Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 12-13-2013, 06:29 PM   #1
acteg

New guy with a couple of questions

Hey fellas, been diving for a few years now. Generally drift dives out of Jupiter or shore dives in the Pompano/Lauderdale area. Just picked up a 54" AB Biller LTD Padauk for a couple of bills, and want to try my hand at spearfishing. I know Biller's aren't the best guns, but think it will make a good beginner for me, and hopefully I can get most of my money back when I'm ready to unload it and upgrade it.

So my question is, what charters do you guys recommend for spearfishing? I have used Capt. SL8R, JDC, PDC, JASA, and SFDHQ over the years, but none of these ops seem to be geared specifically for spearfishing. Is there any operators that are geared specifically for spearfishing? Who do you recommend? The main reason I want to go on a spearfishing focused charter, is 1. I want to get fish, and 2. I hope to pick up some pointers from the veterans.

Does anyone shore dive? Seems like a long swim back with fish and a gun from the dropoff.

thanks in advance
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
seadogger

Re: New guy with a couple of questions

Don't know much about all the spearfishing friendly charters in your area except Randy Jordan and his Emerald charters, good guy lots of fun. I will comment on the Biller 54. Don't underestimate that gun. It is a good quality intro gun for the money. It can kill anything you shoot at......within reason !! Iv'e killed 70lb plus cobes and big grouper with it !!

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Roger that. Nothing wrong with that gun. It's easy to add accessories to. Learn to make you own bands to the length you want in order to power it up. You can easily add light holder to the front, kill spike/shark poker, side mounts for extra shafts for freeshafting, reel, etc...
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Waterlogged

Hypnautical dive charters
Waterlogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #5
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlogged View Post
Hypnautical dive charters
Yep...forgot about John !! He has a nice cat hull and does great trips as well. Plus when you want to upgrade to a custom gun, he builds a great Koah !!

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
florfreediver

Anyone know if Chad Palan is running his charter spearfishing business?
He obtained his Captain's License probably about a year ago, with the intent of starting a charter scuba and/or freedive spearfishing venture.

Mike
florfreediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #7
Itchy Trigger
Slagin' Steel

Emerald charters is the boat that you're looking for. Randy Jordan is one of the greatest teachers in all of Florida. He loves sharing the knowledge that he has gained with new spear fishers. I have personally learned numerous lessons from diving with him and he is personally responsible for some of the biggest fish that I've ever shot. He even went so far as to call me over to shoot a monster Warsaw when he easily could have taken it himself. He has the happiest customers I've ever seen and they never go home empty handed.

Hypnautical is good too but I don't know how often he runs trips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	199610  
Itchy Trigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:06 PM   #8
Weapon X

Dixie divers does spearfishing/lobstering on Thursdays. Haven't gone out so I can't comment on it.
Weapon X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
SpearitPBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by florfreediver View Post
Anyone know if Chad Palan is running his charter spearfishing business?
He obtained his Captain's License probably about a year ago, with the intent of starting a charter scuba and/or freedive spearfishing venture.

Mike
Captain Chad Palan:

https://www.facebook.com/Killshotspearfishing

Old 12-15-2013, 11:55 PM   #10
acteg

Great info guys. Really appreciate the advice. I'll give emerald a shot. Hope to get in the water over the Christmas break
acteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 06:11 AM   #11
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Hypnautical is awesome! John is a stand up guy! And yes, he guns are among the best to say the least!
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
Amazz

You will like diving with Randy on Emerald +

He's fun and you'll learn a lot from him. I hear great things about Hypnautical. Never been on the boat, but John is a super nice guy. Also consider Calypso Dive Charters, the Miss Jackie. Just make sure you aren't on one of their shark photo charters. That could get ugly for you.
Amazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #13
JustinL

Check out http://www.aqua-hunter.com/

He's a sponsor of this board and more than willing to help you learn to spearfish, he and his crew helped me out. Todd runs out of the Lake Park Marina.
JustinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinL View Post
Check out http://www.aqua-hunter.com/

He's a sponsor of this board and more than willing to help you learn to spearfish, he and his crew helped me out. Todd runs out of the Lake Park Marina.
Agreed, forget cattle boats. Todd's rig is badass, super cool guy too.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:38 AM   #15
1stbite

Calypso Dive Charters -- Miss Jackie also do spearfishing trips. www.calypsodivecharters.com 561-246-3727
1stbite is offline   Reply With Quote