Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific

Australia, New Zealand & Indo-Pacific Post your shooting reports and other stuff from Down Under and beyond

Old 11-12-2008, 07:43 PM   #1
Bill McIntyre

Missing Marine in Okinawa

I just got this from the Marine Corps Times daily summary. I hope its no one we know.
Quote:
Search on for Marine missing while snorkeling
Staff report
Posted : Wednesday Nov 12, 2008 12:21:02 EST
U.S. military personnel in Japan continued to search Wednesday for an Okinawa-based Marine who went missing Sunday while snorkeling with a fellow Marine at a popular diving spot off the western side of the island, officials said in a press release.

Japanese rescuers, who had the lead in the search, suspended their efforts earlier Wednesday morning, according to the release. Officials have not identified the two Marines, citing the ongoing investigation and privacy considerations.

The incident happened at Maeda Point around 2 p.m. Sunday. One of the Marines swam back to shore and told local police that his friend was still in the water. He declined medical attention and was released to his unit, according to the release.

The search and rescue effort included local police and fire departments, the Japanese coast guard, and the Camp Smedley D. Butler Provost Marshal’s Office and fire department.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #2
cww180

Re: Missing Marine in Okinawa

Its a sad tragedy, but the ocean here can change on you very fast. He as still not been found.
cww180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
joelovesfishin

They recovered his remains yesterday. Awaiting NOK notification before they release the name. He's not anyone who posts on here, just a guy that shouldn't have been snorkeling with the current sea condition warnings. His unit continued the search after the Japanese quit, they were the reason he was found. You gotta love Marines.

Marine still missing after Onna snorkeling incident
By David Allen, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Friday, November 14, 2008

ONNA, Okinawa — A 29-year-old Marine remained missing and is feared dead Wednesday as a result of a weekend snorkeling incident.

Japanese officials said no trace has been found of the Marine, who apparently was swept out to sea by strong waves Sunday off Maeda Point, a popular diving and snorkeling area in Onna Village on Okinawa’s western coast.

Marine officials would not release the Marine’s name or unit affiliation, citing "privacy considerations."

The search began about 2 p.m. Sunday when a 20-year-old Marine who also experienced difficulties with high waves and increasingly bad weather managed to struggle to shore, reporting he had lost contact with his friend.

The two were snorkeling about 300 feet offshore when they were overcome, said a spokesman for the Japan Coast Guard on Wednesday.

Area authorities, including Okinawa police, the Kin Fire Department, the Japan Coast Guard and military police and firefighters participated in the initial search Sunday, but only a lone swim fin belonging to the younger Marine was found at a nearby fishing port before the search was called off due to darkness.

The search resumed Monday morning with Marine Corps Bases Japan and 1st Marine Aircraft Wing officials working with Japanese authorities, who have the lead in the search, said 1st Lt. Adrian Rankine-Galloway, Marine media relations officer.

On Wednesday, Okinawa police continued to search from the sea and shore while the Japan Coast Guard reduced their search activities.

"However, we will continue the search during our routine patrol activities," said Takamichi Higa, spokesman for the Japan Coast Guard in Naha.

In the past eight years, 19 servicemembers have drowned in Okinawa waters, according to Marine statistics. Last year 12 people, including civilians and a 34-year-old Marine, drowned. Four people have died while swimming or diving in Onna so far this year.
joelovesfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:36 AM   #4
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy

Sad story. Sorry to hear of his passing and my thoughts and condolences go out to his family, friends and loved ones.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
SAFIRERNORRIS

THE YOUNG MAN POSTED ABOUT ABOVE IS MY BROTHER.

CAMP FOSTER, Okinawa — A body found floating in the waters Wednesday off Onna Village has been identified as Pvt. 1st Class Adam J. Harwood, 29, of Honolulu, Hawaii.

Harwood, assigned to Marine Wing Support Squadron 172, Marine Wing Support Group 17, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing, was reported missing about 2 p.m. Nov. 9, according to a Marine Corps Bases Japan news release Saturday.

According to local police, he and a 20-year-old Marine were snorkeling off Maeda Point when they were overcome by strong waves and swept out to sea.

The younger Marine managed to swim to shore unharmed, but Harwood disappeared in the rough waters off Okinawa’s west coast.

Harwood was a warehouse clerk who joined the Marines in February 2006. He arrived on Okinawa on Aug. 16, the release said.

As an interim safety measure following the drowning incident, Lt. Gen. Richard Zilmer, commander of Marine Corps Bases Japan and the III Expeditionary Force, on Saturday ordered all military personnel under his command to wear a personal flotation device, such as a snorkeling vest, skin diving horse collar or a buoyancy control device while snorkeling or diving.

"Upon completion of the safety investigation into the death of Pfc. Harwood, further details will be announced to include modifications to existing orders and directives," the release said.

HE WILL BE LAID TO REST IN SANTA ROSA, CA. DTE STILL PENDING UPON "HIS" RETURN TO THE US.
SAFIRERNORRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #6
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFIRERNORRIS View Post
THE YOUNG MAN POSTED ABOUT ABOVE IS MY BROTHER.
I'm so sorry to hear that. May he rest in peace, and may you and your family find a way to get through this time of testing.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
SAFIRERNORRIS

ANYONE THAT HAS QUESTIONS (FRIENDS, COMRADS, ECT) MY CONTACT ME SAFIRERNORRIS@GMAIL.COM
Old 11-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
SAFIRERNORRIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
I'm so sorry to hear that. May he rest in peace, and may you and your family find a way to get through this time of testing.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:08 PM   #9
SAFIRERNORRIS

Exclamation Re: Missing Marine in Okinawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McIntyre View Post
P.S. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE. I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE IT. FOR SOME REASON IT KIND OF HELPS, IT'S BEEN VERY HARD TO WRAP MY MIND (AS WELL OTHER FAM MEMBERS) AROUND IT. THANKS ALSO TO THE OTHERS WHOM HAVE RESPONDED
Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
Tino Bernazzani
Dreaming of BFT

Prayers sent for your brother, yourself and family.
Im sure this is a tough time for you all.
God speed Adam J. Harwood and thank you for your service.
Tino Bernazzani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:42 PM   #11
jfjf

Quote:
ANYONE THAT HAS QUESTIONS (FRIENDS, COMRADS, ECT) MY CONTACT ME SAFIRERNORRIS@GMAIL.COM
I'm very sorry for your loss.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:48 PM   #12
Bill McIntyre

Quote:
P.S. THANK YOU FOR POSTING THE ORIGINAL MESSAGE. I WAS SURPRISED TO SEE IT. FOR SOME REASON IT KIND OF HELPS,
I'm relieved to hear that. Some people might have been offended.

I subscribe to the Marine Corps Times and have signed up for an automatic email at the start and end of each day, listing current stories of interest to the military. Much of the time I don't even bother to read it, but I did happen to read the email that included the story about your brother, so I posted it just in case it was someone who posted on Spearboard.

Anyway, I'm glad if it helped in some small way. I know you need all the help you can get right now.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
FOWLER267

Terribly sorry to hear about your loss.. I hate hearing about any accident but when it's a servicemember; it just means that much more to me.

In a time of war; it takes a special person to join the military. May he rest in peace.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #14
KEYSKILLER
Your Daddy

God bless you and your family.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #15
SAFIRERNORRIS

I haven't been on here in far to long. Thank you all for the posts. He is still very much missed. Had he not passed away he would be coming home this year.
♥ ♥ ♥ R.I.P. to my brother PFC Marine Adam Harwood we love and miss you! ♥ ♥ ♥
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adam.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	172770