Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 08-25-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

2019 OC Classic Results!

2019 OC Classic Tournament Results

1st: Richard Balta (48pts) 23.26 lb YT tie break
2nd: Scott Blumer (48pts)
3rd: Paul Romanowski (44pts)
4th: Christos Dodi (43pts)
5th: Ryan Deuel (35pts)

We'd like to personally thank all those who competed & helped to support our organization. Of the 103 competitors, the top 5 overcame the horrible visibility & dry kelp paddies to secure their spots on the podium. The first and second place finishers both came in with a total of 48 points, but Richard Baltas 23.26 lb yellow tail was the larger fish and tie breaker! Richard Balta is a tremendous athlete and won the Los Angeles Fathomiers Scramble meet the prior Saturday.

We'd also like to give a special mention to Christos Dodi for weighing in the first ever Blue fin tuna (35.94lbs) at an OC Classic tournament.

The Jackpot winners also went home happy earning some extra money & gear from our awesome sponsors. (Chart in photo)

The Raffle was insane thanks to all of our incredible sponsors & earned the club much needed funds to push forward our upcoming club trips. Rumor is that a sole member won the Yeti cooler, Pitboss pellet smoker & dive gear! Big congrats to them for coming up big while supporting the club.

We'd like to give a huge shout out to Petros Charalambos Yiannikouros & Spear America for hosting the tournament and donating some incredible prizes! There is no better dive shop or person. Get over to Spear America and support our local dive shop. To make things better Spear America will Match or Beat any retailer or online shops price.

What an amazing event! Until 2020
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190825-114535_Gallery.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	243895   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190825-114616_Gallery.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	243896   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190825-114648_Gallery.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	158.8 KB
ID:	243897   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190825-114938_Gallery.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	243898   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190825-114453_Gallery.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	243899  

Old 08-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #2
Lompoc Local
Errin

Re: 2019 OC Classic Results!

How did Christos not win the tournament? Asking for a friend...

No comprende senor

Lompoc Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 04:33 PM   #3
Jolinedaniel
Shootin dodo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lompoc Local View Post
How did Christos not win the tournament? Asking for a friend...

No comprende senor
I didn’t see what his other 2 fish were but it was a point system of 3 fish
Jolinedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 07:21 PM   #4
Lompoc Local
Errin

Shouldn't allow sheephead in club tournaments. Shameful

Old 08-26-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Quote:
Shouldn't allow sheephead in club tournaments. Shameful
Dang it! Fine we'll change the rules for next years tournament. Just kidding!
Old 08-27-2019, 12:26 PM   #6
Lompoc Local
Errin

So lemme get this straight.

Christos shoots a Bluefin which is also the largest fish by weight but Balta wins the tournament because he shoots a smaller yellowtail and bunch of trash fish?

Yeah, sounds great. Reward people for shooting fish they'll throw in the dumpster. While you're at it, throw in a category for Opaleye and pay the guy who shoots the biggest one $130!

Old 08-27-2019, 01:14 PM   #7
Fernando8884
Fully Fernished

Basically, clearly you've never been to one of our awesome & professional events. We provide tons of ice to keep the fish fresh & any fish that competitors wish to donate are immediately picked up by a local charity. Some times, I even prepare and cook the fish for that charity. Zero trash fish & zero waste.

Christos was stoked on his Bft, especially in such tough conditions! Believe it or not he didn't cry or complain in the slightest. In fact he thanked us for putting together such a great tournament and promised to return next year. Come join us!
Old 08-27-2019, 03:14 PM   #8
Bob Ballew

The event rules were just fine....The wide range of species made it more fair for novice shoreline divers to compete, as well as giving the pros with access to boats a chance at big game...Diving tournaments are as much about strategy, as about spearing skill...I caused my team to be second in the Nationals once when I spent too much time chasing big fish and didn't allow enough time to spear a 20th fish to get our total point per fish and points for weight limit....First place weighed a pound more than our catch...A two pound opaleye would have made the difference....
...All the competitors are to be commended for their tenacity at diving in green water conditions and still landing a fish, whatever the species....

Last edited by Bob Ballew; 08-27-2019 at 08:20 PM.
Bob Ballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:32 PM   #9
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando8884 View Post
Basically, clearly you've never been to one of our awesome & professional events. We provide tons of ice to keep the fish fresh & any fish that competitors wish to donate are immediately picked up by a local charity. Some times, I even prepare and cook the fish for that charity. Zero trash fish & zero waste.

