Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:06 AM   #241
SubSub

Re: Pathos 125 Sniper....A new Gun...a whole new build...pics heavy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behslayer View Post
There is another side... Mr. Zitaz, is speaking in a 3rd language and did not attend an elite British boarding school to learn English. To his credit I speak mostly Kassar Fisherman's slang in my third language.

Well, I don't think calling people idiots and asslickers has much to do with language barriers. Probably more to do with intellectual refinement, but that on the other hand has little, if any, to do with spearfishing.
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #242
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Send a message via Skype™ to z1taz

Quote:
There is another side... Mr. Zitaz, is speaking in a 3rd language and did not attend an elite British boarding school to learn English. To his credit I speak mostly Kassar Fisherman's slang in my third language.

Mr. Z's goal for a Speargun is to catch fish. That is how he and many others judge performance. His approach is Field based. He knows what works for him. There are 100+ guys spearfishing daily for food using his equipment and he hears feedback from them directly. There is a science to this approach. So much of speargun performance relates to individual style, location, and quarry. This is lost in the pool. The pool is important. But it is very one dimensional. Majd might review for example a Rollergun as having 'bad performance' but it doesn't take into consideration the gun being very easy to swim with, maneuver, and a Real lack of recoil allowing a diver to be very comfortable with that gun and shoot more instinctively which in the end makes him very confident and his performance at catching fish is high. Majd might review a 7mm or 7.5mm shaft as having worse perfromance, but in the Field those thinner diamter shafts do not lose as many fish as they give a little more when you nail a Mu (which by the way are not hunted from the surface in most places) If we had 100 guys doing Majd's tests I'm sure we would get a lot of varying feedback even in that controlled static Pool setting. The term "One Eyed" was used previously. As much as everyone will bash Marc, and follow Majd blindly, I haven't seen anyone else corroborate Majd's testing? The only people I know who have tried disagreed with some of his findings. And it's hard not to cringe when reading about how Seal's gun was completely unuseable until it underwent a 3 week Spa treatment at Majd's, while Marc took one of Seal's guns straight out of the box and an independent tester was able to shoot a World Record with it on the first try.. hmmmmm? Science based... Science requires repeatability accross a range of shooters. Marc takes in feedback from hundreds. So do a lot of us. I also see Marc doing a lot static testing. Another thing is that Marc, like others I know who work within High End Spearfishing Guiding, is exposed to every one of the latest and best designs. He gets to handle all of them try some shots with all of them.

Regarding Asshole Lickers and Idiots. I don't shudder at the horror of such language.. especially spoken in the 3rd language. You can all be houghty and proper, but maybe respond in Tahitian.

There's a lot to learn from someone with Marc's experience whether he is gruff or not. Plus, I'd sure rather visit Marc and crew in Spearfishing Paradise than Majd in Kuwait.

PS.. I think you lemmings are missing something about Good Guns catching Good fish.. Show me one photo of a Pathos 2 band gun shooting a 100lb+ Wahoo (I saw the mosquito effect firsthand), 100lb+ Yellowfin or Big Eye or Bluefin, or Dogtooth.. okay, that's great luck. Show me 500 pics of that and I'll be thinking there's something of value there. There is Value in guns which catch big fish repeatedly. They are set up right. They are a good match for the location and quarry. But you lemmings.....
thank you Jon , this is in a more polied way to explain the problem than as i do myself .
As i am not an hypocrite as many , i write in a not politely way so this " might" make readers understand what I think and do not understand .

about a pathos 2 bands , some times few ones are able to shot and the YF fish is landed , due to breakaway and float and no sharks around but the fishes in video Madj is yelling at are on the stinger , are just kind of " joke" fishes for newbye , baby spearo, beginner , he would be better to hide himself than trying to be proud from those plaything for kids .

on else from his scientifically tests in his pool , good for him , but as said earlyer to him : where are the fishes ?

Madj , you are very welcome to come and show how you do !
i give you about 10 minutes before to back in the boat yelling it is impossible to spear any fishes home ( as most great champions like you are )

sample views to watch !

https://vimeo.com/100776774

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3QG-trZT0kA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJfZxZz6zlA
z1taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #243
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSub View Post
Well, I don't think calling people idiots and asslickers has much to do with language barriers. Probably more to do with intellectual refinement, but that on the other hand has little, if any, to do with spearfishing.
yes you are right , please just put it this way :

the important thing is not to show intellectual refinement, but to be understood by people who have none .
Old 09-08-2017, 06:06 AM   #244
Azure Recluse
Another Aussie Spearo

