Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:20 PM   #1
Dbrown

Late October AJ in 50'

Here's the video of the AJ. I had put my line on the way up hoping for a cobia. The jacks came back in again and there was one that was clearly larger. (Not as clear on this video, but straight Go Pro to HD big screen and in real life, I easily knew I was pulling trigger). So have some AJ to get smoked. I ate some of the upper back fillet and it was ok. I was expecting better. Will try grilled wrapped in tin foil next time. It was a tad tough to me. Still good though. Not as good as the Hogfish and grouper cheeks tonight though.

Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:00 PM   #2
CuzzA

Re: Late October AJ in 50'

Nice AJ, D. I'm curious if you thought about just sticking another free shaft in those donkeys before trying to wrestle a knife into their dome?
CuzzA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
jfjf

cool video... It was so close to a stone shot, but not.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:18 AM   #4
Sea_Bass

Nice man thanks for sharing the video. I got a smoker this year and for jacks I've had the best success doing low and slow smoke with applewood. Skin off, cut out the bloodline, baste with oil, dry rub. Pieces you eat right away put a swab of butter on top after you pull while it cools.
Sea_Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:46 PM   #5
Dbrown

Thanks jfjf and Thanks for recipe Sea Bass!

Well Cuzza, it was a consideration. I am with jfjf. I really thought I hit that fish well. I saw it's mouth open. I saw it change color behind the spear. I thought I hurt it pretty bad. As I pulled it towards me, I saw spear was not through it's gill plate at the exit point. So thoughts of loading second shaft quickly went away and focus was to grab shaft and push it through so flopper could engage. I did so, and what you cannot see in the video is that there was so much agglutinated blood on the end of the spear point that the flipper did not open. These are the new Evolution shafts and the flopper is back a bit further. So I wiped that blood off so the flopper would open, all of course while this 37.5# fish swam around in a circle with a 230# human. Then at that point of time, may as well grab another sharp pointy thing and go Norman Bates on his head.

But agree that a second shaft to the head is safest.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:58 PM   #6
jfjf

Yeah once you get a hand on each side of the shaft through the head, you have him. If it is close to the bottom, I try to steer to a spot where I can stick his nose under a ledge, They can't swim backwards. You really need three hands to hold the shaft and draw the knife. Haven't quite figured out that part yet.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote