Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 84 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #2431
Pelagics1988

Re: Daily Vis report thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_Trident View Post
Yeah, I will never go through that process again. Too much effort. When they told me it was mandatory for a biologist to see the fish to verify the species and said one wasn’t in the office, they asked me to freeze the fish whole. I said “I don’t shoot fish for the pleasure of it, I do it to eat them. I’m not wasting this fish by freezing it for a submission.” Somehow they got somebody to check it out the same day but made me drive down to the facility.

I’d say for the most part our species are fairly identifiable via photo. Don’t know why it’s so complicated. Whatever, just my two cents.
They did the same thing to me. It was all the way in south jersey. The written guideline for the process never said it was required to preserve the fish, and submit it to a state biologist when they are working. Therefore, I originally thought I was going to be able to eat it after weigh in at the tackle shop so it didn't go to waste. After speaking with the biologist and explaining its a shame the fish goes to waste, they assured me the submitted fish are used for testing and research in their facilities, so it doesn't technically go to waste. I guess it made me feel a little better, but either way, the process and headaches tracking down the right people and making sure the bait shop had all the certification (and registration) papers was too much for a 4.2 pound fish (3.8 pounds by the time i finally got it to biologist).
Pelagics1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:56 AM   #2432
Dloat

Funny that the process for world record submissions is easier.
Dloat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #2433
Mana'squal

Guess which dumb ass dove through that gale? Last time I trust the radar. Took a 19” fluke though. Get in their boys the vis is about 1.5’ on the bottom.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 02:38 PM   #2434
Mana'squal

I Hit BI sunday am, started out bad and got worse, visiting Squan just to see if maybe it was workable, even worse there. Doubt it will clean up by Thursday for Tautog
Old 08-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #2435
NJ_Trident

I haven't dove in weeks. Decided to hop in yesterday just to swim around. Visibility was maybe 2-3' sometimes less. All things considered, I wound up with a 21" Fluke, which I think I am going to try and make sushi out of.

Completely forgot that yesterday was the opening day for Tautog.
NJ_Trident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #2436
Mana'squal

Quote:
I haven't dove in weeks. Decided to hop in yesterday just to swim around. Visibility was maybe 2-3' sometimes less. All things considered, I wound up with a 21" Fluke, which I think I am going to try and make sushi out of.

Completely forgot that yesterday was the opening day for Tautog.
It was same at Manasquan. I missed two bass couldnt swing the gun through the current. Missed a 24" fluke to a moron shot.

How do you prepare fluke for sushis? I've got two at 21" on ice now. I'm feeling brave.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #2437
NJ_Trident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
It was same at Manasquan. I missed two bass couldnt swing the gun through the current. Missed a 24" fluke to a moron shot.

How do you prepare fluke for sushis? I've got two at 21" on ice now. I'm feeling brave.
Pretty easy. Rice wise, just use a rice cooker. Say you use white rice, it is a 1:1 ratio for the rice and water. Just remember to rinse the rice first. You'll see a cloudy/milky solution come off. Once you make the rice, you'll need to cut in rice vinegar (store bought Kikkoman works well enough). So if you made 1 cup of rice (yield = 2 cups), cut in about 1/4 cup of rice vinegar, maybe a little less as you can always add more.

As for preparing the fish, just watch this guy -
https://youtu.be/tJSu0PInUFs?list=PL...R1AhiCdqbtOx_0
Old 08-02-2019, 10:49 AM   #2438
basstomouth
David

Dove in the Manasquan river today, 5’ viz maybe, managed a bass and a friend landed a tog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69F7B27F-B5F2-4F81-8EE4-8E05D2EC275A.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	243634  
Old 08-05-2019, 05:38 AM   #2439
NJ_Trident

Got out on Saturday, more so out of boredom than anything else. Got buzzed by a nice school of bass, and got a 38" fish. Filleted and bartered it with my friend for some venison in the near future. Also shot a blackfish. Vis was anywhere between 2-5' at times.

I've found that a lot of bass tend to have wounds or lesions on them.

Also, made the sushi out of the fluke. It was excellent. Put scallion, shredded carrot, fluke, and avocado in the roll. Served with a little spicy mayo and soy sauce. Made the girlfriend a vegetarian roll using shiitake mushroom.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:24 AM   #2440
Mana'squal

Tight vis took 2 triggers and 2 fluke and this sheep. Lost a 40#+ fish. 28” gun just couldn’t get full penetration with a fish that big quartering away. Fought like nothing ive ever shot. I couldn’t even make it to the surface. Got about 5’ from the surface and started losing ground and had to drop the gun. Fought it from the rocks gasping for air when it pulled the shaft. Going to haunt me for a long time

Name:	7E107F2C-9812-4915-B7B4-FD9447B0CE14.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	243672
Old 08-07-2019, 01:00 PM   #2441
NJ_Trident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
Tight vis took 2 triggers and 2 fluke and this sheep. Lost a 40#+ fish. 28” gun just couldn’t get full penetration with a fish that big quartering away. Fought like nothing ive ever shot. I couldn’t even make it to the surface. Got about 5’ from the surface and started losing ground and had to drop the gun. Fought it from the rocks gasping for air when it pulled the shaft. Going to haunt me for a long time

Attachment 243672
Some might say with an under powered gun, you should have never taken that shot, but in your position, with a potential fish of the lifetime for our waters, I can't fault you. I can only imagine how that feels between not landing the fish. Sucks doubly to injure a fish like that and not land it. Glad to hear you made it out safely, could have been a bad situation if you held the gun.

Otherwise good catch You seem to be the only when diving these days! I'm hoping to get out at some point this weekend.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:50 PM   #2442
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Sorry to hear that it’s a bummer!

If you shoot a strong fish like that with low power gun, from little far away or aren’t 100% sure of the shot let go right away. I’ve found it’s the hard stop that rips a lot of iffy shots out that you may otherwise land with a light touch. Bass run out of gas pretty quick relatively speaking so if you never dead stop them during mid-run on the initial strongest runs you can get some surprisingly bad shots in.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:51 PM   #2443
Mana'squal

Quote:
Some might say with an under powered gun, you should have never taken that shot, but in your position, with a potential fish of the lifetime for our waters, I can't fault you. I can only imagine how that feels between not landing the fish. Sucks doubly to injure a fish like that and not land it. Glad to hear you made it out safely, could have been a bad situation if you held the gun.

Otherwise good catch You seem to be the only when diving these days! I'm hoping to get out at some point this weekend.

I can’t really blame the gun. It’s 3 bands at 350% had I not chosen to take off the slip tip before going out in favor of a flopper or if I’d dropped the gun immediately or chosen to swim down the fish or just fought the fish with more tact I would have the fish and be bragging. Got buck fever made mistakes and learned a few things. Next time I’ll get it.
Old 08-07-2019, 01:53 PM   #2444
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

We’ve all had fish fever!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #2445
Orbayburak

Had 2 good trips last 2 weeks. Last trip we had great variety as we hit few different spots both shallow and deeper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_74351.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	243702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7446.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	243703   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7539.jpg
Views:	221