Quote:
Azure, what is your name? Derail this thread? hilarious... I'm adding info to this thread. Have you ever done any Static Pool testing? Can you share it with us? I'm beginning to question your identity..and give me the fair suck of the sav mate, I do add to this forum and to the discussions of Speargun Performance where ever they lay. So how about before you come on here shaking your finger at me, how about adding even a we nip, a bloody drop, even a cunt hair to the knowledge pool? So far all we've learned from you is how to whinge in Aussiespeak.
Haha.. I will refrain from making any personal attacks towards you mate. I did have a chuckle at your c hair comment though.

z1taz, this is one of the funnier videos I have seen. To be shooting at a target and then turning around to take dinner before walking back into shore

https://vimeo.com/197841032
Old 09-08-2017, 10:18 AM   #245
SubSub

Lol, that vid was great!
SubSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:07 PM   #246
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure Recluse View Post
Haha..

z1taz, this is one of the funnier videos I have seen. To be shooting at a target and then turning around to take dinner before walking back into shore

https://vimeo.com/197841032
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSub View Post
Lol, that vid was great!
thank you , but is not the only , at least are some small fishes in my pool !

are my "penetration" tests
Old 09-08-2017, 02:48 PM   #247
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

For not being an arrogant , for once , here is a 2 years old video showing and explaining how to shot a Mu so mr the "great spearo Madj " would not be as ridiculous as he is on shoting a Mu as he did !! ha ha ha !

https://vimeo.com/119084717

in french please translate this :

to :

when a mu approaches and stops, hide your eyes with your free hand in front of the mask and miracle it will approach again to come at range of shooting, then place a good shot and this is the end from the story wrongly arguing : Mu are difficult fishes to spear!

Difficult ? yes for beginners , sure ! haha !

there are even more little tricks to know about MU but , once at a time should be enough for mr" great pool spearo" to start with instead bla bla blating
Old 09-08-2017, 04:59 PM   #248
Diving Gecko
Shooter & Shooter

Marc, thanks for the Mu advice. That was actually real advice for a change. But it is seriously messed up how you only offered real advice as a way to insult another member here. Again.

Like a bunch of us has tried to explain you - there is no conflict between liking a more scientific pool orientated approach to tuning a gun and at the same time hunt for real. But you seem to think so. A lot of us don't, so when you crap on Majd you crap on a whole lot of people who like to tune their guns the best they can.
If I was ever to pay a lot of money for a spearfishing charter I would spend proper time beforehand to set up my guns properly. Now, fish-wise you are spoiled that you live in the place you do. So, stop belittling others who didn't grow up with your fish pool on their doorstep. As for spending money on guided charters - I sure wouldn't consider going anywhere where an analytical approach to speargun tuning is ridiculed. Or were even a beginner risks being ridiculed as that seems to be one of your other themes for insults here. I know you would say, you wouldn't want me as a guest anyways - but I know I am not alone. So, keep up your great advertising work...

As for the whole ass licking issue I personally also used to think that people whom I didn't agree with or people who were open to other's opinions were ass lickers. But I was 18 at the time. Literally. Allowing others to have their opinions and allowing yourself to listen is not ass licking. It's part of making informed decisions, part of being a decent dude and honestly, just part of growing up - which we all know some guys never do.

Whether pimped pipe guns hurt Jon's sale, I am not so sure. But I now know for a fact that one's online demeanor does. That can be remedied, though: Stop trying to saint people who are so grossly undeserving of it ("language barrier", Jon? Seriously...?).
@Jon, you and your brand are who you align yourself with and how you present yourself in public. I don't give a rat's ass how many huge fish Marc or his operation catch, to me Ulusub defending his crazy rants and hailing him as a great man is unfathomable.

I think this will be my last words on the subject for now. Nothing really changes and I know what I expect as a return, so be it.
Diving Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:32 PM   #249
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diving Gecko View Post
Marc, thanks for the Mu advice. That was actually real advice for a change. But it is seriously messed up how you only offered real advice as a way to insult another member here.
AND ? guess if i care ?

i wrote he is an idiot , ( sorry , a REAL IDIOT is what i wrote ) and i do not think this is an insult , this is just a fact and my point of view .
Old 09-08-2017, 06:40 PM   #250
Alec

Lol what has this forum come to
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #251
spearq8

Quote:
Originally Posted by z1taz View Post
why dont you shut up ? you real idiot Madj , an ignorant arrogant idiot ! am i writing this in an enough good english so you are able to undestand ?

A REAL STUPID IDIOT you are !
@zz ... Thanks for that Mu advice, I will give that a try although I will add that fish behave differently in different parts of the world, especially reef fish. I actually wouldn't mind hearing more of something that I think you probably have good information on ... but please ... when it comes to spearguns and speargun performance ... just be quiet. I usually don't waste my time with someone with limited intelligence, but since you took the time to actually watch all my videos I will make an exception and try to walk you through the clips that you seem to have misunderstood the purpose of. Please try your best to concentrate and focus on the subject matter rather than blurt out primitive ad hominems. Looking at the guns you shoot, I think I can actually give you useful information.

