Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Mid-Atlantic States

Mid-Atlantic States A forum for the states of New York and New Jersey to better define the highly populated eastern US coast

Old 08-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #1
spear&loathing

Shrews Rocks anyone?

Anyone want to paddle out with me and my bud later this week? You'll need your own yak or similar. If you have a motor boat then I can get gas and snacks.
spear&loathing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:56 AM   #2
caterer

Re: Shrews Rocks anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear&loathing View Post
Anyone want to paddle out with me and my bud later this week? You'll need your own yak or similar. If you have a motor boat then I can get gas and snacks.
I would like to go. I have an 18 foot boat. We could hit some of my spots also. Call me
John 215-534-6356
caterer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
HuntDirtyJerz

How deep are the shrewsbury rocks? And how far of a paddle? This reminds me I need to make some new anchor line.
HuntDirtyJerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
spear&loathing

It varies in depth. The paddle isn't too far.

I just changed out my 1/4" nylon anchor line for 100' of paracord. Tethering the yaks and drifting is an option too.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #5
Fishfood888

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuntDirtyJerz View Post
How deep are the shrewsbury rocks? And how far of a paddle?
15'-40', distance? depends where you launch from. If you're launching at SB, 1/2 mile, if you're launching at MB, 1/4 mile give or take, but I still have to paddle atleast 1/2 mile to get to where I like to dive. Crack a chart and check the distances to spots you want to try...the Shrews Rocs covers quite a large area.
And be wary of the currents out there..it may look flat and calm, but it can rip out there. Be careful anchoring and have plenty of anchorline with a decently heavy anchor. I use an 11lb claw and usually attach a spare 4lb dive weight to hold the kayaks in place when we link them together.

I'd join you but I separated my shoulder in July and have been on the mend...paddling is out for the moment.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
spear&loathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfood888 View Post
15'-40', distance? depends where you launch from. If you're launching at SB, 1/2 mile, if you're launching at MB, 1/4 mile give or take, but I still have to paddle atleast 1/2 mile to get to where I like to dive. Crack a chart and check the distances to spots you want to try...the Shrews Rocs covers quite a large area.
And be wary of the currents out there..it may look flat and calm, but it can rip out there. Be careful anchoring and have plenty of anchorline with a decently heavy anchor. I use an 11lb claw and usually attach a spare 4lb dive weight to hold the kayaks in place when we link them together.

I'd join you but I separated my shoulder in July and have been on the mend...paddling is out for the moment.
Thanks for the info. Hope the shoulder mends quickly.

When you anchor two yaks you add the 4lb weight to the anchor? And if just one yak you use just the anchor?
Old 08-29-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
fr0sty

What kind of kayaks do you guys have? I'm assuming SOTs?
fr0sty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #8
spear&loathing

Yup, I have an OK tandem.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:20 PM   #9
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Play it safe the first time and get a feel for it. Make sure your head is on a swivel for boat traffic and you don't range to far from the yak if your anchored up. Gun/paddle straight up and waving also helps make you more visible in the water or on the yak if you start getting nervous about a boat. It helps to keep an eye on the tides/moonphase when planning your yak attack to minimize current. Like fishfood said the current can rip and it's a huge area for a yak so you really have to pick where you want to go before you head out.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #10
spear&loathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerNJ View Post
Play it safe the first time and get a feel for it. Make sure your head is on a swivel for boat traffic and you don't range to far from the yak if your anchored up. Gun/paddle straight up and waving also helps make you more visible in the water or on the yak if you start getting nervous about a boat. It helps to keep an eye on the tides/moonphase when planning your yak attack to minimize current. Like fishfood said the current can rip and it's a huge area for a yak so you really have to pick where you want to go before you head out.
Thanks, good advice. I hadn't considered moonphases so I found these tidal current predictions for Sandy Hook Channel should be useful for planning a rocks trip.

I did a shore dive at mb a few weeks ago at rising tide and was surprised at how fast I was pushed north.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #11
Fishfood888

Quote:
Originally Posted by spear&loathing View Post
Thanks for the info. Hope the shoulder mends quickly.

When you anchor two yaks you add the 4lb weight to the anchor? And if just one yak you use just the anchor?
Prettymuch...if the wind is blowing and dive flags are flapping away...I may add 6-10lbs just above the anchor shaft, for a little more insurance, to keep it in a horizontal position. Last thing you want to do is chase after your yak for a quarter mile...trust me on that one..

Mid-week are the best days to dive SR....and better yet. after labor day. As the fall progresses, boats lessen and the shooting gets better.

I dive from a yellow Ocean Kayak Prowler 15 and an orange Hobie Revolution. Will probably get back to diving with the yak after mid september...when it starts getting goooood.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #12
TriggerNJ
The Trigger Whisperer

Quote:
Thanks, good advice. I hadn't considered moonphases so I found these tidal current predictions for Sandy Hook Channel should be useful for planning a rocks trip.

I did a shore dive at mb a few weeks ago at rising tide and was surprised at how fast I was pushed north.
As a general rule new/full moon tides are always pretty brutal there. Get a length of anchor chain so you don't have to carry to much extra weight on the paddle trip. With the chain you will hang up pretty good in the rubble.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 PM   #13
spear&loathing

Man than blows chasing a yak 1/4 mile. The anchor line failed?
I've been using 2' of chain with a 3lb grapple anchor and it's worked fine in slight current though I'll get something heavier like a 7lb.

Otherwise I'm set: vhf, cheap depth finder, navigation app, deck mount dive flag. Just waiting for a good day.
Old 07-22-2015, 06:19 PM   #14
Orbayburak

Thinking about taking my kayak out to Shrewsbury Rocks soon. Anybody know a good spot to launch and park my car?
Orbayburak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:07 PM   #15
jersymudsniper

I was looking around a while back for a spot to launch my inflatable and remember seeing a bunch of kayak posts on yak forums. Just google it.
jersymudsniper is offline   Reply With Quote