Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Repairs to Engines and Boats

Repairs to Engines and Boats BOAT means "Break Out Another Thousand" to many of us. Discuss your engine and hull repairs here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-06-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
gogators27
Lets shoot some fish!

???lower unit rebuilt or replaced, 250 hp yam OX66 saltwater series II 25" shaft

So our lower unit went out in the keys this past weekend, now the boat is back in Tampa, we saw that you can get a new lower unit that is not Yamaha from SEI for 845 bucks... also have seen prices to rebuild ours for more than that... anybody selling a used one? Any tips or recommendations? Has anyone bought the SEI ones and what was your experience?

Playing with the idea of rebuilding our self... any body done that?
gogators27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
xrispearo
you cant see mee

Re: ???lower unit rebuilt or replaced, 250 hp yam OX66 saltwater series II 25" shaft

Try rebuilding, if you have time. Look on CL. Very popular motor and should be easy to find a lower unit for
Old 08-08-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
brothertodd
"You Gotta Eat"

Re: ???lower unit rebuilt or replaced, 250 hp yam OX66 saltwater series II 25" shaft

We are not afraid of rebuilding, we Have the Repair Manual. Do you really need these specialized Pullars that are called out in the Repair Manual? Has anyone personally rebuilt one of these?
brothertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:24 PM   #4
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Todd, I think you do need a spanner socket or wrench but I don't think there is any more than that and know how. I would do youtube search and go from there.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
Man-O-War
Lothario

SEI has 3 year no fault warranty. And no core required! Its located on FL West Coast too, so 1 day shipping. Definitely go that route, by the time you buy gears and bearings and seals and tools and shim it right - you will be deep in it
Man-O-War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

I have heard nothing but good stuff about SEI. I'd go that way.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Gary Schulte

Send a message via AIM to Gary Schulte

Okay, this should be all you need to know about SEI lower units. Oh, and it's not me talking it's a guy you all know named Louis Rossignol. He responded to a thread on The Hull Truth about his experiences with SEI lower units. So here's a copy paste from that thread and a link. Then you can read his responce to my PM about the subject.

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-...wer-units.html

Louis:

I am on my 3rd lower unit from them.

The first one I received wouldn't pump enough water for my OX66 250 Yamaha.

I had to send it back, they paid shipping. The owner of the company told me that their aftermarket water pump liner was .0002 of an inch off and it wouldn't pump for the bigger motors like mine. Also my motor is a 30' shaft. Also 2 week wait.

They sent me the same unit back, water pump changed. I put new oil in it, and started using it. I changed the oil as scheduled and the oil started looking milky. I changed it again before a spearfishing tournament. On day 2 of the tournament the unit left me stranded offshore. (Note; I change the O Ring's on the drain and vent plug every time to eliminate any leaks on my part)

When I got home, I took the prop off and I could see bubbles coming out of the prop shaft seal.

$105.00 shipping, I sent it back. 3 week wait, all through Red Snapper season.

They rebuilt the same case, and shipped it back to me. I started the break in process again. I was noticing that every time I'd change oil there was an unusual amount of metal shaving on the drain plug. So much so, that if I just try to check the oil, I can't even get the plug back in. I got so paranoid that this thing is going to leave me stranded, that I'm into oil change #5 when I started noticing the oil is getting lighter and lighter. And since there is no such thing as just checking it due to the shavings, I'm into full oil changes each time.
Getting ready to go out this past Friday, I have brand new oil in the unit, brand new O Ring gaskets on the plugs. The trip was only 45mi. round trip. We were supposed to go out yesterday, also, but it was too cold and too rough, so we canceled (good thing, I may not have made it ******. I was planning on our next trip to be further so I tell my buddy, let's check this oil to make sure we are good. I open the drain plug to find nothing but milk coming out of the unit. The unit is now boxed and the owner will get a call in the morning.

I figure I have $105.00 + probably 8 oil changes at $22.00 a pop($11.00 a quart) + $300.00 or more in fuel for the break ins + plus the cost of the lower unit itself and many hours of labor and Monday another $105.00 to ship this back to them again.

The first picture is a picture of the shavings I was getting out of the unit every time I changed the oil. This was the 5th oil change and their was still no reduction in shavings, I was considering flushing the unit out with kerosene or something but never did get to that.

The second picture is also that 5th oil change and I was suspicious of the color of the oil, it appears to have water in it, and nevermind the bubbles you see, I ran the motor before I pulled the drain plug and water dripped into the pan from the motor. I was concerned about the metal shavings and I figured if I got the unit warm before changing the oil, more of the shavings would come out of the unit and maybe I'd start to see a reduction in shavings.

The third picture is after only a 45 mi. trip, my suspicions were correct. I thought I could see this same milk around the prop shaft seal, but my eyes aren't what they used to be.

I hope Monday morning when I talk to the owner it produces some good results. Wish me luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There's much more to his story so click on the link and read through it. A warranty doesn't mean crap if you continue to have problems. Here's his response to my PM about the REI lower units:

I really believe the people that have good experiences with SEI are people that hardly use their boats. SEI would be just fine if all you are going to do is putt around the marina. If I have a weak link on my boat, I know it, and quick.

From what I was told, deep V boats are the worst when concerning SEI. I'd change the oil and get tons of shavings from a brand new unit on every oil change, not just the first.

If I were you, I'd look for a used OEM, your motor is used anyway.

Early last year, I tore the lower unit up on my 250F, yami. The motor was used commercially during the BP oil spill, and it had 200 hrs. on it but the lower unit looked like crap when I bought it. I dug deep and forked out 3g's and just bought new, haven't had any problems and I've already put a ton of hours on it. Every time I check the oil, it's full and clear. Every time I checked the SEI, it was milk, even after one trip.
Gary Schulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

And on the other side of the coin, a good friend of mine put one on a 225 Yammi 4 stroke. has 400+ hours on it and 3 years. No problems.

Smart people realize they know very little.
Stupid people think they know everything.
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:09 PM   #9
mcscottie

We have been using SEI lowers for years on customer boats with almost zero issues. Did have one fail during first year but SEI sent a replacement right out, we sent the bad one back and got full credit for it, no problem. Do Not rebuild unless you know what you are doing. Also parts will cost near what the SEI does.
mcscottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #10
anthropisces

I had a lower unit from a Merc (I'm powered by an OX66 now) rebuilt once. I used it a few times and everything seemed ok. Soon after I was going over the thing for general maintenance. Even though I'd had the lower unit rebuilt just a few motor hours earlier I checked the oil level. I immediately noticed that the screw was loose and then the "oil" came out, looking like chocolate milk. I called the shop who did the service and he gave me the "we didn't do it!" response that all of us learned when we were two and still do. The moral of the story is you are damned if you do and damned if you don't rebuild it yourself. No matter what you do it will be a learning experience, if only in retaining a sense of calm. I didn't want to go through the learning curve of taking the slack out of the gears and I ended up putting it in the hands of the "experts".