In this video you saw "beginner baby champion spearo can't doesn't even know how to load gun". OK ... now if you had looked at the title of that video, you would have seen that it was about modifying the handle of a speargun to get much higher performance and much better accuracy. It was not about band loading technique. Not sure how you got that wrong. Anyway, for a while now, the thought was that mass was necessary to control a speargun. The purpose here was to choose a very low mass gun, and use that as a basis for the experiment. The gun in this video weighed only 730 grams, yet it put 3 consecutive shots from an 8mm shaft inside a 1 inch group dead center 6 meters from the tip of the gun. Power wise, with only 2 x 14.5mm bands, the modded gun had close to or more penetration when using the exact same shaft and line shooting the same target, than a Seal 130 double roller, Abellan 120, OB 125 or even the mighty Alemmani 130 double roller. The penetration test on the Pathos here was 2015 or two years ago ... since then I managed to get even more power by rotating and adjusting the handle more, and changing the stiff Sigal bands to Primeline. I felt this was a game changer as it would allow a gun designer to build a gun with as much mass as he preferred rather than have mass dictate his gun design. The video was never about band loading technique.

Here is another clip that you also seem to have misunderstood. "Beginner spearo shooting little fishes with bad spearing way". Again, let me explain. My testing is done in static conditions. Some were mentioning that in real hunting conditions, where targets are moving ... that things would be different and advances in static testing would not work the same in the sea. That was a very valid concern. So I actually took the same high volume mask and Gopro I use for pool testing ... with the same POV (no wide angle) and sacrificed some time from a real spearfishing trip to video a few shots at fish. I tested 2 guns, a Pathos 130 and a home built Abellan 140 (130 today). There was a school of Tiger Trevales around the boat so I figured I would take a few shots with a Pathos 130 that I had modified just a few hours earlier. 3 shots 3 fish ... 2 of them at extremely long distances. I mean that dogtooth was moving pretty fast and the distance was close to 7 meters. Also that last TT was at the very edge of 2 wraps ... pretty long shot by any standard, and especially more impressive as that was just a pipe gun. If that did not impress you, it sure as hell impressed me and everyone else that saw it! For those shots to happen the shaft had to go out super fast and flat and the trigger had to break at exactly the right time. I have yet to see such performance out of any pipe gun and that showed that whatever results I was seeing in the pool were working in real hunting conditions.

Now for the last clip, you saw "stupid breakaway setup with 8mm shaft to shoot little fishes idiot ignorant spearing way". Again the purpose here was to show that with a proper shaped handle, even bigger wooden guns benefit. You can immediately see a much smoother and much less effort tracking even a small moving fish. The added mass and better shaping of the gun profile definitely helps. For that shot to happen consistently, the shaft has to go out fast and flat and the trigger has to break at exactly the correct time. I don't usually shoot sardines with an 8mm shaft and breakaway ... but again, I think you just missed the point of the video.
spearq8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 11:46 AM   #252
spearq8

Quote:
AND ? guess if i care ?

i wrote he is an idiot , ( sorry , a REAL IDIOT is what i wrote ) and i do not think this is an insult , this is just a fact and my point of view .
For some reason the word "real idiot" has a special ring when you say it. So I am an idiot and you are ...? Mr. educated intelligent person oh Marcus?
Old 09-10-2017, 12:13 PM   #253
spearq8

Quote:

Mr. Z's goal for a Speargun is to catch fish. That is how he and many others judge performance. His approach is Field based. He knows what works for him. There are 100+ guys spearfishing daily for food using his equipment and he hears feedback from them directly. There is a science to this approach. So much of speargun performance relates to individual style, location, and quarry. This is lost in the pool. The pool is important. But it is very one dimensional. Majd might review for example a Rollergun as having 'bad performance' but it doesn't take into consideration the gun being very easy to swim with, maneuver, and a Real lack of recoil allowing a diver to be very comfortable with that gun and shoot more instinctively which in the end makes him very confident and his performance at catching fish is high. Majd might review a 7mm or 7.5mm shaft as having worse perfromance, but in the Field those thinner diamter shafts do not lose as many fish as they give a little more when you nail a Mu (which by the way are not hunted from the surface in most places) If we had 100 guys doing Majd's tests I'm sure we would get a lot of varying feedback even in that controlled static Pool setting. The term "One Eyed" was used previously. As much as everyone will bash Marc, and follow Majd blindly, I haven't seen anyone else corroborate Majd's testing? The only people I know who have tried disagreed with some of his findings. And it's hard not to cringe when reading about how Seal's gun was completely unuseable until it underwent a 3 week Spa treatment at Majd's, while Marc took one of Seal's guns straight out of the box and an independent tester was able to shoot a World Record with it on the first try.. hmmmmm? Science based... Science requires repeatability accross a range of shooters. Marc takes in feedback from hundreds. So do a lot of us. I also see Marc doing a lot static testing. Another thing is that Marc, like others I know who work within High End Spearfishing Guiding, is exposed to every one of the latest and best designs. He gets to handle all of them try some shots with all of them.

