Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > California Spearfishing

California Spearfishing Talk here about spearfishing on California's Pacific Coast, and post those reports and photos!

Old 11-04-2020, 02:45 AM   #1
Postmortem
Eric

Looking for hand me downs for a new diver

I have a buddy who’s looking to get into diving. If you have any gear you’re looking to donate please hit me up, he’d be an xl.

Thanks
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #2
carrasco

Re: Looking for hand me downs for a new diver

Not trying to offend you or your friend. This is just my opinion.
Spear fishing and hunting for Lobster are activities that require commitment. Many people over the years have expressed interest in the sport and I would be on this forum continuously asking for donations. I personally believe that if you’re interested in this sport, you must first commit financially. If for starters, you can’t afford your gear, it is reasonable to assume that he will always have an excuse to not pitching on your trips. I have learned to abandon diving with people like that.
Remember, if you give a mouse a cookie...

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:58 PM   #3
swanny

I love the spirit of this post. In fact, I'm looking for gear donations as well.

If you have a nice, new ulusub 175 tuna cannon hit me up. If you want to ditch your gannet float I'll take that as well too. Please only new gear though!

Definitely will repay the favor by sending photos of me an my tunas.
swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
NaClAddict

Nothing wrong with Churchill’s and a surf suit.
NaClAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #5
Postmortem
Eric

It’s not uncommon to have an old suit or gear that you can’t sell, so instead of throwing it away maybe you hand it down to someone who is interested. Doesn’t seem unreasonable.
Postmortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #6
John Hughes
wsb....I'm over it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmortem View Post
It’s not uncommon to have an old suit or gear that you can’t sell, so instead of throwing it away maybe you hand it down to someone who is interested. Doesn’t seem unreasonable.
As a matter of fact, I've got a number of items in the dive locker I'd love to give to a new diver. Some of us prefer to pass it on rather than go through the hassle of selling it for pennies.

If it wasn't for the generosity of some of the more experienced divers in my early dive days, I'd still be freezing in my surf suit. I try and follow their generous example.

If the guy tries it and never dives again, at least it's out of my garage and there's room for more.
I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly. John 10:10
John Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #7
carrasco

You are a good man John. Guess the guy found himself a Padrino!

Come to think of it, others have been extremely generous towards me as well. My buddy David once gave me a C4 Monoscocca full carbon gun. On many occasions, my buddy Hrach has taken me on his boat and asked nothing in return, knowing I was under financial constraints at the time.

Further, you are right; most of us who have been at it a while have a ton of gear. I have loaner guns for days and have given away probably 10 pair of fins, 5 wetsuits and 200 lbs of lead (most of which were given to me by my friend Ray).

I have been converted into a SB Born-again good citizen yet again!

-Thank you brother John!!!!

No sea menso mijo, no sea menso!!!!!
carrasco is offline   Reply With Quote