Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 03:33 AM   #1
mnguy

Send a message via AIM to mnguy
Laguna 11-16-06

Went out for a short jaunt at like 230-3 today looking for some fish since the flopper tip for my polespear I was waiting for came in. Didn't get into Laguna until 4 because traffic sucks. Dove from 4 till about 515, since it got too dark to see. Ended up diving Pearl/Agate st.

Surf was pretty small, though there were occasional sets that were bigger when I got out in front of the point. There wasn't much swimming around, I ended up with 2 fat sargo and a corbina for the dinner pot. I saw what I thought was a huge bug sitting in a depression in the sand in about 15 feet. I dove down on it to find that it was, at one point, a huge bug. It was a molt from what looked to be a good 4-5 pounder.

Vis was about a hazy 15 and a solid 10. There was alot of dead seaweed on the shore and in the surfline too, and apparently there's a high bacteria warning too. If I end up sick as hell in a few days we'll know why.

There are literally about 50 lobster pots on the point, most about 100 yards off of it. There was some wicked current running south too. I got out to the edge of the point on the Pearl side and was scanning around for a minute. Looked up and found that I was almost to the other end of Woods.

The tip works real well, only thing is that you can't pull a fish off the same way you got it on b/c the flopper arm has a flare at the back, so it will deploy inside the fish's flesh. I just ended up pulling the fish all the way down the pole and off of the rubbers after I knifed them.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:34 AM   #2
mnguy

Re: Laguna 11-16-06

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I am going to try and dive some more tomorrow, hopefully earlier in the day. If anyone wants to link up give me a call. 949-412-1587
Old 11-17-2006, 03:47 AM   #3
ckhb
Keegz

I'm planning to head out early on Saturday to maybe Treasure Island or Moss if possible, need to try out new 5mm wetsuit. So if anybody else is interested or may be hanging out by those spots send me a PM. From what I can see TI looks like it will be pretty nice if the conditions stay the way they were today. Anyway safe spearing over the holiday.

Chris
Old 11-17-2006, 12:40 PM   #4
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguy
The tip works real well, only thing is that you can't pull a fish off the same way you got it on b/c the flopper arm has a flare at the back, so it will deploy inside the fish's flesh. I just ended up pulling the fish all the way down the pole and off of the rubbers after I knifed them.
Hey Mike,

Just a little tip on your tip (I crack myself up!), If your trying to get the fish off of the spear and the flopper keeps deploying, just go real slow and as you are gently pulling the tip out of the fish spin the polespear at the same time, you may need to go in and out a couple of times if it hangs up, but it will eventually come out, unless your flopper is way over bent on the end which
it shouldn't be. Also it(the flopper) should be tuned, the end( the part w/o the rivit)should be sharp, and if you hold the polespear straight out from your body on the horizontal w/ the flopper on the top if you thump the pole w/ your hand(on top) the flopper should stay in the up position, fully locked, then just a very gentile touch w/ your finger it should fall back down to its resting position. Lots of guys have lost lots of fish because their flopper wasn't tuned properly. Oh, and these tuning tips also apply to euro shafts w/ fixed floppers

Good luck,

This message will self destruct in five seconds(I thought that new M. I. III was great!)

Scott
Old 11-17-2006, 01:39 PM   #5
Wind_in_his_hair

Quote:
Mike,
I am new at pole spearing. However, I have found the JBL slip tip to work very well. To get the fish off all you have to do is rotate the tip 180 degrees so you can pull the tip ,point first, back through the fish.

Mike
Wind_in_his_hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 03:27 PM   #6
mnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottywotty
Hey Mike,

Just a little tip on your tip (I crack myself up!), If your trying to get the fish off of the spear and the flopper keeps deploying, just go real slow and as you are gently pulling the tip out of the fish spin the polespear at the same time, you may need to go in and out a couple of times if it hangs up, but it will eventually come out, unless your flopper is way over bent on the end which
it shouldn't be. Also it(the flopper) should be tuned, the end( the part w/o the rivit)should be sharp, and if you hold the polespear straight out from your body on the horizontal w/ the flopper on the top if you thump the pole w/ your hand(on top) the flopper should stay in the up position, fully locked, then just a very gentile touch w/ your finger it should fall back down to its resting position. Lots of guys have lost lots of fish because their flopper wasn't tuned properly. Oh, and these tuning tips also apply to euro shafts w/ fixed floppers

Good luck,

This message will self destruct in five seconds(I thought that new M. I. III was great!)

Scott
Scott,

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try later today.

Mike,

I have the JBL sliptip too. I always have the worst luck with that thing. Meat or scales will get into the rubber holding the cable as the tip goes into a fish and will slide the rubber down the cable to the far end of the tip, so it won't deploy. The one I had before that I lost on the first shot because the fish started swimming in really fast circles, unscrewed the tip and took off into the breakwall.

I actually prefer a 3-prong for most of the diving we do out here, but I wanted the flopper tip for days when I'm specifically targeting bigger fish and/or not just going for some corbina/sargo/croaker for the dinner pot. That and, if I ever get the compunction to try and polespear a yellowtail on a paddy, I think the flopper ought to be better than a 3-prong.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #7
Wind_in_his_hair

Quote:
Scott,

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try later today.

Mike,

I have the JBL sliptip too. I always have the worst luck with that thing. Meat or scales will get into the rubber holding the cable as the tip goes into a fish and will slide the rubber down the cable to the far end of the tip, so it won't deploy. The one I had before that I lost on the first shot because the fish started swimming in really fast circles, unscrewed the tip and took off into the breakwall.
Yeah, I had the same problem. I added a second rubber to prevent the first one from sliding to far. Also used some teflon tape on the threads to prevent the tip from unscrewing. it seems to have solved the problem for now.
Old 11-17-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
Scottywotty
Long Beach Neptune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladvr
Yeah, I had the same problem. I added a second rubber to prevent the first one from sliding to far. Also used some teflon tape on the threads to prevent the tip from unscrewing. it seems to have solved the problem for now.
Mike,

Teflon tape will not lock the tip to the threads, Teflon tape was designed to seal pipe fittings to prevent leaks. Teflon is a slippery substance and might aid in removal of the tip rather than keeping it on.

We all use Loc-tite, the blue one, it is almost a type of glue specifically for machine threads, there are a few colors, the red, is almost a permanent bond and heat should be used to remove the parts whereas the blue is designed to release when enough force is applied.

Just a few more tips for your tips!

Scott

Last edited by Scottywotty; 11-17-2006 at 05:11 PM.
Scottywotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
Wind_in_his_hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottywotty
Mike,

Teflon tape will not lock the tip to the threads, Teflon tape was designed to seal pipe fittings to prevent leaks. Teflon is a slippery substance and might aid in removal of the tip rather than keeping it on.

We all use Loc-tite, the blue one, it is almost a type of glue specifically for threads, there are a few colors, the red, is almost a permanent bond and heat should be used to remove the parts whereas the blue is designed to release when enough force is applied.

Just a few more tips for your tips!

Scott
Thanks! I'll try that.