Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing

Florida Gulfcoast Spearfishing Post here to discuss regional action or issues about spearing on Florida's Gulfcoast.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #61
spearhunter11
Surgical Shooter!

Re: BULL SHARK ALERT - Clearwater

Neither. I sure you have just seen me around, we might of crossed paths.
spearhunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #62
Kill.Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchormgmt View Post
John Burg, I've been on this site for a while, just never asked any questions because I really didn't have any. I didn't state the amount of dives I do in an effort to one up you (though I dive considerably more than you). I was just trying to make the point that your diving in the wrong place if your surrounded by bull sharks... That makes sense right? I'm not trying to argue, just trying to point you in a different direction.... If your still diving the rube Allen, you should probably spend more than 2 of your 15 hours looking for new spots... (not sure why your underwater looking for spots??? Get a good bottom finder and you can do it from the boat).

Ok I'm done being a smart ass... Just messing with you john... Let's get in the mix and do some dives together...
actually your not diving in the wrong place if your diving with bullsharks ...
the sharks arent there to just hang out ... they came for the same thing you did the fish ...
Kill.Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:54 PM   #63
charlie123

Hey guys Iam reading your stories.I see most of you live down in Florida.Ilive on the coast of N.C. we had the same encounter last year in N.C. I was first diver in setting the anchor.about 5 minutes in to the dive got a nice gag an guess what shows up not 1 but 2 bulls for some reason they dont give up.One of the bulls came right in I was able to give him a tap on head with my riffe CX3 that just pissed him off. Few minutes later he came back in its game on I was able to screw on Ph its a done deal busted his ass hitting him right in gill plate.Got it all on GO Pro.Two days later around the same area we were spearfishing four guys out fishing decide to jump into the water to get cooled off.The last guy to get back in the boat got a bite that took 45 staples to close him up plus a few days in the local hospital.My wife who is a RN helped take care of him at the hospital he told her the area were they decided to go for the swim by some chance it was around the same AR reef we were had been spearing on a few days eariler.All I got to say is be careful if you see one bull there is usually theres another.
charlie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #64
charlie123

I forgot to mention if you have not seen this video called Tiger at the tower check it out on youtube this is the size of some of the sharks we have in N.C. super video.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #65
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie123 View Post
I forgot to mention if you have not seen this video called Tiger at the tower check it out on youtube this is the size of some of the sharks we have in N.C. super video.
Pretty cool video, what was he eating? Is it a bull or tiger?
I think sharks are awesome as long as its not my ass they want to taste.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Burg John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #66
charlie123

The tiger shark was eating a 6 ft. sand bar shark.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #67
VinceC

I have been diving for near 40 years. I have seen as many sharks in the last 5 as the previous 35 and they are way more aggressive. I was bit by a shark (very very minor) about 12 years ago. Tell you what though...way more dangerous today. I'm trying to figure out a proper float line method. I know the California spearfishermen have this perfected because of Whites but I'm not getting the gist even after reading a ton of blogs and whatever. Also used bang sticks years ago but I am evaluating purchase now.
VinceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:42 PM   #68
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Welcome vince, i am john, mikes friend with the aquasport, we talked about a run out to the pride together a little while ago and when it flattens out we should def still do it.

Interesting info on the increase in aggression, probably over fishing you think? Either way i would probably trade our bulls for whites if i could.

We tried out shooting the bag up the shot line and it seems to work out fine but hopefully we won't have to do it for real very much.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 AM   #69
VinceC

Hey John. Yep we'll definitely get out there when weather calms. Problem is we're getting to that point in the year when it is one front after another so hopefully be a break.

Idk...overfishing? It probably has more to do with the fact the artificial reefs have developed and matured nicely and are attracting so many fish it becomes a good hunting ground for sharks. The ARs are way nicer now off Pinellas County than they were 20 years ago.

I put my fish in a bag rather than on a stringer which seems to help. I'm thinking if there are sharks then I'll float the bag to the surface and retrieve it once on the boat. Don't think sharks will mess with the bag and usually I'll kill the fish with a dagger before putting int he bag. If I see a Bull I'm outta the water. Go somewhere else or dive another day. Not messing with them damn things but will be getting a power head for self protection.
VinceC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:33 AM   #70
sharpshooter

I believe the commercial harvesting quota for sharks has been greatly reduced for the Gulf Of Mexico over the last few years. Perhaps one of the commercial guys can chime in. John, since you dive at night and seem to be a shark magnet lately. Have you looked into a Shark Shield?
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #71
Topcat333
TheCleverFisherman

http://www.flmnh.ufl.edu/fish/sharks...11summary.html
Topcat333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #72
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
I believe the commercial harvesting quota for sharks has been greatly reduced for the Gulf Of Mexico over the last few years. Perhaps one of the commercial guys can chime in. John, since you dive at night and seem to be a shark magnet lately. Have you looked into a Shark Shield?
I did look into the shield but i think it's a bit pricey for how many times a year i have to deal with sharks, plus i already carry way to much crap. If they continue to be a problem and i feel my new custom loaded 357 mag powerheads are insufficient then i may invest in a shark shield.

Do you have a shield?

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Old 10-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #73
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat333 View Post
Interesting read, thanks for sharing.

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30
Old 10-14-2012, 05:45 PM   #74
sharpshooter

John, no I don't own a shark shield. Have thought about it. I don't spear at night here in the local area or in the MG. I have only free shafted 3 bull sharks in about 30 years of diving the GOM. All 3 have been in the middlegrounds. No time to load the slip on 30-06 PH. Came in just that fast. Lots of gags,low vis, and in the early spring or late summer migration time. Like they say, if it's real fishy down there. Then, don't be surprised to see lots of sharks. I think you're problems will swim further down south in the next few weeks. Good luck and have someone watch you're back. Bulls don't always come in from the front or sides.
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:14 PM   #75
Burg John
hogfish ceviche bitches

Ought six powerhead hot damn. That will blow some zambezi brains clean out lol. I have never used a ph before but I've shot a lot of 30-06 rifles and if it weighs less than 8lbs and you don't have perfect form then your shaking a retina loose. Do the big caliber ph act any different than the pistol round ones? I would much rather have a rifle round for bull shark size "targets".

1996 seadoo xp 800
2003 lowe 1648
1994 aquasport 22.5
1973 chriscraft 30