Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

View Poll Results: Gat-ku or Keller Aquatics?
Gat-ku 59 79.73%
Keller Aquatics 15 20.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 4.92 average. Display Modes
Old 12-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #31
watergecko

Cool Re: Gat-ku or Keller Aquatics?

Gat-ku rocks, used it in the Keys this summer, was extremely happy, felt great ,a lot of power. Recommended it to my brother.
watergecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:34 PM   #32
AlvinA

Re: Gat-ku or Keller Aquatics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by watergecko View Post
Gat-ku rocks, used it in the Keys this summer, was extremely happy, felt great ,a lot of power. Recommended it to my brother.
I thank my brother for the Gat-Ku recommendation, I'm getting one for Christmas...but what is a Watergecko?
AlvinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:06 PM   #33
Otis Driftwood
"the hold out pic"

I had a larger grouper bend my Gatku 90 degrees in about a 14" radius hard against a rock. I thought it would snap for sure. When the fish let up I was able to pull the shaft back though and the slip tip engaged relieving the shaft.
Otis Driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM   #34
fishkillapro

You guys heard of Gorilla Pole Spears? Apparently they took over Reidell (sp?) a California spear from years ago.

Last edited by fishkillapro; 02-23-2015 at 08:44 PM.
fishkillapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:05 AM   #35
Grasshopper
GATKU.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis Driftwood View Post
I had a larger grouper bend my Gatku 90 degrees in about a 14" radius hard against a rock. I thought it would snap for sure. When the fish let up I was able to pull the shaft back though and the slip tip engaged relieving the shaft.
Thanks Otis, that's pretty cool to hear. I've been trying my best to snap the carbon graphite rod of ours this past year and I've been shocked with how much bend and abuse it can take. I've yet to see it snap.

I don't know if any of you were at the Blue Wild in Florida this past weekend but I wanted to say thank you to all of you guys that have ever bought a GATKU. I made the first one 10 years ago when I was a freshman in college and never thought it'd be where it is today. It was never really my intention, I just love diving and spearfishing, and had the opportunity to help design the polespear known today as a GATKU.

A big special thank you to everyone that stopped by to see Dustin and I this weekend. We don't get the chance to meet our customers personally very often and it was really humbling to have so many of you tell us how much you like our polespears. I really enjoyed meeting you guys. I look forward to coming back next year.

I'm off to baja for a week to batter and abuse the GATKU some more and hopefully have the chance at some great fish. Thanks again guys. Here's a short video of my recent IUSA Yellowtail World Record I took with a GATKU Ten'er Slip Tip.
http://youtu.be/E9RDX9dxml8?list=PLq...LbEMCqdYV1RycU

If you guys ever have any questions or need anything, Dustin and I are always available. Shoot us an email or give us a ring on our cell, we enjoy talking with you guys. (Ryan@GATKU.com or Dustin@GATKU.com)
Instagram: instagram.com/ryangattoni
Grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 AM   #36
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Having used all kinds of polespears for over 45 years and probably 50+ long pole spearing trips to Hawaii, Mexico, Pacific Costa Rica, Eastern Central America, Caribbean and Bahamas, I feel I can judge a polespear. I have "lived off the land" for months at a time with just a polespear for food gathering, many times. I take 3-4 month long trips to the Bahamas every summer and bring along an assortment of polespears and Hawaiian slings, and have lots of friends bring theirs also. Karl Keller asked me to try out his new revised pole spear this summer. I have used past versions of his spears. I will give a full review at the end of the summer. Hopefully with a couple World records.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 02:10 PM   #37
azspearo
Spearboard Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkillapro View Post
You guys heard of Gorilla Pole Spears? Apparently they took over Reidell (sp?) a California spear from years ago.
When Pete Riedel quit making spears all his inventory and tooling went to a custom speargun/shaft builder in SoCal. Gorilla Products was started to fill a void. Don't think Gorilla are making spears anymore.

There was another big game spear builder (Bob Cockerham) that built quality innovative spears, but since has retired from building. Bob was out of Florida and the Bahamas. I was lucky enough to meet with him at the second Blue Wild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6497.JPG
Views:	899
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	215287  
Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM   #38
Lazy L

I don't normally post but I have to highly recommend my crist spear and my two Keller spears. My son and I normally hunt in the Bahamas and the keys and need durable spears. I personally like a heavier spear which both of these are. Both spears go through thick fish like a hot knife through butter (seriously). The power of both is incredible.
Ed
Lazy L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 09:03 AM   #39
jfjf

What is the status of Keller pole Spears Inc.? Last I checked the website did not allow orders.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:51 PM   #40
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Jfjf,
The trusted and loved Keller spear has been under reconstruction by myself and Karl and I's original machinist we have used all along . Mike the machinist and I have brought some additional important improvements to the construction process and quality control so that we can ramp up production and offer the spears in retailers nationwide before summer sneaks up on us.

Stay tuned for more info and an official release of information.

If you loved the original Keller spear your gonna fall head over heals with the new offering.

For those that will be looking for replacement parts , we have made the old and new components interchangeable.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:59 AM   #41
Thin man

Killian, that is good news. I remember reading that you were picking up the mantle for Karl and have been checking the site periodically to see if Keller Aquatics is back in action. I will be spending a month in the Bahamas in October and want to try out your gear.
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:02 PM   #42
J-VET

I have a Gatku 9er and love it. The customer service is top notch. The only other spear I have tried is my Crist. It too is awesome, just different.
J-VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:34 PM   #43
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLIAN View Post
Jfjf,
The trusted and loved Keller spear has been under reconstruction by myself and Karl and I's original machinist we have used all along . Mike the machinist and I have brought some additional important improvements to the construction process and quality control so that we can ramp up production and offer the spears in retailers nationwide before summer sneaks up on us.

If you loved the original Keller spear your gonna fall head over heals with the new offering.

For those that will be looking for replacement parts , we have made the old and new components interchangeable.
Thanks Killian... Good luck with your new venture! You have some big shoes to fill.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #44
nowayout

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLIAN View Post
Jfjf,

Killian, any updates on production? I need a bluewater spear.
nowayout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #45
KILLIAN
from lurker to legend...

Give me a shout or send me a text and I will get you set up with a blue water spear. 772-979-440four.

I have spears ready for sale , they are sick and have been taking big fish all summer so far. Website isn't complete so I have been handling orders by phone.