Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Old 08-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #16
Marco

Re: Slip/detachable flopper modification.

Rob Allen has a similar product. My son tried it recently and so far, it worked well.

It wasn't with a big fish though.

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work

Last edited by Marco; 08-31-2019 at 05:37 PM.
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 11:40 AM   #17
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver278 View Post
Do you have pics of your mod

I use the rubber bands/o-rings below the crimp on the shooting line and tuck the excess length in my bands. I don’t have any issues with it falling off or not deploying.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	243929

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	243930
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #18
makemwearit
Desert Fish in da Pacific

Thanks for the pics.

Where'd you get the pin you replaced it with? I already secured one of the pins it came with, so I'd have to bend it in place to mimic your mod.

You said that's stiff spectra and not mono? You have another crimp on the opposite end of the mono to attach the slide ring?
Old 08-29-2019, 01:04 PM   #19
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemwearit View Post
Thanks for the pics.

Where'd you get the pin you replaced it with? I already secured one of the pins it came with, so I'd have to bend it in place to mimic your mod.

You said that's stiff spectra and not mono? You have another crimp on the opposite end of the mono to attach the slide ring?
no just a doubled up overhand not heavily melted.

Its just a flopper pin. taped on both ends to make it into a crescent.

I wouldn't use mono, i think it would add some pull in the wrong direction and might fall off more. The rubber bands to hold that stiff dynema tight against the flopper pin really keep it locked on when you need it. I was really hating this thing before I fine tuned it. it was falling off and ruining my drops.

It has landed me some fish with shots that 100% would have cost me the fish had i not been using it and when i switched back to a standard flopper I lost a few to shots that this thing would have landed.

Definitely a choice between the time this takes to set back into place after a shot and the pros of being able to place some pretty terrible shots and still land the fish. I think overall its worth the hassle if its puts some extra meat in my freezer every once in a while. I haven't had a chance to use it on any fish over 10-15#s yet. Lost a nice #40+ pound striper that i think i would have if this had been on my gun.
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 04:10 PM   #20
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
I use the rubber bands/o-rings below the crimp on the shooting line and tuck the excess length in my bands. I don’t have any issues with it falling off or not deploying.

Attachment 243929

Attachment 243930
You could curve the transverse pin "horns" forwards or head them up slightly. A third pin sticking upwards may increase stability of the flying tip with the flopper a sprung fit between the three pins. This would hold the flopper axially on the shaft, but would mean accurate location of the pins and the third pin hole in the flopper. Easier to do with a jig and a drill press to have the holes in the right orientation to each other. Rear of the flopper would be slightly turned upwards (not shown) and the third pin would not be a tight fit in the flopper hole so that the flopper could be tipped up and off the shaft as it reversed back through the fish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	clip tip flopper.jpg
Views:	806
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	243931  

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-29-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: extra comment
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:39 PM   #21
Marco

What if you hold the flopper to the shaft with an o'ring'? Like Europeans do with standard shafts?

A bad day fishing is ALWAYS better than a good day at work
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 12:16 AM   #22
Diver278

Well mine works great. Doesn't fall off. I tuck the line in my bands like I do with my Mori slip tips. Also the line on mine is stiff like my Mori tips also, not some cheap line like some have discribed.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote