Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > General Topics (Non-regional) > Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents

Diving Safety, Accidents and Incidents Post here to discuss accidents, incidents, ideas, gear, or anything else to improve spearfishing safety. Memorials and condolences threads should be placed in that separate forum.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #61
JaredNJ4

Re: How Much Deeper Can i Dive With freediving fins and proper gear?

Came back to this thread after posting on that keloken guys thread, so sad. RIP theron let this be a lesson to new guys coming into the sport. This is not baseball fellas, dive safe please these threads suck!
JaredNJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #62
Ozzyo

Send a message via Skype™ to Ozzyo

Damn.... I just started reading this post because I am green and gathering more knowledge. This definitely is not baseball. My condolences to the kids family. R.I.P. If you're going to go there's worse ways than doing what you love.
Ozzyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:23 AM   #63
FreediveUK

Wow. This is so sad. Being part of the initial bouts of messages I only wish we were perhaps more vigorous in our response to him. Please let this be a lesson to all new divers, that this is not a sport to be entered in to lightly. It can be for everyone, but everyone needs to give it the respect it deserves. Our hearts go out to the family. RIP.
Never dive alone, always dive within your limits, get professional instruction, acquire depth slowly, have fun and don't get too competitive.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #64
Searen
Knat City, NC

Send a message via Skype™ to Searen

Just wanted this to resurface so it stays in everyone's thoughts. The main killer here was not Hyperventilation. What killed this kid was lack of direct supervision. Number one rule in freediving is never dive alone. I was told from folks who know the family and the family members that were there when it happened that he returned to the surface, so at that point the person watching him thought he was ok. The next thing they recognized was he was sinking back down and before they realized what was happening he was out of the buddies capable reach.

Doesn't matter how long you have been diving, how old you are, what color you are or even how many times you hyperventilate. If you breath hold dive long enough, it will likely happen to you. Not if but when. So why even take the chance. Besides, it is more fun to share the experience with your competent, professionally trained buddy.

One more thing, about 3 years ago we got a call from a guy who wanted to come down and do some diving with us back in North Carolina. Said he had been freediving for about 30 years, very experienced spearo. Seemed like a real nice guy and we kept talking and finally it was verified when we meet him in person. Ended up diving two days. The first day we took him out we were diving in about 50 feet of water, it was three of us. My buddy DJ and I tried to talk him in to doing a three man team but this guy was pretty insistent on not participating. What am I to say? This guy had many many years of experience over me. So first day went by everything was good meaning everyone made it back to the boat. So the second day, we went to one of our favorite places to dive. A 2 hour boat ride, 40 miles from land and 45 feet of water. This time I had decided to film since the waters out here was top to bottom vis and that way this fellow would be partners with my wife, who happens to be a badass diver, even at the time. So everything is good until this https://vimeo.com/7575835 . The point I am trying to make is Never Dive Alone. It isn't worth losing your life over. Get educated. Live to dive another day.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:35 PM   #65
Topcat333
TheCleverFisherman

http://abbeygallagher.wordpress.com/...to-do-in-life/

R.I.P.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #66
Freshy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searen View Post
Just wanted this to resurface so it stays in everyone's thoughts. The main killer here was not Hyperventilation. What killed this kid was lack of direct supervision. Number one rule in freediving is never dive alone. I was told from folks who know the family and the family members that were there when it happened that he returned to the surface, so at that point the person watching him thought he was ok. The next thing they recognized was he was sinking back down and before they realized what was happening he was out of the buddies capable reach.

Doesn't matter how long you have been diving, how old you are, what color you are or even how many times you hyperventilate. If you breath hold dive long enough, it will likely happen to you. Not if but when. So why even take the chance. Besides, it is more fun to share the experience with your competent, professionally trained buddy.

