Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 12:07 PM   #46
downdiver2
Popping Molly on a daily

Re: DIY Floatline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Morgan View Post
Nice I like the stealth setup!

I just use the SPRO heavy swivels Size 8 LB test 1030 $12 bucks for 5
I just re-read your post, I should think about a shakle where the welded ring is. I would hate to loose a big fish from having the ring break (Tip, shaft, bungee and fish gone). Thanks again for posting.

I have been lucky so far, luck can only keep so many fish though, proper rigging trumps luck
Old 05-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #47
Mike Morgan
Spear-hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
I just re-read your post, I should think about a shakle where the welded ring is. I would hate to loose a big fish from having the ring break (Tip, shaft, bungee and fish gone). Thanks again for posting.

I have been lucky so far, luck can only keep so many fish though, proper rigging trumps luck
Personally I really like the way you looped the spectra from the bungee through the ring. I think its clean and quiet like you said not to mention streamlined. Josh has a floatline setup like that he calls the "stealth" but it looks like there are clips involved??? I've never used a bungee setup like you're using, but I know a lot of people use them. I like the fact that you technically get a longer line (when stretched) but its shorter when not under tension.

My friend uses a 25' bungee for a chicken line on the back of his reel gun. So if he ever needed it, it could stretch to I think 50-75'? I think thats cool.

At the end of the day like T. Maas wrote in bluewater hunter "If Nasa made the best speargun and handed it to 5 different divers within a week all 5 would have made changes and insisted their version is the best" or something along those lines...
Mike Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #48
Chris Lupin

Quick question: If a floatline gets a pinhole, is it toast? Or can you cover it up?

I noticed a very small pinhole in the tubing right up against the end plug. I haven't put the line in the water yet, so no leaks. If I cover it up with electrical tape (or something better) would I be okay? I have already tied the knots and it was ready to go when I discovered it. Or should I cut the tubing and do it over, and just take the few inches off so its not a full 100 ft?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #49
downdiver2
Popping Molly on a daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lupin View Post
Quick question: If a floatline gets a pinhole, is it toast? Or can you cover it up?

I noticed a very small pinhole in the tubing right up against the end plug. I haven't put the line in the water yet, so no leaks. If I cover it up with electrical tape (or something better) would I be okay? I have already tied the knots and it was ready to go when I discovered it. Or should I cut the tubing and do it over, and just take the few inches off so its not a full 100 ft?
I had the same problem with my 'store bought' floatline. What i did was squeeze some silicon in and around the site then I took two lengths of heat shrink tubing (1 smaller than other). I heat shrinked the first one over the hole and an inch to each side then the final heat shrink tubing the full length and an inch in each direction beyond that. It worked very well and costs me $0 (I had all the supplies on hand).
Old 06-10-2010, 06:30 PM   #50
Chris Lupin

Quote:
Originally Posted by downdiver2 View Post
I had the same problem with my 'store bought' floatline. What i did was squeeze some silicon in and around the site then I took two lengths of heat shrink tubing (1 smaller than other). I heat shrinked the first one over the hole and an inch to each side then the final heat shrink tubing the full length and an inch in each direction beyond that. It worked very well and costs me $0 (I had all the supplies on hand).
Perfect, that sounds like the solution. Good stuff, I appreciate the help.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #51
ApneaAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lupin View Post

About 2 years ago, I went out with a SB member to hit the LJ kelp beds in his inflatable. The engine died on the way in. We flagged down a boater and asked for a tow. Unfortunately we had no rope at all (and neither did they- on a 25+ft center console???). Anyway, considering that I was the boat-ho, my Riffe floatline got used as the tow rope. End result was about a dozen pinhole and larger holes where it rubbed through. I took some marine seal and filled all the holes in, then slathered the area around each hole with more marine seal and put some heat-shrink tubing over it while it was still wet. Ended up making a couple of stiff-spots in my floatline, but otherwise it still works fine and I still use it.
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #52
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Carter, that is taking one for the team...good on ya
LunkerBuster is offline   Reply With Quote