Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 07-28-2010, 03:08 AM   #16
zeN

Re: AHH!! How do I know how big a Halibut is when it's burried!!!!!

The use of a safety on a weapon in no way precludes basic safety precautions,
but diving in the liquid environment, with other divers, moved about by currents and flows, moving among kelp, rocks, lines etc. where numerous objects could snag on a trigger causing an unexpected firing could be disastrous-
having that kind of attitude about a basic safety is about as intelligient as walking around with a colt 45 auto on your hip with the hammer back,
and using a gun that is faulty doesn't speak much for your IQ either

'Nuff sed
zeN
zeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:20 AM   #17
diver pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeN View Post
but diving in the liquid environment, with other divers, moved about by currents and flows, moving among kelp, rocks, lines etc. where numerous objects could snag on a trigger causing an unexpected firing could be disastrous-
having that kind of attitude about a basic safety is about as intelligient as walking around with a colt 45 auto on your hip with the hammer back,

'Nuff sed
zeN
Well, in 35 years of spearfishing, I've never had anything cause my gun to go off other than my finger on the trigger. If you get used to using a safety, you make the assumption that the gun is safer. You should never put yourself in a position where an accidental discharge would endanger yourself or another diver. It takes but a few seconds to unload and then reload a gun.
diver pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:36 AM   #18
Mobius1
ADCI Diver

Send a message via AIM to Mobius1 Send a message via Yahoo to Mobius1

just got bac from the bar and I have to agree but I can hardly type so do what you please haha
Old 07-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #19
chowderpuff
Lord of the Lings

Quote:
having that kind of attitude about a basic safety is about as intelligient as walking around with a colt 45 auto on your hip with the hammer back
Have you ever used a 1911?
chowderpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #20
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

If you can see the head and nothing else, with experience you can judge a legal by the space between the eyes, or the size of the jaw. It takes some practice but just pass on it if you're not sure.

Where it gets difficult is when you can't see the head or tail at all and you're just looking at the chin sticking out, or just a part of the body. Usually if it's just part of the body, I'll judge by the thickness of the fish, but it's always safer to just pass, or gently lift the fish like you did being ready to shoot (safety off) while you do so.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 AM   #21
Dawn Patrol
/._.\

If you estimate that you can line up three fingers in a row and put them between the eyes of the fish, then it is almost always legal. Approach halibut from the front whenever possible to get them not to spook.
Dawn Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #22
kvzeyde

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan kills View Post
the more you see them, the more you will be able to gauge size by the jawline, space between the eye's, tail size etc. I like to look at the tail if i can see it.

x2
kvzeyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:34 AM   #23
Mattedhead
Matt Head

Flush it and shoot it on the fly...The A.S.S.es (anti-surface shooters) will applaud!!! You have done two things--#1 you have given the poor fish a fighting chance, and #2 you can then discern the fish's size.
Mattedhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 09:49 AM   #24
Trimbandit
discord and rhyme

Quote:
having that kind of attitude about a basic safety is about as intelligient as walking around with a colt 45 auto on your hip with the hammer back
Not really because a loaded speargun should never be pointed at yourself or anyone else. I have only had a speargun go off unintentionally once, and it was when I pushed the safety off after missing a shot on a fish because the safety had toggled on.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:36 AM   #25
MiguelT
thbtbtbtbbtt

Quote:

'Nuff sed
zeN

No need to go into name calling... I think the example is closer to your idea of not keeping a gun on your hip with the hammer back. A loaded speargun is a gun with the hammer back all the time, and I sure wouldn't trust a firearm's safety in that situation anyway. imo if someone can't keep their gun pointed safely in a liquid environment then they need more pool time.

For me, and this is just my opinion, safeties are only good for missing shots on fish you could otherwise have made
MiguelT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:45 AM   #26
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiguelT View Post

For me, and this is just my opinion, safeties are only good for missing shots on fish you could otherwise have made

X2

My first experience with a safety was when I was around 12 and a buddy and me kicked off his sailboat in Cat. We were just using his and he handed the gun over, I went down for a dive. I saw a 5# sheephead, which to me was HUGE at the time, aimed up, and squeezed and squeezed. Nada... Safety was on...

Man this thread got derailed!!
Old 07-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #27
'o Cino
Help! He's got me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaholic View Post
OOOOOPs, sorry I forgot. If you are a hunter that don't know your weapons yet, and how to control and operate them, then keep your safeties on at all time.
Right On Richard

Yes, there are ocean gremlins. Yes, your speargun may discharge at any time. Yes, treat it like it's ready to kill anything in front of it.

Tank or Free, it's good with me
'o Cino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #28
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Sorry,
I have to disagree on the safety,
If your safety isn't working then your gun is not operational,
I'm not big on safeties on weapons (as today we are safety maniacs in everything in society), but pertaining to spearguns with other people in the water, all the multitasking, and the environment (water, lack of control/orientation at times, snagged in lines, and the exponential danger of an injury while in the water) the only reason a safety should be off is when you are ready to shoot or in imminent danger
None of my guns have safeties. If they did, I'd remove them.

About the only time I'm close enough to another diver to shoot him is when I go over to hold his line and help with the recovery of a fish tied up in the kelp. In those cases, I've started unloading my gun so I don't have to worry which way its pointed.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 PM   #29
Spearforfun

I think we all agree that a safety should NEVER be relied on. As Michael said, treat it like it's ready to kill something. However, I think using a safety is a personal choice as long as you never rely on it. The only true safety is your finger. Obviously never point a loaded weapon at anyone either. Most guns have their own type of safety but none of them should be considered reliable.
Spearforfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #30
NihilisticMisanthropist
Pass me the lube

Quote:

'Nuff sed
zeN
colt 45s are meant to be carried around with the hammer back. they are single action automatics. i would say carrying one without the hammer back is foolish. i would also say that carrying one without the safety on is foolish.

spearguns however are another story. some of my guns dont even have safetys. i dont point them at my friends, and i dont load them on the beach, so there is no issue.