Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 04-12-2019, 07:37 PM   #1
wlkconsulting

Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting
Help_Santa Monica shore diving

From Texas. Visiting Cali for a niece graduation from Pepper. Not familiar with the area but wanted to try a shore dive at Tapanga Beach. It may be crappy. Any suggestions for a better shore spot would be appreciated. We will be in the Santa Monica area. We will have our Cali fishing licenses as well. Thanks
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
mikelb

Re: Help_Santa Monica shore diving

Go north of Topanga to Malibu. Will depend on viz and any kelp.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:29 PM   #3
Malibuslayer

Just drive up the coast to malibu and look for areas with rocks and kelp, you will find it, then jump in.

Stay out of the MLPA at point dume
Malibuslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #4
Bob Ballew

It helps us on giving advice if you fellows tell us what dates you will be here...for instance, there is a grunion run on the beaches April 19-22nd which improves chances for finding a nice size halibut up shallow. Dive off the sandy beach areas near kelp and rocks...Some big seabass in the coastal kelp areas currently...
...also, make sure you have the Ocean Enhancement stamp on your Ca license as required in Southern Ca....best vis is just before peak high tides with incoming currents...
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:28 PM   #5
Olibaba

Hi Bob - During the 4 day grunion run, what time do you recommend going out to hunt halibut for the best odds? Is it during the hours when they run? or is it at dusk and dawn?

Also, is the best bet to be on beaches where the grunion run up? Or in an area with rocks meeting sand where grunion don't typically run onto the beach?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
It helps us on giving advice if you fellows tell us what dates you will be here...for instance, there is a grunion run on the beaches April 19-22nd which improves chances for finding a nice size halibut up shallow. Dive off the sandy beach areas near kelp and rocks...Some big seabass in the coastal kelp areas currently...
...also, make sure you have the Ocean Enhancement stamp on your Ca license as required in Southern Ca....best vis is just before peak high tides with incoming currents...
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 02:47 PM   #6
Bob Ballew

...Myself, I like: the day before a scheduled run to go out in deeper water to dive under the gathering grunion. Here, the larger halibut tend to hang under the bait and shoot up to pick off an easy meal (about 35' in depth)...it is great if you can catch an incoming high tide to max out your vis and even greater still, if it is an early a.m. (daybreak) or late afternoon high tide when gamefish area most likely to move in to feed...grunion will pick beaches with minimal lights and low people activity...so, dive the dark side.
...Next, I like the 3rd day of a 4 day run when the flatties are full, fat and happy, often lying up shallow on top of the sand, too lazy to burrow down and hide...Usually, daybreak is best for halibut because under normal conditions; once the sun hits the water, they will bury and hide to avoid predators...
...Halibut are out in the open at nite time and easy to spot...but...I don't dive thru grunion at nite because great whites also like grunion and easy halibut meals...
...Find one halibut and there are probably others nearby...I work a grid search pattern, starting shallow (hey, why work deep if not necessary) and going out until finding the depth they are gathering in...make sure you kill the fish before stringing it on your belt...I once felt a sharp pain ...it was caused by a 32 pounder biting me on the ass....all my lessons tend to be learned the hard way....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 04-16-2019 at 02:56 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Kadman

Bob, Diving the Grunion Run sounds like a good time. Thanks for the inspiration. Cheers, Joe
Kadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 03:36 PM   #8
Olibaba

You're a living legend, Bob Ballew. Thank you!

Quote:
...Myself, I like: the day before a scheduled run to go out in deeper water to dive under the gathering grunion. Here, the larger halibut tend to hang under the bait and shoot up to pick off an easy meal (about 35' in depth)...it is great if you can catch an incoming high tide to max out your vis and even greater still, if it is an early a.m. (daybreak) or late afternoon high tide when gamefish area most likely to move in to feed...grunion will pick beaches with minimal lights and low people activity...so, dive the dark side.
...Next, I like the 3rd day of a 4 day run when the flatties are full, fat and happy, often lying up shallow on top of the sand, too lazy to burrow down and hide...Usually, daybreak is best for halibut because under normal conditions; once the sun hits the water, they will bury and hide to avoid predators...
...Halibut are out in the open at nite time and easy to spot...but...I don't dive thru grunion at nite because great whites also like grunion and easy halibut meals...
...Find one halibut and there are probably others nearby...I work a grid search pattern, starting shallow (hey, why work deep if not necessary) and going out until finding the depth they are gathering in...make sure you kill the fish before stringing it on your belt...I once felt a sharp pain ...it was caused by a 32 pounder biting me on the ass....all my lessons tend to be learned the hard way....
Olibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 05:27 PM   #9
wlkconsulting

Send a message via Skype™ to wlkconsulting

thats what I call a suggestion. thank you sir

Quote:
wlkconsulting is offline   Reply With Quote