Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 10-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #31
popgun pete

Re: Spearguns for Dogtooth Tuna

You can minimize the slide ring or stop ring damage by making it lighter. On my "Black Sea" gun the stop ring is thin and not very heavy, however it is not made of aluminium nor stainless steel, thus I don't know what it is. Titanium looks grey, but it is more silvery looking than titanium. The impact as the spear tail hits it at the muzzle entrance forces it onto the step shoulder and it can then jam on the tail. In order to unjam it I have a short metal sleeve that I carry in my dive glove which I use with my knife's hammer butt to bash it off again. The acceleration from zero to over 30 meters plus per second is what damages the stop ring. Ultimately these are consumables with powerful guns. The line slide itself is plastic, but not the skinny things used on some modern guns which have sacrificed strength for streamlining.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:50 PM   #32
popgun pete

Rubber bands are a lossy material for energy storage and that lowers the efficiency of the band gun. Pneumatic guns have low losses due to their use of compressed air column “springs” and much higher efficiency than a band gun which is further increased by the pneumovacuum system, provided it works and does not suck water into the inner barrel. This is not idle speculation as the Russians have spent years working on spearguns and their efficiency as for a long time their domestic speargun production was composed of simple and rather flawed weapons from State controlled factories. If you had the money then you bought guns from private gunsmiths who made elaborate weapons to order and to make sure that buyers got what they paid for a lot of experimental testing was done. Competing designs have always striven to increase efficiency and caused a lot of debate on their forums.

As buyers were shelling out a lot of money the gunsmith crafted guns were made of highly engineered parts and titanium bodies like this Doroganich gun and a range of Zelinka guns. Note that Zelinka is a design and not a brand, many makers produce their own versions such as the "Perun". You need a big bag of money to buy one of the latter!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	doroganich 130 titanium.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	244291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelinka rhs.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	244292   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zelinka rear biased handlex.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	244293   Click image for larger version

Name:	Perun with orange line.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	244294   Click image for larger version

Name:	perun gun.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	244295  

Old 10-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #33
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

@Gazz,
As promised, here's a snap of the slip tip line retainer solution (disregard the migrating o-ring):

Found a better pic from later on, when I started using my aforementioned Pulley Loader - hence the white dyneema bridle attached to the muzzle:

As mentioned earlier, it's just a short piece of inner tubing I picked up locally in Indonesia. The red dyneema which is looped around the inner tube makes it easier to pull the inner tube out from the barrel so you have room to tug the slip tip line under it. Not the fastest solution, but the easiest I could think of.

In reg. to your busted slide rings, I don't know if you have time to try out some of the Pelengas ones. They should be hydro braking and I have some custom ones of a similar design which I have never had an issue with - and that's running higher pressures than most. If you do go the Pelengas route then I would email them and ask them specifically if they would work with the shaft end you are using now (the fit is important when hydro braking) or get some tail ends from them. Alternatively, you can try to source custom ones from the guy who made mine but he may not have time to get parts to you right away (he also made the muzzle you see in the pic above). PM me if you want a connect.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 10-21-2019 at 07:36 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 02:19 PM   #34
popgun pete

I bought one of the Pelengas titanium sliders in 7 mm, but have not used it yet as it was to replace the stainless steel slider on my Pelengas. However the original slider works OK and to replace it I need to undo the spear tail as the shaft has an integral tip, consequently I have not bothered to change it.

Right now there is one of these left (7 mm version).
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Titanium...UAAOSw8w1X9jGs

They also have the same thing in 8 mm, I bought one recently, but don't have it yet.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/133108947174

I just measured the 7 mm slider and it is sized for a 7 mm shaft and an 8 mm stop diameter. I expect that the 8 mm slider will be sized for an 8 mm shaft and a 9 mm stop diameter. Shafts usually have a 0.5 mm step for their tail stops.

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-21-2019 at 03:18 PM. Reason: added comment
Old 10-21-2019, 02:30 PM   #35
popgun pete

Speaking of Pelengas they now have a larger version of their reel. 35 to 40 meters capacity depending on line diameter.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Big-Univ...AAAOSwzvhdk0Nk
Old 10-21-2019, 06:56 PM   #36
popgun pete

Here are a bunch of pneumatic speargun tails and sliders, or line slides.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Assorted tails 1.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	244299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Assorted tails 2.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	244300   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pelengas tails.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	244301  
Old 10-21-2019, 08:00 PM   #37
ninjagazz

Thanks Guys,

I will give the Pelengas sliders a try when i am back from the trip.

What do you mean by hydro breaking?

I might see if i can find some metal tubing to bash down the jammed slider. but my last one the tang needs to be removed and the slider needs to be redrilled. I might use a larger tang.
ninjagazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:58 PM   #38
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjagazz View Post
Thanks Guys,

I will give the Pelengas sliders a try when i am back from the trip.

What do you mean by hydro breaking?

I might see if i can find some metal tubing to bash down the jammed slider. but my last one the tang needs to be removed and the slider needs to be redrilled. I might use a larger tang.
Hydrobraking is when the slider works like a little pump when the spear tail slides into it. The clearances need to be small, but not so small that the parts jam. This diagram is for polyurethane shaft stops, but the principle is the same. Water being incompressible the action of moving the trapped water out slows the impact down.