Regarding Asshole Lickers and Idiots. I don't shudder at the horror of such language.. especially spoken in the 3rd language. You can all be houghty and proper, but maybe respond in Tahitian.

There's a lot to learn from someone with Marc's experience whether he is gruff or not. Plus, I'd sure rather visit Marc and crew in Spearfishing Paradise than Majd in Kuwait.

PS.. I think you lemmings are missing something about Good Guns catching Good fish.. Show me one photo of a Pathos 2 band gun shooting a 100lb+ Wahoo (I saw the mosquito effect firsthand), 100lb+ Yellowfin or Big Eye or Bluefin, or Dogtooth.. okay, that's great luck. Show me 500 pics of that and I'll be thinking there's something of value there. There is Value in guns which catch big fish repeatedly. They are set up right. They are a good match for the location and quarry. But you lemmings.....

Lol ... I was wondering when you would show up! You actually sound like I should be ashamed that I managed to get an education? For your information my last 2 years of school was in a public school in Fairfax County, Virginia. You really are two faced ... just take a look at the beginning of this thread and see where you posted ... you are OK for the tread to get derailed by someone just throwing personal insults and ad hominems? In the other thread you are absolutely fine with someone lying about performance of his gun and posting a video of a tuna that was supposedly caught due to the power of the gun ... while the truth was that he lost the fish because the gun didn't have enough power! You even push that video as evidence of performance. The guy posts that he gave me a gun that was shooting perfectly and I couldn't put a damn shaft in it? Says he has a laser cut trigger and when I show that this is not true ... just shadows and a little photoshop? What next ... you will look at a piece of shit and call it a misunderstood chocolate? You have customers that are very much like me, we like honesty not BS. I bought 2 guns from you ... one of them had a line release that had been over polished and was slipping ... I emailed that to you and within hours you replied an apology and dealt with it immediately. Till today I don't forget that ... that is good customer service. I get a gun that takes me 3 weeks to fix with zero help from the guy I bought it from and you call that Spa treatment. Really ... standards of Ulusub have just gone down the drain!

Anyway ... I do accept that you should NEVER believe a test ... not even mine. But I try my best to give every single little detail about what I did, what bands I am using, what band stretch, what shaft, what diameter, what modification I made ... as much information as possible. Then I do a test and I make the video in one full run ... no cherry picking ... no best shot ... just test and see what happens. Hell ... I even show you exactly where I am aiming and how shaft drop is changing. My objective is to have whoever watches the test to be able to get exactly what I am getting. I don't have a "black box" where I create something and try to sell it. It is completely transparent and you can duplicate my results because I give out every detail I do. Maybe that is why some of my videos are popular, because people are just sick of being let on a wild goose chase. They want to know what works ... and they want to be able to duplicate those results. Now I know that you also watch those videos and you learn from them. For you to sit there and act like you are not interested in this is beyond silly. It is fine to ignore it or even contradict or question the results ... but if you want to do that, do it in a clear coherent way and point out where you think something was not correct. I don't see you questioning Seal's testing or results? Why is that? Why not ask him if that tuna video you were pushing on everybody was landed or not.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #254
z1taz
Blue Water Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spearq8 View Post
@zz ... ... but please ... when it comes to spearguns and speargun performance ... just be quiet. I usually don't waste my time with someone with limited intelligence,
IQ 128 to 139 put it where you have a big hole ! you mr Real idiot

I do not need to waste any more time with an idiot like you and so I leave you with your imbeciles viewers

again you d better to improve your spearfishing instead from showing useless bla blas on spearguns and mods.

PS : you are welcome to visit w yr modified guns , if this happen i ll video you climbing back on the boat without fish , stupid idiot .
Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM   #255
spearq8

Quote:
IQ 128 to 139 put it where you have a big hole ! you mr Real idiot

I do not need to waste any more time with an idiot like you and so I leave you with your imbeciles viewers

again you d better to improve your spearfishing instead from showing useless bla blas on spearguns and mods.

PS : you are welcome to visit w yr modified guns , if this happen i ll video you climbing back on the boat without fish , stupid idiot .

Marco ... I love you too! But seriously now ... without all this BS ... I mean I saw some of your videos and you also test guns ... are you really not impressed with how a pipe gun can shoot an 8mm shaft so well? Forget for a minute how crazy you are about me and really, I am fine with you not liking my spearing way or my inability to load guns ... really I don't mind that. But you have that Alemmani roller and you have that Seal double roller ... I know you are not science minded and don't believe in that but you saw the test ... you really don't think you can gain anything from that information? I mean come on!