Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:47 PM   #1
popgun pete

Bluefin Tuna worth a million plus!

Here is a Japanese guy who spends up big on Bluefin Tuna for his restaurant chain.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...cli/index.html

Probably a bit of a publicity stunt, but big Tuna are going to be pursued even more now given the prospect of bags of money for those who can land them in prime condition.
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Bluefin Tuna worth a million plus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by popgun pete View Post
Here is a Japanese guy who spends up big on Bluefin Tuna for his restaurant chain.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/artic...cli/index.html

Probably a bit of a publicity stunt, but big Tuna are going to be pursued even more now given the prospect of bags of money for those who can land them in prime condition.
Hmmm...reading through the lines, I see a demonstrable class separation willing to throw money at some food that one just digests. Albeit, it's good food, but c'mon. It's a curious social introspection, IMO.
“If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?”
― Frederic Bastiat, The Law
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:11 PM   #3
popgun pete

It is probably full of mercury infused organic compounds, so you would not be eating much of it at a time if you valued your long term health. Big Tuna vacuum up a lot of smaller fish to keep them going and in order to build up their meaty bodies, so are concentrators of pollution.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:20 PM   #4
SEATUX

Maybe my math is off, but I keep track or % of yield on grouper, aj, hog, etc. Figure 42% of gross weight for pure fillets ( no skin, bone, red meat etc) so lets say this tuna delivers 50%, that's about 300 lbs, at $1.8 mill that comes out to about $375/oz...kinda stiff!
What do you want to bet he serves over a thousand pounds of fish off that one purchase ( in all his stores combined).
It's all Hype.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:58 PM   #5
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
Maybe my math is off, but I keep track or % of yield on grouper, aj, hog, etc. Figure 42% of gross weight for pure fillets ( no skin, bone, red meat etc) so lets say this tuna delivers 50%, that's about 300 lbs, at $1.8 mill that comes out to about $375/oz...kinda stiff!
What do you want to bet he serves over a thousand pounds of fish off that one purchase ( in all his stores combined).
It's all Hype.
I think you are right, the same guy paid 3.1 million last year for a slightly bigger one!
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/05/tuna...sh-market.html

Just reading that article the answer lies here. "Kimura had held the record for top price paid for a single fish at the new year’s auction for six straight years until 2017. But last year, the owner of a different fish restaurant chain paid the highest price."