Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > Repairs to Engines and Boats

Repairs to Engines and Boats BOAT means "Break Out Another Thousand" to many of us. Discuss your engine and hull repairs here.

Old 02-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #1
Watergator

Trailer Camber

I have a single axle trailer and I am pretty sure the port side tire is negative cambered. I did a few searches online to come up with the diagnosis, but I couldn't find anywhere that showed me how to fix it.

I had a blowout this summer after hitting some road debris , so I think that has something to do with it. I towed the trailer probably 400 miles since putting the new tire on it, which is shocking considering the wear that is present.

Here are a few pictures that show the the comparisons of the two tires and the one that wore out.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I would really appreciate it.

Pictures aren't uploading. I am getting a message that says Im missing a security token. Ill get them up when I get that figured out.

Last edited by Watergator; 02-10-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 02:59 PM   #2
dive4bugz

Send a message via AIM to dive4bugz Send a message via Yahoo to dive4bugz
Re: Trailer Camber

Jack it up, spin the wheel and see if you didnt bend the hub or rim. Also, whats the weight rating of the trailer. Your boat may be ok, but the boat loaded with gear may be too heavy and the trailer is being stressed so the tires bow out. Another thing to check (Ive never seen your boat) is whether or not theres any water intrusion into the hull. This could add a lot of weight to her without your knowing. Check the hull, stringers, etc to make sure the boat is still at the original spec weight.
Old 02-12-2014, 01:58 PM   #3
MelbourneMark

Re: Trailer Camber

You may have bent the axle. Almost all axles are hollow tubing with the spindle welded inside of it.
You may need to replace the axle. There are alignment shops that straighten axles and frames on vehicles. Usually larger commercial trailers/trucks etc.. They may be able to do that as well.
However, axles are relatively cheap and easy to put on, as long as you have cutting tools.
I recently had to replace my axle due to rust. I ended up putting a torsion axle on it. It costs more upfront, but I will not have to replace the springs. A torsion axle also rides better.
MelbourneMark is offline   Reply With Quote