Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #1
No Misses

What would my father have thought about spearfishing?

Back in the day, when I was a young lad, just learning to hunt, my father taught me many lessons. The art of "leading" a rabbit was not going well. It seemed that the only thing that I accomplished was to make them run faster (missed shots). I spotted a rabbit hiding in a brush pile. <me>"Should I shoot him while he’s sitting still?" <dad> "You could. But, don't you think it would be better, if you gave him a fighting chance". I nodded agreement. My dad kicked the brush pile and out came the rabbit. I lined up an BLAM. It was a clean miss.

It took me a while. But, I finally learned how to hit a moving target.

Fast forward to today. My father is long gone and we never had the chance to discuss spear fishing. I have no compunction about shooting a “holed up” grouper. I wonder what dad would think about not giving them a fighting chance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grouper.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	140.4 KB
ID:	160192  
Old 09-30-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

Re: What would my father have thought about spearfishing?

If you're a freediver, he'd probably say you are giving them a fighting chance. At least that's how I look at it. Same thing goes for deer and hogs, I only bowhunt. It's fun to challenge yourself and then the feeling of pride is much greater harvesting in a manner that not everyone is capable of. Just about anybody can strap a tank on their back and kill a fish or pick up a scoped, high power rifle and kill a deer/hog. I feel too guilty killing anything either of those 2 ways so, I don't. But I guess each to his own, as long as it's within the law. It's all about what you are personally comfortable living with.

Scott

Last edited by Muay Thai; 09-30-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Muay Thai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
fljgilner

im pretty sure freedivers have the ability to go up and down as many times as they want. plus i dont think it matters if your freedivng or on scuba explain the difference for a fighting chance on that cause i dont see it. but as for the grouper being holed and stuff i believe if an animal is not moving he or she has a better opportunity to make a clean shot and kill
fljgilner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #4
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

fljgilner,

What do you think is more challenging - the 30 seconds I have on the bottom to kill a fish or the hour you have? Or the 90 foot depth I'm limited to (on a good day) or the the 200-300 ft depth you are?

I did not enter into this conversation as a debate. This is my feeling about it and the personal law I abide by. If you're comfortable killing how you do, then that's your choice but it's not the choice I make. I shot fish for a year on tanks and I got to the point where I started feeling guilty about it. It was too easy. Seemed more like just killing rather than hunting. After some very serious introspection, I decided there must be a better way. I gravitated toward the challenge of freediving and have never looked back. I have not had a tank on my back in over 15 yrs. There is no need to argue this subject because no amount of debate will make me strap on a tank or pick up a rifle. In my world, that’s just the way it is and it's something I'm very proud of.

Scott

Last edited by Muay Thai; 09-30-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:42 AM   #5
jetro

Thanks for derailing this guys thread asshole.
jetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
scubadown

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetro View Post
thanks for derailing this guys thread asshole.
+1
scubadown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #7
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

You guys must be SCUBA divers!

Not a derail. The guy was wondering what his dad would think about him shooting a holed up grouper. I replied - if it was while freediving then he should be proud. My reasoning was that it is a challenge just to make it to the bottom where the ledge/grouper was so, therefore shooting it holed up would be a moot point because the fish already has/had a fighting chance just by the limitations of the harvest method alone.

Scott
Old 09-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #8
Muay Thai
FL State & Nat Champ

I did not intend to offend No Misses or belittle his catch. It's a nice fish regardless of how it was harvested. A big black is always a challenge! But by the type of gun in his picture, I was thinking he may just be a freediver and then my post would be very valid in this situation.

Scott
Old 09-30-2011, 12:51 PM   #9
No Misses

Freedive vs SCUBA

What ever. They both have thier pros and cons.

As for me; I mostly SCUBA. Though I do enjoy going back to basics in the Bahamas (Freedive w/pole spear or Hawian Sling)

Muay Thai - There was no offense taken. Dive it like you stole it :-)
Old 09-30-2011, 12:57 PM   #10
DiveGal
Today's the day!

I'm sure your Dad would be proud regardless of whether or not you were wearing tanks. That is one AWESOME grouper!

I wish my Dad was still around to see me involved in this sport. I was his fishin' buddy when I was young - H&L. He taught me to use a Hooka when I was 6 - in Pennsylvania.

I have the utmost respect for both freedivers and tankers. Everyone does things a little differently from everyone else and we should all be proud of our accomplishments as well the accomplishments of our fellow spearos.

I love this community!
Old 09-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
No Misses

DiveGal, small world. I also grew up in PA. (Butler County)
Old 09-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #12
DiveGal
Today's the day!

Hershey - Chocolate town USA! My Dad's from Pittsburgh - your side of the state.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:04 PM   #13
jetro

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiveGal View Post
I'm sure your Dad would be proud regardless of whether or not you were wearing tanks. That is one AWESOME grouper!

I wish my Dad was still around to see me involved in this sport. I was his fishin' buddy when I was young - H&L. He taught me to use a Hooka when I was 6 - in Pennsylvania.

I have the utmost respect for both freedivers and tankers. Everyone does things a little differently from everyone else and we should all be proud of our accomplishments as well the accomplishments of our fellow spearos.

I love this community!
Nice fish M

Well said Divegal.

Nice fish Muay Thai, I'm sure your dad woild approve.
jetro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #14
TrigR Happy

It's all about attitude, if you're just out for blood and want to kill big fish just to say you killed them then you have lost sight, wether you use scuba or freedive. My dad and I have, on multiple occasions, found large grouper that we could have killed if we wanted to. Instead we looked at each other, pointed our guns at the killspot, and mentally pulled the trigger. I'm not saying dont kill big grouper, I'm just saying you should have the right attitude about spearfishing. I like to eat fish and it's fun. That's what my dad taught me.
TrigR Happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 01:47 PM   #15
fljgilner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muay Thai View Post
You guys must be SCUBA divers!

Not a derail. The guy was wondering what his dad would think about him shooting a holed up grouper. I replied - if it was while freediving then he should be proud. My reasoning was that it is a challenge just to make it to the bottom where the ledge/grouper was so, therefore shooting it holed up would be a moot point because the fish already has/had a fighting chance just by the limitations of the harvest method alone.

Scott
does it matter?
fljgilner is offline   Reply With Quote