Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Old 08-25-2019, 07:01 AM   #1
sharpshooter

Out on Stranglehold IV

Went SW out of JP 8-24-19 on Jays new Pursuit 28. He's in the process of naming his boat. So, for now. I'm calling it Stranglehold IV. Depths: 50', 60', 70', 80' and 90'. Best vis: 60'-70'. A solid horz. 35'. Best gags and hogs: 80'. Bottom temp.: 84F.. in all depths. Seas starting picking up in mid afternoon. So, we called it a day and headed in. Saw plenty of short gags and some red groupers on a few spots. Dove one ledge loaded with small glass minnows. Thought it would be gag and mango heaven. Wrong . I did get 2 nice size hogs.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #2
Dbrown

Re: Out on Stranglehold IV

Seems to be no shortage of bait. But bait not equating to where the big fish are. They seem to be deeper where it is cooler. We moved between 45' and 75' N of Anclote yesterday. 2 nice gags. 3 legal hogs. 21 mangos. Went out in the sand off of a ledge and there were dozens of short gags laying out there.
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla

we just did 480 miles round trip and didn't get much. the future of fishing is looking bleak under the current management plans.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla View Post
we just did 480 miles round trip and didn't get much. the future of fishing is looking bleak under the current management plans.
Ben, I sure do miss the 2 day Holy-Spear-It trips to the MG. We had some great fish in the box trips.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #5
kmoose
Team Headhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkilla View Post
If you ask me the management has worked exceptionally well. I’ve been out shooting 3 separate days over the last two weeks and the stocks on all fish I shoot are the best I’ve seen them in at least ten years seeing Gags, hogs and RS on every drop. The red grouper are making a good comeback after the red tide 4+ years ago and we should be seeing fire trucks in the next couple of years. Hogs have been exceptionally plentiful with no problem finding nice ones worth shooting. Lots of legal scamps as well.

Below is a pic from a sporty trip the Friday before last when we had to do an ice shuffle at 11:00 AM. 6 people on the boat with newbies on the boat getting 2 personal best. I don’t know where you ran to but I’ve been all over the last few weeks and have seen more fish than I am willing to cock the gun on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FF2B4A6D-E5FB-4203-86E8-909AC49CA349.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	243945  
Old 09-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #6
Dbrown

Good to hear!
Dbrown is offline   Reply With Quote