Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 09:41 AM   #511
AASosa

Re: Current Vis Biscayne Bay / Elliott area and Miami

Live from the reef lmao time for some CORONAS!!!!

ZERO VISIBILITY! Was like diving in milk all the way out to the 3rd reef
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6509.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	232818  

Last edited by AASosa; 05-02-2017 at 05:54 AM.
AASosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:54 AM   #512
gfontela

Was the visibility bad out there today? Anyone our arround Elliot Key area?
gfontela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:30 AM   #513
AASosa

Elliot key Today and ZERO visibility... I wouldn't waste my time the next couple of days...
Old 05-02-2017, 02:26 PM   #514
gfontela

I went out of Elliot Key today and also had terrible viz! Looks like calm winds will have to stick around for a few days to get the water to settle down.
gfontela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:31 AM   #515
Thin man

We took the boat out of Homestead Saturday in what began as a trip with me and my four kids, age 10 the oldest, which was highly questioned by my wife due to the holiday weekend. This changed later in the week when her clients had to reschedule and the self proclaimed anchor wench could come along. So with the idea of primarily checking out some new area and getting in the water with the kids, we set out.

We went through Caesar's Creek and turned south to areas I had marked using Navionics charts on my phone that looked like decent reefs based on topographical data in water from 30' up to about 6'. The first spot yielded a couple fish, one being a 24" red and a couple empty conch shells for the kids. Everyone was happy, no one was throwing up or bleeding, so we made a move to a nearby second spot. In we all went and I immediately saw a big black mosey off of the reef to a nearby patch. Immediately, I forgot about my kids, wife, and all other responsibilities and went to hunting. It never ran, but stayed just out of range and even laid down among the fans at one point. But after trying both a slow gentle approach as well as a kamikaze attack, it swam far enough away that I could no longer track it. The viz was really good where we were at, 40'-50'. So I stayed in the water, checking on the wife and kids occasionally, and found a decent yellow jack, all the while checking holes and nooks and crannys on the large reef we were on. On the final hole check in about 15', I saw the tail of the grouper I had chased around. I got the best angle I could and put the shaft in it. It turned out to be a pretty good shot, but the fish wasn't going anywhere. It was only about 12:00 at that point so I figured even if it took me the rest of the day, and punching little holes in it with the kids trident pole spear, I was going to get the fish out of there. And after a couple dives and some wrestling, I was able to get my hands on its throat and bring it out. It was 38" and after taking it home to weigh it, and a line at the cleaning table, we weighed it on the bathroom scale at 30#.

The day turned out to be a very good one. No one got punched, bitten, or scratched, my wife and I are still married, the kids took their shots at little grunts with the pole spear (no luck there), and we got our grouper fill, for the day anyway. Boat traffic on the water was a little busy between Caesar's and Angelfish, but not bad. There was a full flotilla at Sands Cut, and the ramp was pretty tame considering what I expected. We got in by 7:30 and were out by 3:00, so that set us up for success I'm sure.

Visibility was very good, temps around 80 deg, and waves were barely one footers.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fish3small.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	150.4 KB
ID:	233673  
Thin man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:15 PM   #516
brooklyndiver

Nice fish, sounds like a great day out on the water
brooklyndiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 08:04 AM   #517
Thin man

The plan for yesterday was to take the big guns out to try our hand at bluewater spearing. Unfortunately two of our crew had last minute obligations, late enough that we couldn't find replacements, so two of us headed out with trolling gear and reef guns. We found two sets of birds, and rain showers, and pulled two schoolie's off the first and one undersized mahi off the second, both in water from 450' - 550'. The sun began to shine and we didn't see any more birds or weeds and headed into the reef. We progressively fished inward, moving slowly in one reef at a time. We only saw one shootable black that eluded us, took one red that 23", and brought in some hogs, yellow jack, a mangrove and schoolmaster. Vis was good 50' to the bottom and water temp was 83 - 84.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #518
cirosciortino

Hey guys looking for dive buddies, either shore dives or boat dives, Ill pitch in for gas or whatever. I usually freedive in anything less than 45-50'. let me know if anyone is interested.

ciro.sciortino2@gmail.com
cirosciortino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 05:07 PM   #519
Boatboy
Southeast of Disorder

Any one gone out recently?
Any update on the viz??????
Boatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:51 PM   #520
Thin man

A buddy and I took off of work and went out of Homestead last Thursday to look for a December grouper. We hit a couple patch reefs without any luck (saw 2 hogs right around 16") and made our way to an area of Ajax with some good relief. There was a ton of life around and we boated almost all of our day's haul in that area. My buddy found a good hole with what ended up being 10 legal lobsters, and I shot the black (29") and cero (34") there, both in 30'. The cero was in a school of 5 fish, all about the same size, which was really cool to see and they didn't run hard from me.
The bay was slick calm on the way out and the outer reef had 1' - 1.5' waves and great visibility. Surface water temp was 76. It was a great day and a good way to end the year if it's the last chance I have to hop in.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12-7-17 29 in black.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	236264   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-7-17 34 in Cero.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	236265   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-7-17 with Bill.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	236266  
Old 12-14-2017, 04:27 PM   #521
humpinit

Nice day!
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:15 PM   #522
humpinit

I can’t believe that you only saw two hogs. Before the closure we were getting four person limits of monsters.
humpinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:28 PM   #523
LordCoconuts

Hey guys any update on the vis conditions around the key biscayne area? I've been out on the beach and it seems pretty milky :/
LordCoconuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:59 PM   #524
Hammertime II

Been terrible with all this wind. Not bad on the deep reef though.
Hammertime II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:33 PM   #525
AASosa

What year is it??? lol haven’t been out in so long don’t know if I can even hold my breath long enough to shaft a fish...

Need to get out for some grouper intel as May1st is quickly approaching.

Anyone been out there lately? How’s the vis? I haven’t seen the water since before Irma so I’m clueless...