Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 02-28-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Mulloway
Certified Muffdiver

Send a message via ICQ to Mulloway Send a message via MSN to Mulloway
omer cayman enclosed track

I have several guns, from wooden to hybrid to pneumatic. I have never owned an euro gun before. I'm looking the the Omer cayman enclosed track, has anyone every shot one before? some feedback would be very helpful.

thanks
Mulloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:39 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: omer cayman enclosed track

You can start here, but from memory the problem has been fixed re the trigger mechanism. http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=128292
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 11:57 PM   #3
Mulloway
Certified Muffdiver

was there a recall or new trigger mech design change? its a big hassle for me to ship any spearguns in and out of the country, so i have to be very sure before i do the purchase.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:10 AM   #4
popgun pete

They changed the plastic housing where the trigger mech inserts, plus after all this time the problem guns should have been resolved and new season guns will use the latest parts.

Here is a photo of the housing change. Bear in mind enclosed tracks drag on the shafts, but allow more band power for thinner spears as the enclosed track acts like a brace. The disadavantage is that they need very straight spears, so avoid using these guns around rocks or if you do wait for your prey to move away to give a better shot when the spear will not punch through it and into a rock. Having said that my trigger finger has sent many spears flying and clipped plenty of rocks as I could not resist the shot when everything lined up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	omer cayman housing.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	241798  

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-01-2019 at 10:05 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:32 AM   #5
popgun pete

A special on these guns here: https://spearfishing.com.au/products...-95cm-to-105cm, but a closer look shows out of stock.

This one is in stock https://spearfishing.com.au/products...115cm-to-130cm
Saving on retail of AUD 550 of AUD 177 seems a pretty good deal for a 130 cm.

Last edited by popgun pete; 03-01-2019 at 03:19 PM. Reason: more info
Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
diveincanada

I also have several guns, from wooden to hybrid & rails guns.
I have a Omer ET Cayman camo - 130cm and it's one of my favorite.
I put Small ID bands on it and it shoots like a laser.
I would actually love to find a 120cm for my GF...
diveincanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 03:35 AM   #7
Mulloway
Certified Muffdiver

I'm looking for a 115cm, the 130cm would be too long for the waters that i'm shooting in, i get 3-5m vis on average days. anything more than 5m is a bonus.

how is the gun compared to a pneumatic? i am using cyrano 1100 most of the time now. all my other guns are collecting dust as they are just too long... 50-55in.
Old 03-06-2019, 06:37 AM   #8
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulloway View Post
I'm looking for a 115cm, the 130cm would be too long for the waters that i'm shooting in, i get 3-5m vis on average days. anything more than 5m is a bonus.

how is the gun compared to a pneumatic? i am using cyrano 1100 most of the time now. all my other guns are collecting dust as they are just too long... 50-55in.

I have had quite a few days lately with about 6m viz at some local Indo spots. Luckily, I brought a Pathos 100 and would say anything longer would not be needed. It has had plenty of power so far - I have taken some nice cudas and big trevallys on it. And it's just about short enough that I can still stick it in a cave or control it in a swell.
Also, I hate to pee on your parade but there's some pretty good testing showing that enclosed tracks really rob your shaft of speed and perhaps besides easy loading, they may not offer a performance advantage.
I would look up Spearq8's youtube channel and look at the Pathos 125 Sniper test. It starts with an ET, but then the ET is removed which improves the performance quite a lot. I would think the Omer is very comparable.

I actually shoot mostly air so I would propose another option - a vacuum muzzle for your Cyrano will make it even more powerful and more silent. With that upgrade, I would think you wouldn't need another gun.

Last edited by Diving Gecko; 03-06-2019 at 09:20 AM.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #9
Mulloway
Certified Muffdiver

whereabout in Indo do you shoot? i visit the Riau islands to shoot occasionally too.