Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Miami and The Florida Keys

Miami and The Florida Keys Have a report, or want to discuss spearing in Miami or the Keys? Post here!

Old 09-27-2017, 05:32 PM   #1
FalconSpearo

Lightbulb Artificial Reef Projects

Hello!

A dive buddy and I were wondering the legally of creating artificial reefs. I know that dumping in the ocean is probably illegal. But what about using cinder blocks/non-toxic materials with the intention to create more houses for fish and coral to move into.

This idea of ours came up when we were diving for lobsters on grass/sand ledges struggling to even find any lobsters, all the holes were empty. Then we stumbled upon an artificial man-made reef. It was LOADED with lobsters and we caught our limit. It seemed like the lobsters really liked the protection, I guess in the ledges its too easy for them to get caught/killed/eaten. This reef was very well made, it had a center that was unreachable by us, and I could tell they would spawn and protect the small lobsters there. There were corals attached to the cinder block walls and metal pieces. Also little reef fish, such as blue tangs, some grunts, squirrel fish, some I cant name, etc were all there too!

Imagine if we could recreate these lobster/fish houses all around miami and the keys, I am talking like 1,000 of these houses. They would help the lobster numbers so much. Plus the corals and smaller fish species seem to like them too. I think there is so much space because alot of parts of the ocean floor are just barren. There is just sand or grass for miles. These reefs would provide more opportunity for fish and corals to live and thrive.

Its time we create more real estate under the sea. If we want to sustain our fisheries how can we do so if we keep destroying our natural reefs and leave all species that are dependent on stable reefs to die.

(Please respond if you care about our fish/lobster and coral populations!)
FalconSpearo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
kwyoungspear

Re: Artificial Reef Projects

Ever heard of lobster hotels or casitas? That's what you're referring to and they are highly illegal to dive on or make.
Old 09-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #3
SEATUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Ever heard of lobster hotels or casitas? That's what you're referring to and they are highly illegal to dive on or make.
True statement...
BUT WHY???
Like he said..if there were thousands ( or 10's of thousands) of them all over the place the lobster population would be HUGE...
and What would be wrong with that?
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #4
Johnoly
Big Time Bug Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconSpearo View Post
(Please respond if you care about our fish/lobster and coral populations!)
Since today's FWC meeting was cancelled,,if you truly care about fish and lobster will you meet me at the December 6-7 meeting ? You can google it if you are serious.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
kwyoungspear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEATUX View Post
True statement...
BUT WHY???
Like he said..if there were thousands ( or 10's of thousands) of them all over the place the lobster population would be HUGE...
and What would be wrong with that?
Because of lobbyist for commercial lobster trappers and NOAA

This has been discussed on the board before but to summarize, back in the height of lobster hotels, commercial divers started to catch as many lobster as the trappers were and they got mad. They put a limit on lobsters for commercial divers but not for trappers. Sadly, a lot of commercial divers continued to catch way more than their limit and mad a lot of other divers look bad. Hotels make it easy to catch a large amount of lobster quickly and make a lot of money in the act of doing so. The government doesn't like people making easy money.

And there were thousands of them, lots of them were removed and a lot are still out there.

Last edited by kwyoungspear; 09-27-2017 at 08:33 PM.
kwyoungspear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 06:03 AM   #6
FalconSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnoly View Post
Since today's FWC meeting was cancelled,,if you truly care about fish and lobster will you meet me at the December 6-7 meeting ? You can google it if you are serious.
Where is the meeting at? And what is the topic about?
Old 09-28-2017, 06:05 AM   #7
FalconSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwyoungspear View Post
Because of lobbyist for commercial lobster trappers and NOAA

This has been discussed on the board before but to summarize, back in the height of lobster hotels, commercial divers started to catch as many lobster as the trappers were and they got mad. They put a limit on lobsters for commercial divers but not for trappers. Sadly, a lot of commercial divers continued to catch way more than their limit and mad a lot of other divers look bad. Hotels make it easy to catch a large amount of lobster quickly and make a lot of money in the act of doing so. The government doesn't like people making easy money.

And there were thousands of them, lots of them were removed and a lot are still out there.
This is ridiculous. I can't believe it just always comes down to money. Why can't we ever have nice things. I don't think politics should be involved in our ocean activity. At the end of the day, if we keep up the way we are treating the ocean, it will be gone within this generation's time. Sad.
Old 09-28-2017, 06:11 AM   #8
FalconSpearo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnoly View Post
I tried to google it and nothing came up. I need the details! It might be tough for me to make it though seeing that I am in law school and Dec. 6-7 I got finals to get through but I will try nonetheless.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:29 AM   #9
Chuuken
Mike Wilborn

The next meeting is Dec 4 in Gainesville

Here's the main page.
Chuuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:32 AM   #10
FalconSpearo

Oh lol no way. I am in Miami, not going up to Gainsville mid exams week.
Old 09-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #11
SEATUX

Quote:
Oh lol no way. I am in Miami, not going up to Gainsville mid exams week.
If Marcus were here he would explain to you this is part of a master conspiracy...they know you are in mid exams week and are intentionally holding hearings where you can't make it to them.
SEATUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:06 AM   #12
Jankglass

Quote:
If Marcus were here he would explain to you this is part of a master conspiracy...they know you are in mid exams week and are intentionally holding hearings where you can't make it to them.
that's why hes going to use that fancy law degree to fight the system man..
Jankglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #13
Matt Hudson

Quote:
Hello!

A dive buddy and I were wondering the legally of creating artificial reefs. I know that dumping in the ocean is probably illegal. But what about using cinder blocks/non-toxic materials with the intention to create more houses for fish and coral to move into.
A major problem with a DIY artificial reef is that the structure (cinder blocks, building materials) is mobile. Any coral that attaches to the blocks is doomed because a storm will roll them around, maybe even into nearby natural reef structure. You could potentially be killing more coral than you're saving because that same coral could have ended up someplace safe and not on the cinder blocks. This is why most artificial reefs are giant stones that would be extremely difficult for someone to emplace without a barge. I'm all for artificial reefs, I think that we need more of them especially in deeper water (It doesn't do much good to put them in 30 feet of water and post the numbers on the internet). Anyways, I'm sure the state is in no hurry to repeat a disaster like the Osborne Reef but, if you could solve the mobility problem then maybe you could be on to something.
Matt Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:21 PM   #14
FalconSpearo

Quote:
haha oh noooooo!
Old 09-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #15
underdogII

Fond memories of diving the keys and finding Ice Cans. They were everywhere.
Usually full of lobsters. Illegal Today.
underdogII is offline   Reply With Quote