One more thing, about 3 years ago we got a call from a guy who wanted to come down and do some diving with us back in North Carolina. Said he had been freediving for about 30 years, very experienced spearo. Seemed like a real nice guy and we kept talking and finally it was verified when we meet him in person. Ended up diving two days. The first day we took him out we were diving in about 50 feet of water, it was three of us. My buddy DJ and I tried to talk him in to doing a three man team but this guy was pretty insistent on not participating. What am I to say? This guy had many many years of experience over me. So first day went by everything was good meaning everyone made it back to the boat. So the second day, we went to one of our favorite places to dive. A 2 hour boat ride, 40 miles from land and 45 feet of water. This time I had decided to film since the waters out here was top to bottom vis and that way this fellow would be partners with my wife, who happens to be a badass diver, even at the time. So everything is good until this https://vimeo.com/7575835 . The point I am trying to make is Never Dive Alone. It isn't worth losing your life over. Get educated. Live to dive another day.
Thanks for sharing that video. That is why everyone should take a freediving course
Freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:17 PM   #67
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Rip Theron. I hope you memory serves as a stern lesson/reminder to us all.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #68
Searen
Knat City, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat333 View Post
Thanks for this writing. Good stuff!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:03 AM   #69
TK-SCUD

Quote:

The diver in the video blacked out before reaching the surface?
TK-SCUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 AM   #70
Searen
Knat City, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-SCUD View Post
The diver in the video blacked out before reaching the surface?
He did blackout before hitting the surface. You first see him have a Loss of Motor Control (LMC) at about 10 feet or so. LMC is indicated by his inability to maintain his breath hold.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #71
Topcat333
TheCleverFisherman

I did not see him with any of the SAMBA - and the video does not show any attempt at a rescue

Last edited by jfjf; 02-14-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Topcat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:59 AM   #72
Searen
Knat City, NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat333 View Post

I did not see him with any of the SAMBA - and the video does not show any attempt at a rescue
Topcat,
The reason you don't see a rescue is because I stopped the video so that I could go in for the rescue. When someone is having a "Samba", the predecessor to that "Samba" is the inability to maintain a breath hold. In the video he clearly expels his air. Not only that, he stops kicking and his body slumps. All clear indications of "Samba" aka Loss of Motor Control(LMC). Stay safe everyone. He couldn't believe it happened to him and if it had of been a day earlier, he would have been dead. NEVER DIVE ALONE! And when I say alone, that means with a person who is within arms reach after you surface from a dive.

Last edited by jfjf; 02-14-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Searen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:39 PM   #73
flamencoguru
FII Freediving Instructor

Quote:
Topcat,
The reason you don't see a rescue is because I stopped the video so that I could go in for the rescue. When someone is having a "Samba", the predecessor to that "Samba" is the inability to maintain a breath hold. In the video he clearly expels his air. Not only that, he stops kicking and his body slumps. All clear indications of "Samba" aka Loss of Motor Control(LMC). Stay safe everyone. He couldn't believe it happened to him and if it had of been a day earlier, he would have been dead. NEVER DIVE ALONE! And when I say alone, that means with a person who is within arms reach after you surface from a dive.
Well said... Freediving is no joke. NEVER DIVE ALONE!
flamencoguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:27 AM   #74
Topcat333
TheCleverFisherman

Searen - Flame!

Agreed everyone should take a coerce in some type of free diving discipline / maybe even make it mandatory some how, the way I see it it is much more dangerous than open water one dangers. But! when you get regulation in the picture we open up a can of worms - Florida for years had no "Safe Boaters mandatory class" but now they do.

What are you thoughts on licencing?

The camera work was perfect - what setup do you have?
Old 02-17-2013, 01:32 PM   #75
MeTo

I dive in New England mostly, the visibility on a good day is 15-20 feet. I took a level II course and learned tons from Ted. A few of my dive buddies took courses and we did some buddy diving,which was tough in ripping current.
I dive with a lifeguard float and yellow Neptronics line which did help in tracking my buddy,however often we would dive out of arms reach. The one thing that I do consistantly is dive properly weighted. That seems to be a huge step that is not done. I'm 6'4" and 220Lbs with a 5mm Closed cell suit and use 12lbs in 20-30ft but will drop to 10lb in 30-50,if under 20 its tough to weight properly.
Thats my two cents,be safe out there! If nothing esle dive properly weighted.
MeTo is offline   Reply With Quote