Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #16
tuffstuff
Mathew Goncalves

Re: Looking to Buy New Speargun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowow View Post
Agree with you there. Are they the best in the world and the end all gun? NO. Are they the shittiest gun that no one should ever buy? NO. But for someone with a budget of 150 and just wants a working ok gun, alot of old jbl's will do the trick.

When I was young I got into the sport cause of JBL, otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford spearfishing when I first started.
The biller he has is better than the JBL...so he should just keep his money.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
tuffstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #17
Nix

If the budget can be increased just a bit, a Pathos pro would be a good option too.
I've owned JBL too and I would advise you look at something like rob allen, pathos, freediver or other reputable railguns. It'll be more accurate and better out of the box. I have made JBLs shoot ok if you are able to do a lot of tweeking. The tweeking means spending money. The stock spears are too heavy for a band configuration that suits the gun. After changing bands and shaft, you add more than $60 at least. Go to Nautilus and up the budget a bit or look for a good deal second hand.

Why not sell the biller so you can start with a really nice budget?

Last edited by Nix; 11-17-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Nix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 03:57 PM   #18
J.lata808

I can’t say enough good things about my MAKO 130. This has become my go to gun! It’s a great setup light, reliable, accurate, and tracks well! I even paired it up with their 100-meter reel so I could go after ono (wahoo) without the hustle of a float and float line. I believe the Predator Pro 3 is in your price range too! Its a great gun and even comes with a great warranty!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1511123974964.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	236026  
J.lata808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:55 PM   #19
FalconSpearo

Hey everyone! Sorry for late response, I was letting everyone voice their opinions and comments. I appreciate everyone's input. I just wanted advice because I haven't owned too many guns so I like what I am hearing about Mako, Pathos and JBL.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:00 AM   #20
Jankglass

im sure you can find a beat up rob allen 110 for less then 150. that would be the best option for power and accuracy in my opinion.
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 10:01 AM   #21
Alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by jankglass View Post
im sure you can find a beat up rob allen 110 for less then 150. That would be the best option for power and accuracy in my opinion.
x2
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:21 AM   #22
Scubadood

Send a message via Yahoo to Scubadood Send a message via Skype™ to Scubadood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jankglass View Post
im sure you can find a beat up rob allen 110 for less then 150. that would be the best option for power and accuracy in my opinion.
x3
I have a 110 Rob Allen il sell you for $150.00
Good Luck
Scubadood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:41 PM   #23
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Please enlighten me on how switching guns with essentially the same draw length can increase power?The Biller 54 has a muzzle to back notch of about 110 cm .

As far as accuracy,with all the ass shots and guts ripped out I see posted all the time,I am leery to believe any accuracy claims from many people.
100days-a-year is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 06:42 PM   #24
SEATUX

ALL he needs to do is replace the damn screw tip shaft with a Biller "Floridian" shaft...problem solved. I do have some other things that I would tweek on the gun, but overall that gun will service him well!
As for the JBL,,,anyone interested , do this simple test..load the shaft into the trigger mech on that JBL..now do the same thing with a Biller...if you dont see the difference, go ahead, buy that JBL! ( and I didnt even address the "fit and feel" of the two, the term Cave man comes to mind!) Nuff Said.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 09:16 PM   #25
kavachi
the deeper the blue.....

Pathos Laser pro the best cheap gun for most hunting IMHO. plenty around secondhand, and often sold with better bands and shaft than factory rig
kavachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:38 AM   #26
Jankglass

i think most of the guys here preaching for billers have killed a lot of fish in the early 90's when there were no other options and are stuck on a nostalgic kick
Old 11-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #27
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Since the 80s for me.
On 3 guns ,a JBL and 2 Billers .
Shot roughly 5 tons so far this year of mixed good fish and stuck over a ton of lions,OK for an old guy using such antiquated equipment.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:46 AM   #28
Jankglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
Since the 80s for me.
On 3 guns ,a JBL and 2 Billers .
Shot roughly 5 tons so far this year of mixed good fish and stuck over a ton of lions,OK for an old guy using such antiquated equipment.
as a seasoned pro im sure you do more diving/shooting in 2 months then the op does all year. what works for you doesn't always work for the next guy.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:29 AM   #29
100days-a-year
Seafood Sifu

Smile Re: Looking to Buy New Speargun

I learned from people more experienced than me instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

I encourage innovation like roller muzzles,carbon fiber barrels,hybrids etc but in the end as mentioned it is a stick ,a rubber band and a 5 foot long piece of stainless rod.There is only so much you can do and it is rarely any significant improvement.

The area where most spearfishermen need the most improvements are in skills,not gear.
Spend all that dough on diving and your skills get good. I have yet to outshot by anyone because of their gear,it is always skill.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:48 AM   #30
Jankglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100days-a-year View Post
I learned from people more experienced than me instead of trying to reinvent the wheel.

I encourage innovation like roller muzzles,carbon fiber barrels,hybrids etc but in the end as mentioned it is a stick ,a rubber band and a 5 foot long piece of stainless rod.There is only so much you can do and it is rarely any significant improvement.

The area where most spearfishermen need the most improvements are in skills,not gear.
Spend all that dough on diving and your skills get good. I have yet to outshot by anyone because of their gear,it is always skill.
i agree. but i still think there is a nostalgic feeling with billers for the older spearos and thats a main reason you will never give them up.
if i was shooting fish in the 90's id prolly shoot a biller too