Christos was stoked on his Bft, especially in such tough conditions! Believe it or not he didn't cry or complain in the slightest. In fact he thanked us for putting together such a great tournament and promised to return next year. Come join us!
You're a class act Fernando

Old 08-27-2019, 04:34 PM   #10
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ballew View Post
The event rules were just fine....The wide range of species made it more fair for novice shoreline divers to compete, as well as giving the pros with access to boats a chance at big game...Diving tournaments are as much about strategy, as about spearing skill...I caused my team to be second in the Nationals once when I spent too much time chasing big fish and didn't allow enough time to spear a 20th fish to get our total points per fish and points for weight limit....First place weighed a pound more than our catch...A two pound opaleye would have made the difference....
...All the competitors are to be commended for their tenacity at diving in green water conditions and still landing a fish, whatever the species....
As long as you eat it, I got no complaints

Old 09-22-2019, 11:04 AM   #11
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Quote:
So lemme get this straight.

Christos shoots a Bluefin which is also the largest fish by weight but Balta wins the tournament because he shoots a smaller yellowtail and bunch of trash fish?

Yeah, sounds great. Reward people for shooting fish they'll throw in the dumpster. While you're at it, throw in a category for Opaleye and pay the guy who shoots the biggest one $130!

The 20lb weight limit pushes the impetus on skill and strategy, and keeps from runaway scores for luck. I like both formats, where the biggest fish reign supreme, and I like the strategy contests as well.

The really nice part of th 3 fish, 20lb max is less experienced divers actually do have a chance, and shore based divers are not held back either. It's not at all impossible to find a 20lb sheephead, a 20lb WSB, or a 20lb halibut along the coast. The key is to tie it together to best match those potential fish in combination.
I took Lauren and we did 2nd and 3rd 2 years ago in the tourney, doing a coastal dive.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:32 PM   #12
Lompoc Local
Errin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojodiablo View Post
The 20lb weight limit pushes the impetus on skill and strategy, and keeps from runaway scores for luck. I like both formats, where the biggest fish reign supreme, and I like the strategy contests as well.

The really nice part of th 3 fish, 20lb max is less experienced divers actually do have a chance, and shore based divers are not held back either. It's not at all impossible to find a 20lb sheephead, a 20lb WSB, or a 20lb halibut along the coast. The key is to tie it together to best match those potential fish in combination.
I took Lauren and we did 2nd and 3rd 2 years ago in the tourney, doing a coastal dive.
I understand the different tournament formats and the reasons for doing different things to try to level the playing field. And I appreciate the deeper explanation of why the OC tournament is set up that way.

Most tournaments turn me off because they typically encourage people to shoot a bunch of fish they otherwise wouldn't - just to try and win. The perch for points concept is absolute bullshit. In the end all this does is incentivize people to shoot a bunch of fish they won't eat. Waste of life and a waste of the ocean resource.

I realize a lot of people are in this for the killing end of the sport but over the years I've come to appreciate the consumption side a lot more than the killing side. I never shoot fish that I won't eat unless a friend has specifically asked me to take a certain species for them. I have a friend who prefers the livers and gonads and he gets them from all my slugs. Loves to sauté and pan fry and says it's good for his joints. He truly loves these parts of the fish. He even takes the heads and carcasses and feeds them to his chickens. Literally nothing is wasted from the fish I take.

While I don't expect everyone to take it this far it would be nice if competitions respected the resource a little more than they currently do. The PCC's absolutely drive me nuts for this reason. If Fernando has found a way to ensure all the trash fish are not wasted then good for him I think that is a very respectful action to take and shows an acknowledgement that the contest he puts on has unwanted side effects that he is willing to address. But to your point, I don't think it's okay to format a contest in a way that levels the playing field if the end result is that you are going to shoot fish that won't be eaten.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #13
SCreefhunter

Quote:
I understand the different tournament formats and the reasons for doing different things to try to level the playing field. And I appreciate the deeper explanation of why the OC tournament is set up that way.

Most tournaments turn me off because they typically encourage people to shoot a bunch of fish they otherwise wouldn't - just to try and win. The perch for points concept is absolute bullshit. In the end all this does is incentivize people to shoot a bunch of fish they won't eat. Waste of life and a waste of the ocean resource.

I realize a lot of people are in this for the killing end of the sport but over the years I've come to appreciate the consumption side a lot more than the killing side. I never shoot fish that I won't eat unless a friend has specifically asked me to take a certain species for them. I have a friend who prefers the livers and gonads and he gets them from all my slugs. Loves to sauté and pan fry and says it's good for his joints. He truly loves these parts of the fish. He even takes the heads and carcasses and feeds them to his chickens. Literally nothing is wasted from the fish I take.

While I don't expect everyone to take it this far it would be nice if competitions respected the resource a little more than they currently do. The PCC's absolutely drive me nuts for this reason. If Fernando has found a way to ensure all the trash fish are not wasted then good for him I think that is a very respectful action to take and shows an acknowledgement that the contest he puts on has unwanted side effects that he is willing to address. But to your point, I don't think it's okay to format a contest in a way that levels the playing field if the end result is that you are going to shoot fish that won't be eaten.
SCreefhunter is offline   Reply With Quote