Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Freshwater Shooting

Freshwater Shooting Live inland, away from the ocean? Tell us about freshwater hunting here.

Old 06-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #1
Desert Spearo

Posting etiquette

Does the Freshwater Forum have a set of etiquette when posting or asking about dive spots? I've been on the California forum and others where they are fairly protective about talking about specific dive spots. I assume it is probably because there are more spearfishermen in California and other coastal states and they do want to people broadcasting where the best places are. That being said, I don't think we as many freshwater divers on here to be worried about increased fishing pressure.
Desert Spearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:18 AM   #2
FWFishSlayer

Re: Posting etiquette

I noticed the same thing. I think its also because of hook and line guys swarming a hotspot and not just the higher amount of spearos there? I think I agree with you about us freshwater guys though. While I'm sure a lot of us have our "secret spots" that we dont want people to know about I personally dont have a problem with talking about good spots, or letting people know where I found fish a particular day. If there is some code of etiquette for us too I dont know about it.
FWFishSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:07 AM   #3
spearthebigones
Daniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Spearo View Post
Does the Freshwater Forum have a set of etiquette when posting or asking about dive spots? I've been on the California forum and others where they are fairly protective about talking about specific dive spots. I assume it is probably because there are more spearfishermen in California and other coastal states and they do want to people broadcasting where the best places are. That being said, I don't think we as many freshwater divers on here to be worried about increased fishing pressure.
Yep we have more than enough people living in California, but to make matters worse we just got a bunch of massive fishing closure zones created along the coast and islands. It's pushed a ton of spearfishermen in to smaller areas. You can imagine how frustrating it is when you grew up diving a small reef all by yourself shooting big bass every time. But now you go back and there's 9 other divers swimming in that same small reef and you can barely find a single bass worth taking. You can't help but feel irritated off when you see someone online tell even more people to go dive your local dive spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FWFishSlayer View Post
I noticed the same thing. I think its also because of hook and line guys swarming a hotspot and not just the higher amount of spearos there?
I don't mind seeing 6 rod and reel fishing boats on my dive spot, but if I see 6 dive boats on my dive spot I'm going to be pissed.

Last edited by spearthebigones; 06-02-2015 at 05:17 AM.
spearthebigones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #4
Istickfish

I think discretion is always advisable. Details should be shared over PM or other means. Just my opinion.
Istickfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:31 PM   #5
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

I'm more of a "teach a man to fish" kind of guy. I will share with you the type of terrain, water depth and temperature, and techniques to find fish, rather than a specific rock in a specific lake. That allows you to find your own honey holes, and encourages you to better understand your quarry.

I don't mind taking other divers with me, and if you are diving out of my boat, you are part of my team, and you can dive exactly the same spots as me. I won't blindfold a diver on the way to a spot, so if they really wanted to, they could bring a GPS and sneak it into a waypoint for future use. Or, they could learn from the experience and find what features hold fish, and have a lifetime of better fishing.

Questions about the Fox Float? Send them to Foxfloats@gmail.com

www.foxfloats.com
sticknrelease is offline   Reply With Quote