Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 01-26-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Twisted Trader

Baja Diving Expedition Buddy Needed

Here is my plan, and I need a diving /kayaking buddy to get it all done. Starting out by crossing into Mexico in Calexico, and driving past San Felipe to the pristine waters of the Sea of Cortez. I want to stop and dive where ever possible and find fish,to grill, or clams to turn into chowder. One never knows when a lobster might jump into the pot. Oops, I forgot the scallops.
We don't need no stinking tanks. Freediving at the little coves, and kayaking out to the offshore islands to explore and come up with great items for dinner. I want to stop by Puertecitos, Gonzaga Bay, Punta Finale, Punta Bufeo, Bahia De Los Angeles,Loreto, and as many other locations as possible to find stuff to eat, and to explore beautiful Baja. I have a little pick up, a kayak, all the dive gear, and all the camping gear. What I want to find is someone who wants to do the same thing. Spanish speaking would be great. Age and sex is not a problem.
Help me out folks. Give me information on the great dive and camp locations. I am not interested in houses that rent for $1000 a week. I will be camping.
I want to start about mid May, before it gets too hot, and it will take about 2 weeks before I start to smell too bad and need a shave. This will be an adventure of a lifetime.
Twisted Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
norcalsurfer

Re: Baja Diving Expedition Buddy Needed

Keep me in mind, I would love to do this! My school semester ends mid May and this would be a bad ass way to kick off summer vacation.
norcalsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
turtle714
IDGAF

keep in mind...i think the lobster hopping into the pot is illegal in mexico if you're a us citizen no?
turtle714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
SoCalH2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle714 View Post
keep in mind...i think the lobster hopping into the pot is illegal in mexico if you're a us citizen no?
Jail time for non-Mexicans taking lobsters, it's on of the largest exports of the country and they take it serious.
SoCalH2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:16 PM   #5
Twisted Trader

Since I don't want to visit the inside of a Mexican jail, I will buy them from the locals. The rock fish are good eating. A couple of Modelo negros, frejoles and fresh grilled rock cod is going to be a great way to end every day for a couple of weeks.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #6
turtle714
IDGAF

Some advice from BajaHunter on Mexico trips, this advice is worth gold when down in the Sea of Cortez cuz those noseeumz make life miserable down there:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajahunter View Post

That way you get pleasure both ways....

Now this is serious, the only repellent that works against Jejenes (noseums) in Baja and this are the worst biters of all, that sting will last a long time, is avons skinsosoft repellent it even comes as a sunscreen repellent mix.
Don't forget your Mexican fishing license, yes, they are checking them now and your passport to get back in the US.
You're a reef hunter so bring a file to keep those shafts sharp, and a stone for your knifes.
Never leave stuff unattended in the back of your truck.
Don't forget to stop at Adelitas, they have a very nice dive shop.
What part or Mexico are you going to??
turtle714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Twisted Trader

Will add insect repellant to the list along with SPF 30 sunscreen. Will be getting Fishing License and tourist visa at the border. Already have the passport. Leaving all the semi automatic weapons at home. Filet knives and stones on the list. I am planning on just Baja. Gonzaga bay, Puericitos, Bay of LA, Guerro Negro, Bahia Conception, Loreto, San Carlos, Magdalena Bay for the clams, and San Quintin for the clams too. I currently am not planning to go as far south as La Paz. I am open to suggestions. I do know about the winds. My schedule is flexible. I am willing to wait a day or two if a dive spot looks great and the seas are too blown out. I am too old to do stupid crap. Love the chocolate clams raw and in a garlic and olive oil sauce with pasta. Nothing wrong with a humbolt squid either. I have had my fill of Abalone. The scallops are to savor.I am planning on the small campgrounds in these locations. No off roading.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:29 PM   #8
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

You're going to need more than 2 weeks to hit all those locations and your plan of no off roading isn't going to fly. Just running from Puertocitos to BOLA is going to rattle the lug nuts off your wheels, and speaking of which, for that run make sure you have AT LEAST two spare tires for your truck.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
MACKFISH

Sounds like a fun trip!Dont want to be a downer but just keep in mind you are not allowed to take clams or scallops down there.Read up on your spearfishing limit for fish so you dont go over if your taking some home.Good luck and have fun.Also dont shoot the GOLDEN GROUPER it will give you bad luck and you could possibly piss off the natives!:-) ps watch the wind if your taking the kayak off shore.If you see the frigate birds flying really high in the morning,then they are riding the thermals and the wind is coming.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #10
Smash
Monterey Bay Triton

I've always want to make a trip like this. I'm not going anytime soon, but I'd like to thank everyone for the advice they have shared. I learned an amazing amount in the three minutes it took to read this thread, When I do go I'll make sure to remember this thread. This thread should be the poster child for what's good about spearboard.

VP, Monterey Bay Tritons
Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
Totoop

If you are a bit flexible with where you visit I have an idea and would be very interested in this trip....

I will be working (starting next fall) in Bahia Kino on the mainland coast of the sea of cortez. I would be interested in paddling/camping our way down the coast of baja and island hopping our way across to the mainland via the midriff islands. There would be a few treacherous crossing but it definitely can be done safely. As for the spearing, when you start getting further into the gulf offshore and near upwelling areas around the island the spearing gets unbelievable (speaking from experience). Just a thought, I'll keep an eye on this thread.
Totoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
ddonnell
Davis Donnell

Thought I'd throw out a road update: paved from Puertecitos to Gonzaga, with another 10km graded gravel. Its not a very fast road, fyi, since they cut through the mountains with steep cuts, rocks, and big ones at that, have fallen onto the road... I'm headed down to Gonzaga the last week of Feb and my parents will be there the week prior. Stop on by if you want a cold brew.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:30 PM   #13
Markio
Shoot to eat

Take this advice that came from a guy who explored most of those areas by Kayak (not me). "Be prepared to sepend the night in an island".
Small dry bag with dry clothes, some lighters, a flashlight, multitool, a small slepping bag ,power bars and water can save your rear end.

The winds can get gnarly really fast and you might not be able to paddle back to shore.

I hope you get as fars as you can ,and may "all your wildest dreams come thru" (with Napoleon Dynamite voice). ..

From Gonzaga to BOLA as some already mentioned requires carefull planning, a good shovel, extra tires and a kit to repair flats.

Enjoy it.
Markio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
Twisted Trader

All of the advice is very helpful. Between Gonzaga and BOLA, I will be hitting Cocos corner and hiway 1. I do not have 4wd just an old 2wd Toyota PU. I will just be packing a 6ft gig, so I do not have any aspirations of yellowtail or trophy sized bass, but if anyone wants to loan me a real gun, that would be awsome. I have been to Baja a couple of times, once all the way to Cabo on my motorcycle. I am not totally inexperienced, but still need all of the help that you are willing to share. I do really appreciate all of the comments, insights and invitations.
Keep 'em coming.
I really don't want to do this adventure alone in a foreign land. Still need a travel/diving buddy. I still have about 4 months of planning and training to get it all together. It will be epic. Many pictures will be taken and shared on the forum once I get back.
No one has yet to give up any secret dive locations, so I guess that the typical locations like jetties, rocky locations, steep cliffs, and kelp beds are where I will be headed.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:36 AM   #15
sd2hi

BIG bump! I'm planning a similar trip, except fly into Loreto, rent a car and stay in the Bahia Conception area. This October if anyone is interested.
sd2hi is offline   Reply With Quote