Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Recipe Corner > Recipes Here!

Recipes Here! Here's your little corner to demonstrate your culinary skills.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #1
AndrewK

Fishcakes

Used this recipe to make fishcakes with triggerfish this weekend. can probably substitute any kind of fish. I may make another one with triggerfish, snapper and shrimp. or one with shrimp, crab and lobster. works best if you refrigerate the mixture before you cook it for an hour or so, holds together better.

2 lbs fish cut into ½" square pieces
2 heaping tbs mayo
2 tbs dijon mustard
1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
2 eggs
1 cup coarse chopped onions
1 cup coarse chopped green pepper
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups Italian breadcrumbs
2tbs hot red pepper flakes (more or less to taste)

Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Form into patties about an inch thick. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat and cook 4 minutes per side or until golden brown. Enjoy hot or cold. Makes around 10 cakes.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
primalpete

Re: Fishcakes

If you lightly poach the fish first in water seasoned with old bay the fish will get a texture similar to crab. I find sheepshead makes the best cakes but any white flakey fish works. I used to use small yellowtails alot. Grouper and snapper head meat is also a good choice but you have to cook them down and pick out the meat.

I prefer zatarains crab cake mix. You can find it in the breading section at publix normally. I add a bunch of cooled flaked fish, jalapenos, diced onion and bell pepper, mayo, eggs, garlic, plenty of old bay, and instead of water use beer, normally an IPA like sierra nevada. Can be pan fried or rolled into balls and deep fried. Deep frying is easy and great for parties. Serve with a chipotle, lime, honey mayo. There are never leftovers.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #3
LunkerBuster
Hungry Fish

Mmmmm sounds delicious guys
Old 12-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
AndrewK

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalpete View Post
If you lightly poach the fish first in water seasoned with old bay the fish will get a texture similar to crab. I find sheepshead makes the best cakes but any white flakey fish works. I used to use small yellowtails alot. Grouper and snapper head meat is also a good choice but you have to cook them down and pick out the meat.

I prefer zatarains crab cake mix. You can find it in the breading section at publix normally. I add a bunch of cooled flaked fish, jalapenos, diced onion and bell pepper, mayo, eggs, garlic, plenty of old bay, and instead of water use beer, normally an IPA like sierra nevada. Can be pan fried or rolled into balls and deep fried. Deep frying is easy and great for parties. Serve with a chipotle, lime, honey mayo. There are never leftovers.
sounds damn good.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #5
Cuda23

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalpete View Post

Sounds good and I like the IPA instead of water. I can't remember the last time I drank water.
Cuda23 is offline   Reply With Quote