I would get a rib if I had somewhere to park it and a car to tow it but owning a rib isnt worth moving and getting different car to me.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
growingupninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 05:57 PM   #18
riley's hump

Glad you started this up again as i just ran thread and have some of the same issues. Have been shopping for small boat here in hawaii but not many here. Years ago owned a 17 inflat keel inflatable with 40hp and at same time got a 15' Whaler. At the time I was glad for the fiberglas boat.We were diving daily out of both and enjoyed glas boat better but not as sea worthy as inflatable. Now in Hawaii looking and trying to decide. Not many decent small boats here and while would like 16'7" whaler haven't found one so considering 15 to 16' inflatable. What good Rib? Always though Avon or Achilles but times change. Runs are under 5 miles but boat ramps bad. Have quite a bit of time being pounded to death in 13' whalers and don't want that. My 15' while not as good as the 16'7 Montak was vastly better ride that the 13'.
riley's hump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #19
bracmon

Another boat to consider for spearing is the power skiff

http://www.razorpowerskiff.com/
bracmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:05 PM   #20
Bentley41

how do you guys put it in the back of a car, then deploy? just on the beach? isnt the engine heavy as hell?
Bentley41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:37 AM   #21
riley's hump

The 15' Razor looks prety good for boat like that. Wonder what they sell for CA.

Bentley41
Some INflatables like 16-18 are pretty heavy and a multi man job loading in truck. A RIB which is best ride is just about like having glass boat but more stable and sea worthy. I must admit the 17'inflatable i had was loaded dozens of times on back deck of main boat and worked around coral with equipment andon board gas engines running all day. We speared out of it too and never a hole. Just not much room inside for size and inflat keel didn't ride that great even though we strengthened aluminum floors with 2x4 stringers on inside.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #22
Bentley41

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley's hump View Post
The 15' Razor looks prety good for boat like that. Wonder what they sell for CA.

Bentley41
Some INflatables like 16-18 are pretty heavy and a multi man job loading in truck. A RIB which is best ride is just about like having glass boat but more stable and sea worthy. I must admit the 17'inflatable i had was loaded dozens of times on back deck of main boat and worked around coral with equipment andon board gas engines running all day. We speared out of it too and never a hole. Just not much room inside for size and inflat keel didn't ride that great even though we strengthened aluminum floors with 2x4 stringers on inside.
but im talking like loading it in and out of the car or a truck. aren't the engines themselves like a couple hundred pounds?
Old 02-27-2015, 12:27 AM   #23
riley's hump

You are right.I would say 8' to 9' with a 9.9 4 stroke which weighs almost a 100lbs itself is max for load and unload., a 40hp is unmanageable except on trailer just like glass boat.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:50 PM   #24
Murk_Man'22

what do you guys think about the Craig minikat?

Murk_Man'22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #25
growingupninja
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley's hump View Post
You are right.I would say 8' to 9' with a 9.9 4 stroke which weighs almost a 100lbs itself is max for load and unload., a 40hp is unmanageable except on trailer just like glass boat.
bently:
A 9.9 fourstroke alone weighs in at at least 80 lbs, and I dont think you could find an inflatable that could take that size engine which weighs less than 50#. Currently most new model fourstrokes of 6hp or less come in single cylinder (60#), but jump to two cylinders with significant weight increase at anything bigger... So on a very light boat which will be very sensitive to engine weight, a 10hp outboard is more hassle and money for no great reward. If the boat can take it, 12-15hp might be more worthwhile. But most soft boats have limited speed no matter how much engine you put on them although they may handle added weight better... doubling and even trippling hp probably wont double speed...

I have had three different engines on my 15' kaboat. 2.5 hp 2stroke, 9.8 hp 2stroke, and 6hp 4 stroke. The extra weight that came with the 9.8 was not worth it in both the performance and transport/build at the dock department. On a trailer it would be alright but I jumped to a trailer I would have a sturdier boat.

For PFI Freediving classes in the Los Angeles area: http://www.socalspearit.com/freedving-classes
YouTube channel: SoCal Spear-It https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCme...kaUpPMG4NX1rKg
Old 02-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #26
Bentley41

thanks bud, much explained
Old 02-28-2015, 03:24 AM   #27
Gaudi

to expand you have to quadruple thrust (hp) to double speed, its usually a quadratic equation.....
Gaudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 05:28 AM   #28
Milkjug

Don't get all algabraic on us math boy. You're talking to a bunch of knuckle dragging cromagnan men who impale and consume fish for a hobby.
Milkjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:03 PM   #29
growingupninja
Lance

Here is a somewhat detailed review of my kaboat..

Old 12-31-2018, 10:06 AM   #30
Timinator

If you can find a Nova Bat inflatable buy one. Best there is. Large tubes inflatable keel with ridged center beam. Great inflatable. I've had 3 other Zodiac's and should have never sold the Nova.