Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 PM   #46
OC Carrot

Re: Advice on spearfishing alone

I live in Huntington Beach. I'm looking to get into spearfishing myself, so I'll be down to go if you don't mind a total novice. I'm still rounding up my gear, but I should be ready in a few weeks. Let me know if you need someone to head out with.
OC Carrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:41 PM   #47
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

There is no case,or proof that the aspiration of water is less without the snorkle.
I dive with a snorkle, for me it is just another tool for efficient,effortless,effective movement in the water.
It is no less streamlined,and when I surface, I exhale a few feet under the surface,and the snorkle is water free when the back of my head emerges into air so I'm left weightless,floating, casting my eyes down,looking for the next location to swim toward.
However, if in the instance that I am really pushed for air, I hurtle upward,spit the mouth piece and end up inhaling enormous breaths.
And I seem not to notice any extra clenching on the mouth piece, as a matter of fact,
I like having a 'nipple soft' bud between my teeth. I don't ever recall water leaking into
my mouth, I think that I just stick my tongue into the hole.
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 03:25 AM   #48
hydroid

I've been trying to get somebody to dive with for 6 months, I could only find one guy to snorkel (he's also an advanced diver also) with me where I am now, first trip he freaked out from water splashing in his snorkel, had to get out of the water due to a panic attack and this was in a very calm controled environment. Next trip he never even showed up for the dive. Sometimes I think you would be better off alone, I was shot by another diver years ago and pretty sure I'll be going back tomorrow alone if I want to dive. I figure if you can't trust a guy it's best to leave his but home, a bad dive buddy can be worse than not buddy at all.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:07 PM   #49
slingshaft
Hunter, Gatherer

Yeah,I hear you Man, It puzzles me when someone blurts out "Never dive alone"!
What, do they have a clone in the closet?
I've always gone diving when I want to go! There was no one else like me, I revolved my schedule around the high slack at Haulover Cut, putting a great fresh fish meal on the evening table was some good foreplay!
I did not tell my date that I had not payed $50.00 for the spread.
I think that when we are extremely aware about the circumstances involved in this unpredictable undertaking,~ I'm cautious!
I always use protection,Barriers are critical in the prevention of transmitting potentially dangerous organisms.
The use of lube helps facilitate entry into rashguards and wetsuits.
In addition, attention to the condition of tips insures deeper penetration the bodies of
the quarry.
~~ Oh wait, what was the question?
slingshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 07:20 PM   #50
Eraygunz

I used to dive alone all the time,mainly from the beach. Out in the blue,it can a little more dangerous . But honestly I rarely see the other divers till we are at the boat. It dose feel reassuring to know someone is there if you need help. But usually ,no one knows there is a problem until you talk about it later.
Eraygunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #51
prs77
Paul

It's great that we have a forum where everyone can share information and hopefully educate our community as a whole. I don't think there is one specific answer to satisfy every type of person. Everyone is unique and so there will inevitably be different types of equipment or training that satisfy their needs. I live in an area where I do not spend much time freediving or spearfishing. Most of my time is spent doing cross training and swimming in a pool. The only opportunity I have to freedive or spearfish is during vacation. Typically, my wife and I spend the summer in a different place each year. We have been fortunate enough to spend the past few summers in Hawaii, Mexico, and Florida. All of those locations are great diving spots, however I do not have a list of friends available to meet whenever I want to go diving during these trips. The internet makes it easier to find diving buddies on trips, but typically it has been something that worked out once or twice during an entire summer. I am not going to simply stop diving because I don't have a buddy of equal ability. Normally, my wife goes snorkeling with me, however she has no interest in freediving and can only dive down around 25 feet. Here is my take on FII/Performance and the FRV.

FII/Performance - I would love to take their courses. I believe education is a wonderful thing and it can only make you safer and increase your comfort and ability in the water. Taking this course will not magically make more dive buddies appear for me during vacations. I want to dive every day and not simply once or twice during a trip. I might take one of these courses some day, but it will still not make my wife a suitable dive buddy.

FRV - This next summer I am going to the bahamas. I will absolutely be purchasing this vest. My wife likes to snorkel at the surface, so I am essentially diving alone whether it's freediving or spearfishing. She would not be able to dive to most depths to retrieve me should something go wrong. However, if I happened to have a SWB, the vest would carry me to the surface where hopefully she could revive me. I would not wish that scenario on her, however it would be much better than her watching me drown from the surface because she couldn't dive down and get me.

In a perfect world, we would all take FII or Performance classes and each of us would diving with a buddy while wearing our FRV's. However, that simply isn't practical for everyone. As you can see from my situation above, the FRV makes the most sense given my circumstances. I hope we keep up the dialogue and help to progress the sport we all love. Take care.
prs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #52
spearthebigones
Daniel

I dive alone all the time and I never worry about blackouts. I mostly dive shallower than 30ft, rarely stay down longer than 45 seconds, never hyperventilate, and always spend ample time on the surface to recover the oxygen in my longs. In California given those conditions... I believe whole heatedly that you do not need a PFI class or a dive buddy to get out in the water for a dive.

