Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 08-14-2019, 05:24 PM   #1
WoodenStick

Talking LFG Miami

Hey Spearos, my normal crews moved out of state so I'm looking to join a local group.

I'm self-sufficient gear wise and certified Freediving Lvl 1 by Andrew out of Nautilus. I can also hold the helm if you're trying to get one of your buddies off the boat and into the water. Happy to support with beer/food/gas. Looking for lighthearted and safety minded divers.

I haven't speared a moray eel yet and hopefully won't experience that soon
WoodenStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:33 PM   #2
SEATUX

Re: LFG Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenStick View Post

I haven't speared a moray eel yet and hopefully won't experience that soon
You can if you shoot blindly under ledges...but what kind of spearo would do that?
SEATUX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
deejayjewlz

Hey man! I just moved to Miami Beach and have also been looking for a local crew/buddy to go out with. Haven't been out in Miami yet but have experience spearing in the virgin islands, which I imagine is similar. I am down to throw in for beer/gas/ice/food as well

PM me if you wanna head out, I'm usually free on the weekends.

deejayjewlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:16 PM   #4
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayjewlz View Post
Hey man! I just moved to Miami Beach and have also been looking for a local crew/buddy to go out with. Haven't been out in Miami yet but have experience spearing in the virgin islands, which I imagine is similar. I am down to throw in for beer/gas/ice/food as well

PM me if you wanna head out, I'm usually free on the weekends.

Tell me about which of the Virgin Islands, and your experience.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
deejayjewlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Tell me about which of the Virgin Islands, and your experience.
What's up Seatux. Used to live on St. John as a kid so I got comfortable with freediving at a very young age. Started spearing off the island a few years ago and mainly would reef hunt and snare lobsters. Since most of the island is a national park, you usually have to hunt on the south side of the island or take a boat out of the park waters.

Unfortunately, recently some locals have told me that there have been some reports of ciguatera toxins in some of the reef and predatory fish causing some serious sickness for those eating it...
Old 08-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
WoodenStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayjewlz View Post
Unfortunately, recently some locals have told me that there have been some reports of ciguatera toxins in some of the reef and predatory fish causing some serious sickness for those eating it...
What species started carrying high ciguatera concentrations? I've mainly heard about big cudas and larger groupers carrying it.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:42 PM   #7
deejayjewlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodenStick View Post
What species started carrying high ciguatera concentrations? I've mainly heard about big cudas and larger groupers carrying it.
From what I was told, it comes from smaller reef fish but accumulates in bigger predatory fish similar to how mercury levels increase up the food chain. I was advised against eating groupers or cudas, large predatory fish, and avoid all organ meat.
Old 08-14-2019, 07:29 PM   #8
SEATUX

As I remember it, the reef/coral contains it, and the small fish eat at that, and the medium size fish eat the small fish and it goes up the chain. The larger and older the fish the more it has accumulated , except things like hogfish, that have a different diet.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
YoungAndRetired
VI Hunter

Gents, I just moved to St. Thomas. I'm looking to find some dive partners. Anyone plan on heading this way anytime soon? I am told that the north side doesn't have the ciguatera isn't nearly as bad as on the south end.
YoungAndRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #10
WoodenStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungAndRetired View Post
Gents, I just moved to St. Thomas. I'm looking to find some dive partners. Anyone plan on heading this way anytime soon? I am told that the north side doesn't have the ciguatera isn't nearly as bad as on the south end.
I may be Cuban, but the USVI is too far of a swim for me.