Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2015, 04:26 AM   #16
labrax
Dicentrarchus labrax

Re: First post and Start to finish roller build; w/ pictures

Nice work.
labrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:54 PM   #17
Panunu
Kody Panui

Hey guys, it's been a while but I'm finally bringing you guys an update on the Red Tiger (if you got a better name lemme know). Thank you all so much for taking the time to check my build out and sending your compliments. And thank you Tony so much for posting up those pictures for me

Since the initial post I've reworked the wish bones in my bands as I was having major issues with the knots slipping. The problem was the knots were too small and the line I used for the constrictor knot was too big. I was using the Mako band tying line, but don't get me wrong it is a great piece of hardware, I just don't think it was enough to tackle these small i.d. bands with their extra mass. So I went don to my local Sea Sport and pick up new material. The wish bone line I bought is white so I added in some of my reel line to give it some flare.

Now, as you can see from this pic, there is a huge difference between the old and the new.

The first time I took the gun out my day was over before I got even one shot out of it. But now I think it looks much better with the new wishbones.

I really did not want to post up an update without hitting the water and giving this baby a chance to speak for itself. So, on Saturday I got to do just that. I grabbed a couple buds, jumped in the boat and we hit the water. On the first spot we hit I was not seeing anything that I wanted to unleash the beast on, but after a half hour of swimming around with a hot gun that I was still weary of having its wishbones come undone, I decided to lower my standards and take an inaugural shot on a small reef fish. I let the shaft fly and to my despair it went right over the fish. I was frustrated with myself thinking that I messed up somewhere in the building process, but I pushed on and found some other fish to take shots on. So three more shots and three misses later I was pleased to find out that the gun was hitting over fish at the exact same spot. Now some of you must be thinking "Panunu, why are you happy about missing?" Well that's just it friends, it was ME missing not the gun. The girls shoots lasers Now I just gotta get on her level Now let me tell you about the feel of the shot, this this is a dream! Went right out to the end of my double wrap with enough juice to go further. And the recoil, even with a kicker band, was almost non existent. If you have a gun at home that's collecting dust and that is compatible with this roller head, shell out the cash and time because its like taking out a dusty old v6 of a '67 Nova daily driver and dropping in a spankin 350 chevy crate

Now on to the part where a actually put metal to fish! After our first drop we packed it up and moved onto to our next location which was the end of our harbors breakwall that is notorious for housing ulua and papio. I saw a couple of nice sized papio but as soon as they saw me they high tailed it in to the cluster of cement jacks. But on one drop, as I was nearing a couple papio cruising the outskirts of the cluster of jacks, they moved on into the safety of the wall while a black figure moved out. When I saw that fish I immediately knew what it was, Knife Jaw. I waited for it to give me its side and I let it rip, 8 ft. shot with clean and easy pass through. It was stringed and destined for the cooler, but because it was on the line and not the shaft it was able to run into the jacks and get my shaft stuck. After a couple of drops I was feeling tired and, not wanting to push anything, called my buddy over and he trooped it into the darkness and came out with shaft and fish in hand The fish ended up weighing 4 lbs, and while not a record breaker by any means it still is my first and pb. Now I'm gathering supplies for my new project, making a Gyotaku of this "trophy"

Decided to go with Imgur this time a round to post my pictures

Last edited by Panunu; 09-01-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Panunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:35 AM   #18
Marco

Nice gun. Congratulations!

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote