Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 127 votes, 4.97 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2019, 07:16 AM   #3286
Basskrieg

Re: Current Vis - Tampa Bay Region (Homosassa to Sarasota)

~25 miles off Anna Maria yesterday (Tuesday 4th), dive conditions were awesome, dead flat seas, 3 mph wind, 60' of water, could see rocks and bottom from the boat. Temp was 87 on the bottom, no thermocline, and vis TTB. Chased around some bigs gags but they were skittish! Finished the day with some hook and line with 6 red grouper and mix of the normal keep....
Basskrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:30 AM   #3287
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
https://1drv.ms/v/s!Akmwohf80MKWlGPSf7RlucGc5evX

My temp Sat out of CLearwater pass was 81 degrees in 55'. Wore a skin for the sun and abrasion protection if reaching under ledges. Also for any stinging creatures in the gulf.

Experimenting with placing first video. Dive one, 8 min video condensed to 3 min. Nice viz. likely better than the 25' I said earlier. Closer to 35'. First fish wasn't great first shot. I was happy enough with shot into second though. First was just under 26", second was 26.5".

I just wanted to nab my 2 gags and let the other divers get going on opening day. They had done the work ahead of time To pre-dive and create the dive plan on 5/30/19 while I was behind a desk at work.
Nice video. Aside from the gratification we get when stoning fish, putting a second shaft into one is a close second.

Set up a YouTube account and then you can embed here.
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:35 AM   #3288
CatDiver

Nice video. I'll second the Youtube suggestion. It's free and easy. I started with OneDrive too but it's just not as easy to share and you either have to pay for space or you run out of space.
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:54 PM   #3289
Dbrown

Ok guys. Thanks Cuzza and Catdiver. Will do that and make another video and post.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:14 PM   #3290
grock

Very nice looking forward to shooting together. g
grock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #3291
Wromanik

Anyone still active here? Iím in St Pete and just been hitting Skyway and a few other shore dive spots (donít own a boat) looking for free divers or scuba divers to dive with. Recently moved from Key West and been dying to get out and shoot. I work nights so weekend and weekday trips are all good. (505)795-3300
Wromanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #3292
heybuddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wromanik View Post
Anyone still active here? Iím in St Pete and just been hitting Skyway and a few other shore dive spots (donít own a boat) looking for free divers or scuba divers to dive with. Recently moved from Key West and been dying to get out and shoot. I work nights so weekend and weekday trips are all good. (505)795-3300
I freedive and have a boat. Need divers from time to time. I just sent you a PM...
heybuddies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #3293
grey2112
Capt. of Pickled Pelican

Nice day (sort of - LOL) Dave! I was supposed to dive Tuesday/Wednesday but this damn weather is keeping my puny little 25 foot boat landlocked
grey2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 01:59 PM   #3294
Dbrown

Here is some video from last week. Trying with YouTube as requested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gBScpFU_Qj0
Old 06-09-2019, 03:31 PM   #3295
CuzzA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbrown View Post
Here is some video from last week. Trying with YouTube as requested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gBScpFU_Qj0
Nice video. So in order to embed here with this old forum software you have to do three steps.

Click the "share" button below the YouTube video.
Click copy link and Paste link here.
Delete the "s" from https

For example:

Your video would be h t t p : / / y o u t u . b e / g B S c p F U _ Q j 0

Old 06-09-2019, 07:52 PM   #3296
Dbrown

Thanks Jim.
I will see about doing that next time. Appreciate the help and guidance.

So I'm a little disappointed for anyone viewing the video on what seems to happen when I move the video off of the GoPro to a platform like YouTube or Onedrive. It does degrade. On the above video, you could never see the first grouper I shot as he was hiding pretty well, but you could very clearly see another grouper swim past after I shot the first one. You could also very clearly see the second grouper I shot (along with another next to it) when I had the GoPro footage playing directly to my tv. But I guess that may just be how it goes.
Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 PM   #3297
CuzzA

YouTube does change the format which is likely less quality than the raw video. Make sure when you output the video from your video editing software you do it in 60 frames per second and higher resolution if that's what you shot it in. Though I find higher resolutions like 4k create massive files and long uploads and so lately I find myself just outputting in 1080 60 fps. It can take time for YT to process the video into higher quality so sometimes patience is all that's needed. Also, it's not uncommon for YouTube to play videos at lower resolution to save on bandwidth. You can manually adjust it by clicking the settings gear icon. You can permanently fix it by adding a browser extension to force the video to play at higher resolution, cinema mode and block ads.

Here's one option for Chrome.
https://autohdforyoutube.com/

Also, I'll add, a good video editing software with a decent auto color correct feature is Movavi. Install the free trial software then try and uninstall. It will usually give you a nice discount code. Another really good mobile app that does an outstanding job at color correcting is Dive Plus. Though the freeware comes with a water mark and is limited to one minute clips. Not ideal if you're cutting a bunch of clips together. I don't know how much the paid version is. I'd rather have a desktop app. I like to take top side shot and what not just to change up my videos. But at the end of the day, I just want to make a short summary and document of my dive trips. Of course not all of them make the cut... Like diving in gumbo.

Last edited by CuzzA; 06-09-2019 at 08:46 PM.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:15 AM   #3298
CatDiver

I thought the video looked good. Nice dive!
CatDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:32 AM   #3299
Tyson Brown
Mer*Man*. Mer-MAN!!!

Sat 6/15/19: 55' off Anclote - vis 25', not super fishy but got some. I didn't see any shooter gags the whole day, but a couple guys saw one or two decent ones. Seems like they had moved away. We thought to try shallower, tried 40'-ish, same thing - vis was tad worse, maybe 20', quite a bit of larger suspended particulate. Great day on the water but fish were on summer vacation
Old 06-17-2019, 06:01 PM   #3300
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Left Friday morning for an overnight trip with 4 friends. We dove mostly 90 to 105 ft. depths. Seas were kinda bumpy on Friday and Friday night but laid down nicely on Saturday. Visibility was exceptional (at least 60ft on Friday) and about 35 to 40ft. on Saturday. Temp was about 80 degrees and no thermocline at all. We had to work hard to find fish. Most spots had several shootable Mango’s and Hogs but Gags and ARS were scarce. We did finally land on one spot that had a swarm of large ARS and we quickly boated our limit of 10.

We anchored up for the night on a small ledge in 95ft. We fished the sundowner with live squirrel fish and hook into 6 or 8 large Gags that easily busted 60lb mainline on our reels. It was unfortunate we could not boat any of those big Gags but I figured we could maybe shoot a few the next morning. We fired down some live baits in the morning and managed to boat 5 legal size Gags but none of the monsters we hooked the night before seemed interested. We dove the spot and shot several nice Mangos and 5 male Hogs but the big Gags we hooked the night before had apparently moved on.

We ended up with 10 ARS, 8 Gags, 10 Hogs, and about 20 Mangos. Overall it was a great trip and looking forward to this weekend to do it all over again.

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is online now   Reply With Quote