Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Texas Gulf Coast

Texas Gulf Coast The Gulf Coast of the great state of Texas all the way from its border with Louisiana to Mexico is represented here

Old 04-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #1
wescoast

Moving From Florida

Work is taking me from the great spearfishing and monster lobster offshore Jacksonville to Texas - Houston to be exact. Can anyone give me a quick primer on where I'm going to have to go to do the same sort of diving? Accustomed to 80' - 120' and vis whereever we can find it. I've scanned the posts and I see plenty of jetty and rig diving, but is there reef/ledge/wreck/rubble type of structure out in the gulf and where will I have to go to dive it? CC? No boat, but a good mate, boat cleaner and gas splitter. Looking forward to meeting some new folks. Thanks in advance.
wescoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 AM   #2
los mentirosos
Dave Mote

Re: Moving From Florida

Sorry, your not gonna find what you had in FL. We do have the flower gardens out of Galveston but it is a no spear zone. There are rocks out my way but they are in 300 fsw with the tops coming up to 260 or so. At least some good news, the viz out 25 miles or more can be in your target range. Also there is not the overcrowded feeling I seem get when I read the FL boards. Contact Kieth he runs a charter up your way and I've heard is a stand up guy. http://www.texasbluewatersafaris.com/
Welcome to Texas and good luck.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
RJustice

There are a bunch of us out of the Houston area that like to play in the blue water. When we get together it ends up costing us $200-$750 per person. It all depends on how many go and how far. But this cost is on a nice boat with an awesome CPT that knows his stuff when it comes to spearing. As mentioned before, contact Keith at Texas Bluewater Safaris.
RJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:46 AM   #4
LIMITLESS
Anything is possible...

when do you plan to be moving? i will be in the galveston area for school sometime this summer thru the next couple years, i try to go spearing every other weekend weather permit, but i also have to say get with Keith...

https://youtu.be/Dkqo-KWsjfQ
matthew7stall(at)gmail(dot)com
LIMITLESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
gnominic
Travelling the south....

Send a message via Yahoo to gnominic

Texas is similar to Jax in that you have to make a boat ride, but in Texas it will be a bit further. The benthic gulf is largely featureless, but that tends to concentrate fish on offshore structure. Oil Rigs are some of the best diving there is. I've seen clouds of fish in Texas that are unheard of in modern FL waters. I've been disoriented by snapper and spade fish swirlling around me.

So, from Houston you'll want to head to Freeport/Surfside. It's a bit further than Galveston, but you loose the heavy car and boat traffic. More importantly, deep water is closer to shore and the Trinity R and Sabine R are farther away. The Brazos R carries it's share of silt, but is largely problematic when there's a flood.

The further south you go the better water conditions are, but you loose the oil rig density.

I rank Texas spearing over FL spearing (sorry guys!) but your mileage may very. It does cost more in Texas for sure.

Good luck.

-dennis
.... and see amazing fish ....
.... and spear them ....
gnominic is offline   Reply With Quote