Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Off-Topic

California Off-Topic Remember that politics/religion and general off-topic belong in Special Forums.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:29 PM   #31
Diver278

Re: Kimera slip tip

I shoot a 85cm and 115cm pathos rollers.
Diver278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:30 PM   #32
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana'squal View Post
Slip tip is solid. Only gripe is the line they give you is shit. I might crimp stiff spectra to replace it or something.
I use 1/16" 7-strand stainless cable. Unwind the end leaving 3 and 4 on a side. Push each end thru the eye in opposite directions. Then wind the cable back together until hitting the fork. Then wind the remainder into a small pigtail and put a crimp over the pigtail end to keep it from unraveling. You can't tell that it was ever taken apart and it is much easier/thinner than splicing. Here is a video of winding a large cable. The thin stuff doesn't have a fiber core and I don't double braid the tail or put a nut on the end like they do. I just wind up a single pigtail and put a 1/16" ID crimp tube over it and crimp.

https://youtu.be/jsfll_7CdEQ

Last edited by PigStikr; 07-18-2019 at 03:59 PM.
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:39 AM   #33
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigStikr View Post
I use 1/16" 7-strand stainless cable. Unwind the end leaving 3 and 4 on a side. Push each end thru the eye in opposite directions. Then wind the cable back together until hitting the fork. Then wind the remainder into a small pigtail and put a crimp over the pigtail end to keep it from unraveling. You can't tell that it was ever taken apart and it is much easier/thinner than splicing. Here is a video of winding a large cable. The thin stuff doesn't have a fiber core and I don't double braid the tail or put a nut on the end like they do. I just wind up a single pigtail and put a 1/16" ID crimp tube over it and crimp.

https://youtu.be/jsfll_7CdEQ

I don’t care for cable. Our fish don’t justify the need. Went with stiff dynema. Testing today

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2109.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	243507Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2108.jpg
Views:	621
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	243508
Mana'squal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 08:41 AM   #34
Mana'squal

Other upgrade I did was drilling a shaft to barely fit a flopper pin. I don’t care for the thing they provide. Prefer a flopper pin bent in a slight crescent shape
Old 07-29-2019, 03:13 AM   #35
PigStikr
The Stalker

Quote:
I don’t care for cable. Our fish don’t justify the need. Went with stiff dynema. Testing today
Looks nice! I use cable mainly because it is much thinner and thus can penetrate thru thicker fish without as much friction. The crimp around the single 'tag end' vs. both cables after weaving is also much thinner.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:52 PM   #36
makemwearit
Desert Fish in da Pacific

Quote:
Other upgrade I did was drilling a shaft to barely fit a flopper pin. I don’t care for the thing they provide. Prefer a flopper pin bent in a slight crescent shape
Noticed that. Both pins for both tips (7mm & 8mm) they sent with mine were too loose and I used a bit of epoxy to keep them in place instead of the superglue they provided. Included spectra was clearly lower quality and started to wear quickly.

Have only gotten to test it on big calicos so far, but the Customer Service I received from Kimera after USPS "lost" my first order was beyond disappointing (IMO based on my interactions with the Kimera team I don't believe it was actually ever sent). Took over a month to get my order and I'm located in CA where they're based out of.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:57 PM   #37
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemwearit View Post
Noticed that. Both pins for both tips (7mm & 8mm) they sent with mine were too loose and I used a bit of epoxy to keep them in place instead of the superglue they provided. Included spectra was clearly lower quality and started to wear quickly.

Have only gotten to test it on big calicos so far, but the Customer Service I received from Kimera after USPS "lost" my first order was beyond disappointing (IMO based on my interactions with the Kimera team I don't believe it was actually ever sent). Took over a month to get my order and I'm located in CA where they're based out of.

Took them 3 weeks to get me a package that weighs less then an ounce. It’s certainly okay, but I think they have a lot to improve on. As I use this more I’m not as enthusiastic about this tip. I placed a perfect shot on a striped bass 34-38” fish in the 20# range from 4’ out. Fish came off. I am 99% it was a tip malfunction that cost me that fish.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:31 AM   #38
PigStikr
The Stalker

I have used Biller slip tips on fish to around 4 feet long, specifically the PK-312 mounted on a regular spear rather than on a pole spear. The solid slip tip slips off after penetrating and is held by the stainless cable, not a flimsy flopper pin. The other real advantage is that the fish is held by the cable with the tip at 90 degrees. Thus the spear is no longer in the fish and won't get bent.

