Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 08-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #1
Kevin Sheets

What is the rule of etiquette on this?

I want to query this board for an opinion.

I was at a dive spot yesterday, we got there and anchored. We had a flag on our boat, and a flag on my bouy, which was with me. We swam over to the rock and I look up, here comes a sport fisherman with 4 spearos on board. I waved at them and told them we were two divers in the water. They were about 100 ft away. They proceeded to put divers in right next to us! To tell the you the truth, I was friggin pissed!!! I don't dive on top on other fishermen be them spearos or RnR guys. For one thing, its friggin RUDE!!!! and INCONSIDERATE!!! But that's my opinion. What do you think? They had every right to dive there as I did, and they were beyond the 50ft RI Dive flag law. But damn it, I don't intrude on other divers and I was there first!

Okay, I am done, ready for your answer.
Kevin Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
tgilchrist01

Re: What is the rule of etiquette on this?

Were they in a Grady White? We had a group enter a site site in a similar manner in June. They didn't anchor, loitered around the interesting side of the rock opposite from where we anchored, but where we were actively diving, with flags. Flag on boat too. We had less than charitable thoughts about them.

Frankly, other than being too close to one of our party, diving without individual flags (there was a flag on the boat), I don't think they violated any rules, just dam close to the line.

The site had room for 4 guys that you know, 8 guys, 5 of which you have reason to suspect was too much.

Tom
tgilchrist01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
Kevin Sheets

This sounds like the same group. A small flag on the boat, NO flags or buoys with the divers and yes, close to us, but not less than 100 ft. I didn't see any markings or id on the boat. Not sure what make it was, maybe Jim Cuda got a better view?They did stay mostly out of our way, but ruined any chance of any of us finding bass.

We left shortly afterward when I realized the bass were not there.

Point is, this is not the SW ledge at Block Is, or the Race, or anyplace like that. You don't need to crowd in on other divers here along the shore.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
erk

sounds like the idiots last year that jumped in on us in plymouth
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Kevin Sheets

Similar situation but these guys were fellow spearfishermen.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #6
flspearin

it's bull crap is what it is. Happened to me too when we were freedive spearing a wreck, some Dive charter boat came right on top of us with like 10 bubblers who all jumped in right under us. Some people need to learn what courtesy is on the water
flspearin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
millarhighlife

That's total BS. The ocean is big enough for them to find another comparable spot while you're diving there. They can always come back when you leave. 100 feet is too close.
millarhighlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #8
ed3333

Kev, you are 100% correct. People ... WTF!
ed3333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Crusty Old Dive

Oh I know those guys... they are members of D.O.U.C.H.E freediving club.
Crusty Old Dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
feedemsteel26

Thats bull$hit u shouldve had the balls to tell them how u felt kev. Not sayn ur a wuss but i wouldve asked them to get out nicely at first then if they didnt then letem do what they want and shoot what u can and go to a betterpot b ut yes thats rude and rod n reel guys frown on it y shouldnt we.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
Kevin Sheets

Dude, I am not the silent type! We had a discussion, with a few gestures, but arguing with a sport fisherman while you are in the water is a losing proposition. What I needed was a few percussion grenades to drop in while his divers were over. Even an M80 might have got the message across.

Anyway, we left after awhile and found better spots. I have yet to gain anything from getting into a pissing contest with another boat. Doesn't seem to pay off. It would be nice to come up with some kind of deterrent.
Old 08-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #12
feedemsteel26

Yea i guess ur rite but i hav no problem telling some fn poacher off property line to get the **** out or dep will be called while im deer hunting and its happened more than once thats how i see it even though the ocean is open to everyone .
Old 08-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #13
scrounger

Send a message via AIM to scrounger

paintball gun might be your only option, the more days i spend on the water the more i know people dont find their own fish. they will drive by and drop a waypoint into their machine or just short drift you. last week we were fishing out at block we were all alone, hooked up with one fish then we wound up with 6 tools around us. if you are too stupid to find fish all you can do is spot jack
scrounger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
shipwreckterror

that happened to me once, i went to kings and these guys without dive flags, and who have told me they take more than the limit for tog and purposely shoot undersized fish, wedged me out of the spot in was in, every time I'd go they'd be there and i couldn't hunt at the spot i always go to. its frustrating.
shipwreckterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:55 PM   #15
veriqster

if you REALLY want to ruin their day than sacrifice your stringer, does not matter what kind of fish you got on it, make a couple of deep cuts on them and anchor it on the bottom, it will not take long before other fish eaters will scare the crap out of them; i was trolling half a fish (mostly the head) last year off fisher's island and all of the sudden heard the clicking on the reel, 2 seconds later when i got to it the line was slack, upon reeling it in I was missing more than 1 ft of the terminal tackle, hook, weight and "bait" including, the 1/8 stainless cable was sliced CLEAN, , better than i managed to do with a specialized tool
just let them deal with that
veriqster is offline   Reply With Quote