Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion

General Spearfishing & Diving Discussion This is where you post to discuss general spearfishing topics that could apply to any region.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #76
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

Re: Triggerfish good eating? They ugly bastards. . .

I recently purchased a pole spear to harvest more triggs quicker, this is another oldie but goodie regarding the little bastards..
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...fish+stringing
Old 08-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #77
gatorbrown2

The problem is now the Feds think they are in decline and have limits as well as a season.. Need to take them under a rig and gut shoot something and hand them the gun.. Then get out of the way.. Ha!!!
gatorbrown2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #78
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wndsurfrjim View Post
I recently purchased a pole spear to harvest more triggs quicker, this is another oldie but goodie regarding the little bastards..
http://www.spearboard.com/showthread...fish+stringing
multi-prong pole spear is the best way to take them. You have better control of them..

jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM   #79
quatin

You carry a pole spear and a spear gun at the same time? That's actually a pretty neat idea. Pole spear for the smaller fish or for a 2nd shot on fish that wasn't stoned.
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:35 PM   #80
FredT

Back in the dark ages we would target them on the rigs as a last dive of the day if we had a cooler still empty and saw a school. The technique is very simple but takes 2 pole spears. One spear is set up with a flip barb tip to serve as a stringer, the other one just has a slightly oversize tip (a 3/8" tip on a 5/16 shaft extension works well) and is used as the shooting spear.

The technique takes advantage of the bloodthirsty nature of the triggers. The first thing is to find a school of triggers and shoot one through the gill plate next to any kind of structure. Place shot fish on structure with the barbless pole spear, and spear trigger through the eyes onto the barbed pole, When you pull the barbless one out of the fish it will pull the fish up past the barb on the other one. Place barbless tip back on the structure and "cock" the pole spear while holding the speared fish up clear of the structure. Use "cocked" shooting spear to shoot one of the triggers trying to eat the first speared fish. Thread that one onto the stringer spear. Repeat this action until you have the limit of triggers stacked up on the barbed stringer pole spear. (generally small single digit minutes)

The only real trick with this is maintaining HARD control of the "stringer" pole until the fish on it are safely transferred to the cooler and iced. Being bitten by one trigger sucks, but being bitten at the same time by a couple of feet of them is way beyond "sucks."
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #81
Freedvrjim
straight shooter

Thumbs up Re: Triggerfish good eating? They ugly bastards. . .

5 prong tip seems a bit much.. I got the 3 tip paralyzer Rife and it is awesome!
I would probably not Freedive with a gun and a pole spear at the same time but that's convenient for scuba.
The pole spear simply speeds up the time between stringing triggs since there are no lines to deal with and no down time re loading I now keep my pole spear handy on the yak in case I happen upon a big school of the little nippers!
-Jimmy
Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #82
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by quatin View Post
You carry a pole spear and a spear gun at the same time? That's actually a pretty neat idea. Pole spear for the smaller fish or for a 2nd shot on fish that wasn't stoned.
Yes it is not unusual for East coast florida divers to do that.. Rare on the west coast.. probably because they have no lobsters.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #83
Jared44

a lot of guys in Hawaii carry both as well, many uses, but pole for under rock shooting, gun for longer above rock shots. Also a pole spear is handy for Tako, and you still have your gun free for a random swim by while your pole spear is all wrapped up.
Jared44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:15 AM   #84
trawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck7 View Post
I like em. Major pain in the ass to get the filets though. That skin is TOUGH.
+1
Excellent meat. Not much per fish though. Shoot as many as you can if you want to feed a group. And sharpen your knives good. I sometimes used a razorblade to score the skin first.
trawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:45 AM   #85
quatin

Triggers are the easiest fish to clean.

Don't cut from the outside, cut it from the inside out. Make an incision on the edge, then turn the blade outwards and cut all the way around the fillet, like you would with any other fish . Then get a pair of pliers and peel the skin off, just like with catfish.
quatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:40 PM   #86
A-Train

i see this is an old thread but im a new Spearo here and I wish I would have found this thread before my first ever spear fishing experience this year. we went out of perdido pass out to hit the I-10 bridge rubble real quick one evening. once I got to the bottom the triggers were all over and good size. I speared the first and strung him through the eyes (BIG MISTAKE) reloaded the Riffe and hit another. while pulling him in the other on the stringer latched right on to the fatty part of my leg just under my ARSE.... Yes the little bastards are great for fish sandwiches but will leave a bruise and blood whelp when they bite lol.... they are like pit bulls of the ocean, he bit and clamped down, took quite a pull to get him off, lessons learned now I go through the eyes and the mouth of the little bugger. the head is like a metal shield so I don't even bother with the knife kill. \

Any how.... happy spearing to all .... who else has fallen victim to the Trigger fish Bite????????
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #87
jersymudsniper

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Train View Post
i see this is an old thread but im a new Spearo here and I wish I would have found this thread before my first ever spear fishing experience this year. we went out of perdido pass out to hit the I-10 bridge rubble real quick one evening. once I got to the bottom the triggers were all over and good size. I speared the first and strung him through the eyes (BIG MISTAKE) reloaded the Riffe and hit another. while pulling him in the other on the stringer latched right on to the fatty part of my leg just under my ARSE.... Yes the little bastards are great for fish sandwiches but will leave a bruise and blood whelp when they bite lol.... they are like pit bulls of the ocean, he bit and clamped down, took quite a pull to get him off, lessons learned now I go through the eyes and the mouth of the little bugger. the head is like a metal shield so I don't even bother with the knife kill. \

Any how.... happy spearing to all .... who else has fallen victim to the Trigger fish Bite????????
Cut their jaws before or after you string them up. I've been bit few times. Now i knife the jaws.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 09:50 PM   #88
A-Train

Noted lol
A-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #89
Shorediver

Yes triggerfish is good eating, especially the ocean triggerfish.
Shorediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:42 AM   #90
Dangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Son View Post
Easy to clean. Save your knife edge. Most people try to ut through the skin wrong & dull the blade.

Just make one small cut near the head. Then slip the blade under the skin & cut from the inside out. Easy as can be. Cut across the body & along both the back & belly to the tail, then just pull the skin off. Then fillet the meat.
EXACTLY, just need a little hole with the knife point, then work from underside of skin and it cuts easily, same for behind the head, just cut underneath and then you can make the down cut.

Best Ceviche ever.