Diving alone is great when you want to explore the entire reef. It can feel like you have the entire ocean to yourself. When you're diving with someone else they're always going to have a different game plan then you. And getting your dive partner to move to the next location or asking them to stay in the water with you an extra hour or two can become a real pain in the ass. Not to mention the worry it causes when you lose track of where they are. That's why I prefer to dive solo on certain kinds of dives.

But when I'm not seriously hunting and I just want to have a good time a dive buddy is essential. Diving with a buddy just makes everything more fun. There's someone to talk to, share the stoke with, and someone to help you out in the water. Sharing memories together with other people is what life is about.

Anyways that's my opinion~
Old 03-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #53
Killmoss
killmoss

I am in the exact situation as prs77, I have tried many times to coordinate vacations with friends and because of kids, scheduels, money or whatever it never pans out. Am I going to go to Baja or the Bahamas or Hawaii and not spearfish or freedive or snorkel because im alone? Absolutely not! Can I depend on my wife who is good to about 20' deep or some random person/boat captain to dive down to 60' and get me if I black out and sink? Absolutely not! So like prs77 said I am essentially alone in the water anyways even with spectators. I am however pretty conservative when alone, and am currently saving for an FRV for a little extra insurance, at least floating at the surface anyone can grab a hold of you whether they can dive or not. I personally think the FRV is the BEST option for this situation, but all we can really do is stay within our comfort zone and listen to your gut, if you think to yourself "I probably shouldn't do this" then don't it will save you some day. Especially when solo, in my experience 1st instincts are pretty good for keeping people out of trouble you just need to listen to it.
Killmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #54
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killmoss View Post
Especially when solo, in my experience 1st instincts are pretty good for keeping people out of trouble you just need to listen to it.
easier said then done. hence the re-occuring swb among the diver community year after year.

when you are pushing it. chances are - you are NOT listening to those 1st callling instincts. afterall - that is why it is call pushing it.

no one should ever have a swb. if you were pushing it. you made your bed, you might just get to sleep in it. sorry for the tough love.

if you push the limit regularly. get a FRV. much cheaper than a funeral. plus u get to dive another day.
UaVaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:12 AM   #55
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearthebigones View Post
I dive alone all the time and I never worry about blackouts. I mostly dive shallower than 30ft, rarely stay down longer than 45 seconds, never hyperventilate, and always spend ample time on the surface to recover the oxygen in my longs. In California given those conditions... I believe whole heatedly that you do not need a PFI class or a dive buddy to get out in the water for a dive.

deeper than 33' (66' if you are well trained and disclipine). time to strap on the bubble blower.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:05 AM   #56
orcawealth

Ive owned the frv and have used it extensively over the last 8 months. One of the things that is left out of the conversation on the vest is that you preset when it's going to take you to the surface BEFORE you make your dives for the day. So, this takes out of the equation seeing that hogfish when you are at your limit and pushing to get it. If you do your going to pay the price of the vest inflating. As users know its a drag when you have to get out of the water re-pack the vest and repressure the bottle. It makes you stick to your predetermined dive times regardless of the size of the fish you see. Happened to me over the weekend I only want to be down a minute so i set the frv to 1:10(little bit if wiggle room) got caught up chasing something and then comes the sound you hate to hear the rush of air inflating the vest. Most freedive spearfishermman I have met are type a competitive people and the vest keeps us in check. Not to sound like a commercial for the vest but if you feel you have to dive alone get the vest.
orcawealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #57
Killmoss
killmoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by UaVaj View Post

deeper than 33' (66' if you are well trained and disclipine). time to strap on the bubble blower.
Where did you come up with this? Is it your personal rule? Just curious. 1st time free divers do 66' at the FII level 1 course. Also depth is only 1 factor among many in contributing to a blackout.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #58
Killmoss
killmoss

Orcawealth that actually sounds like a big added safety bonus to using an FRV. Knowing that if you Go to far you will be repacking/recharging the bottle at the boat or onshore. That may be more of a deterrent than anything for some guys to not push it too far.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #59
UaVaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killmoss View Post
Where did you come up with this? Is it your personal rule? Just curious. 1st time free divers do 66' at the FII level 1 course. Also depth is only 1 factor among many in contributing to a blackout.
my reply "alone" can be confusing.

you must take spearthebigones comment into account first before my reply. then it willl make sense.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #60
dakamaainahaole
Water Waffle

Re: Advise on spearfishing alone

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthropisces View Post
...Always use proper dive methods (no snorkel in mouth ever!)...
Soooo.... after descending, it IS good practice to take the snorkel out? could you explain why??? mahaloz for the information.
dakamaainahaole is offline   Reply With Quote