Is in this image:
http://www.abbiller.com/wp-content/t...ccessories.png

Available here:
http://www.abbiller.com/products/pole-spears/

Depending on your spear shaft thread, you may have to use the regular speargun tip, the ST-312:
http://www.abbiller.com/wp-content/t..._shaft-tip.png

Last edited by PigStikr; 07-30-2019 at 02:45 AM.
PigStikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 09:11 PM   #39
popgun pete

A mod that may be worth considering with a pierced flopper tail holding lightly on a third pin in the shaft.

You could curve the transverse pin "horns" forwards or head them up slightly. A third pin sticking upwards may increase stability of the flying tip with the flopper a sprung fit between the three pins. This would hold the flopper axially on the shaft, but would mean accurate location of the pins and the third pin hole in the flopper. Easier to do with a jig and a drill press to have the holes in the right orientation to each other. Rear of the flopper would be slightly turned upwards (not shown) and the third pin would not be a tight fit in the flopper hole so that the flopper could be tipped up and off the shaft as it reversed back through the fish.

Last edited by popgun pete; 08-29-2019 at 09:19 PM.
popgun pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:20 AM   #40
Mana'squal

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
A mod that may be worth considering with a pierced flopper tail holding lightly on a third pin in the shaft.

You could curve the transverse pin "horns" forwards or head them up slightly. A third pin sticking upwards may increase stability of the flying tip with the flopper a sprung fit between the three pins. This would hold the flopper axially on the shaft, but would mean accurate location of the pins and the third pin hole in the flopper. Easier to do with a jig and a drill press to have the holes in the right orientation to each other. Rear of the flopper would be slightly turned upwards (not shown) and the third pin would not be a tight fit in the flopper hole so that the flopper could be tipped up and off the shaft as it reversed back through the fish.

I started with the crescent facing forward first shot turned it right around.

Between the stiff dynema and using rubber bands to hold the dynema right to the shaft this thing doesn’t fall off anymore and the only time it doesn’t always engage is when I plow it deep into the sand shooting a flatfish.

Name:	IMG_2607.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	243932
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2608.jpg
Views:	630
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	243933  
Old 09-30-2019, 01:56 AM   #41
popgun pete

It appears that Rob Allen has a three locating point slip tip which you can see in action here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDpYyZxj3Uc
In fact there is even a patent on this arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Drop Barb patent.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	244117   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rob Allen Drop Barb patented.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	244118  
Old 10-02-2019, 04:53 PM   #42
popgun pete

Another video of the Drop Barb with more explanation.
https://youtu.be/Y0NUEVAP9Hw

Check out the cavitation behind a shaft exiting the gun at high velocity.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	shaft cavitation.jpg
Views:	1556
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	244162  

Last edited by popgun pete; 10-02-2019 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 05:23 AM   #43
makemwearit

Quote:
I started with the crescent facing forward first shot turned it right around.

Between the stiff dynema and using rubber bands to hold the dynema right to the shaft this thing doesn’t fall off anymore and the only time it doesn’t always engage is when I plow it deep into the sand shooting a flatfish.

Attachment 243932
Mana'squal - where did you get the flopper pins you're using? I'm trying to mimic your setup and see how it works for me. I noticed in the more recent pictures you enlarged the loop connecting to the kimera slide-slip and are just using a crimp now without a knot. You found the crimp to be sufficient strength and the knot to not be streamlined enough?
Old 03-10-2020, 05:42 AM   #44
Mana'squal

Flopper pins are cheap online. The knot was adding weight and resistance pulling the kimera off the pin and having the loop larger let’s the crimp sit below it so it doesn’t do that. A rubber oring on the line below the kimera with some tension on the line keeps it set a lot better. It’s a real bastard learning the best way to keep it from coming off and resetting the thing but once you get a routine that works you start getting quick and it pays off
Old 03-10-2020, 12:36 PM   #45
makemwearit

Thanks for the feedback. Did you just bend the pin with pliers?