Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

Re: Education for paddy hoppers

That crap is lame. Find your own paddies or wait your turn (invited in). Gives us all a bad name. I'd be pissed if I was H&L and some tool dropped in on a paddy I found and started spearing. It's a BIG ocean, find your own. Slow fishing is not an excuse to be rude.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 AM   #17
Ethan kills
OG Troll

I saw a boat on a big paddy the other day. As I motored up another boat had also seen it and got there right before we did. The boat that had the paddy first had a dive flag up and I asked them if they had divers in the water, and they said no. I then asked if they were alright with me jumping in and they said to go for it, then they said to let them know if I saw a shark. I laughed like haha right a shark ok, but the captain was like "no seriously let us know, that is what the chum slick is for. He then pointed out the buoy with two huge chum bags hanging off of it. They were some kind of shark research vessel trying to record them. Before I could blink 4 more boats showed up and started fishing. Everyone including my brother boated some dorado. Once the research boat had drifted off a half mile and the guy that got there right before me left, I figured I had dibs on the paddy seeing as how I had been there before anyone else who showed up. The bite had turned off anyway and I jumped in . A couple guys asked me if I saw anything and I said no. All the do do's left and there were two rat yellows under the paddy which were spooked shitless and I couldn't get a shot. I should have jumped in as soon as my brother boated the dorado and I could see them all over the water
Ethan kills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #18
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Paul View Post
You might be getting the wrong idea about the lack of responses. The guys on here that have been diving for a while know the drill already. Another large group here don't even own boats and the rest of the bunch are probably just taking it all in and don't really have any input.

This is what I posted on BD:

Okay ladies, first of all let me say I've been out there this week and last week. I understand that that there are some retard Spearfisherman that jump in and ruin the bite for you guys. But that doesn't mean ALL of us are equally as retarded. There are also a fair share of weekend warriors that don't know what a dive flag even means. I've had multiple boats follow us around while we found paddies and get within 50 ft from me.

Bottom line is, if you're an experienced diver/fisherman, you know that it's first come first serve. And the guys that know better never jump in on a paddy unless we know the bits has already shut down and/or the H & L guys are leaving. A buddy of mine was out the other day, found a paddy with another boat, waited patiently until they were done, asked permission before jumping in (which it was thankfully granted). They shot a couple fish and he even gave the fishermen one of the yellows they shot. To me, that's respect. The problem is there is too many guys on both sides that don't know what the **** their doing, so it ruins it for both sides.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 04:55 PM   #19
deckhandmike
Shallow Water Hunter

I think the issue was you forget to mention in your original post that you asked the nearby boats first before hopping in. It's when people don't ask and just barge in it gets ugly.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
freeride
Joe

People are very sensitive to divers getting in on a paddy for good reason. In my experience it kills the bite and the h&l guys fishing the paddy are shut out. Ive been on both sides and so I see both sides perspective