Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Pole Spears & Slings

All About Pole Spears & Slings What is it about that traditional method of the early hunter/gatherers under the water? These devices are indeed interesting and effective.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #1
EKKsoldier622
561-863-772

Send a message via AIM to EKKsoldier622
How would you run your setup if...?

...You were wanting to use a pole spear while scuba diving anywhere from 60-110' and wanted to attach a line to the pole spear so you could ensure it wouldn't be lost or a fish wouldn't run off with it?

I'm getting pretty big into pole spearing (still on a 6' fiberglass spear though, but will soon upgrade to a Gatku, Crist, Mako, or a Riffe) and am going to start pursuing fish 20+ lbs., but I've been looking into various float line setups and at the depths I'm considering, it seems like an awful hassle to run float line all the way to the surface when I'm at depths of 60-110'.

I've considered using about 25' of float line to hold onto the fish if it runs, but this seems as if it has its own complications. I am usually above a reef (with the floor from 60-110' and me 20' or so above it), so this method wouldn't be so dangerous if I shoot the fish at depth then ascend 20' or so to conserve bottom time (even if it happens to pull me down a bit). However, I am looking to transfer my methods into pelagic conditions, where such a fish could really ruin my day.

I've searched various threads, but am looking for insight on this endeavor.

*Another possible consideration is that I am diving off charter boats which are usually packed full of divers.
EKKsoldier622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
SnpperWhisperer
Ban all spearguns

Re: How would you run your setup if...?

Stephen had lots of thoughts on this if you go back a couple of years on here.

What about a short (like 30 feet) float line with just a small bubble float on it, or even better some floaty foam braided into the middle of the last ten feet of line. You shoot the fish, it races away, and you have 30 ft to haul it in - pretty easy I would imagine on scuba? Also, not much risk of entanglement. Just an idea - I don't really understand scuba so sorry if it is not helpfull
Old 03-14-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
a.s.alvarez
One shot, One fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnpperWhisperer View Post
Stephen had lots of thoughts on this if you go back a couple of years on here.

What about a short (like 30 feet) float line with just a small bubble float on it, or even better some floaty foam braided into the middle of the last ten feet of line. You shoot the fish, it races away, and you have 30 ft to haul it in - pretty easy I would imagine on scuba? Also, not much risk of entanglement. Just an idea - I don't really understand scuba so sorry if it is not helpfull
What happened to Stephen???? Ocean Ed. It has been years

On my death bed I won't be thinking " Man, I wish I had worked more".
a.s.alvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
jfjf

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.s.alvarez View Post
What happened to Stephen???? Ocean Ed. It has been years
He is around. Saw him teaching a scuba class not too long ago. Not sure why he totally left the board.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #5
EKKsoldier622
561-863-772

Send a message via AIM to EKKsoldier622

The main point of concern for me besides entanglement would be buoyancy. If I'm hauling around a float of some kind (underwater) I'd have to compensate for it, which isn't a big deal, but it has to be accounted for ahead of time. What is this 'floaty foam braided line' you speak of?

I think as of right now the way I'll run my setup is like what you said with out 20-30' of float line and have a hold of the other end (and maybe include some semi-buoyant line that can be counter weighted). Then in pelagic waters, I'll probably just run 125' of float line to a float so if I hit a big fish I can let the line do all the work and 'clean up' afterwards.

But, how buoyant is float line?
EKKsoldier622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Watergator

Since you're on scuba and don't have to worry about returning to the surface immediately, you could get one of those coiled shock cords that look like an old phone cord. Attach one end around the band of your polespear and the other to a velcro wrist strap (like what you see on boogie-boards).

In order to shoot it, just attach to your shooting hand and when you load the spear, hold the part where you attached it in your hand to reduce drag.

With this setup, you don't have to worry about dragging a long line around and if for some reason you have to ditch, you can easily undo the strap. Having the cord attached directly to the band also helps you with fighting fish that may have been poorly shot because it gives it some flex.

I've had this idea for a while but haven't had a chance to try it out yet so post back with a report if you do it.
Watergator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
jfjf

I would just use the pole spear and nothing else. Lines and floats and things are more likely to cause problems than solve them.

If you are shooting big fish on scuba with a hard bottom, then you are not in too much danger if you get in a war.. Just hang on, get your hands in the fishes throat and knife him.. It is actually very EASY (to type that), but a lot harder to actually accomplish underwater..

If you plan on using a pole spear, while scuba diving in blue water with no hard bottom and trying to shoot fish over 30 lbs..... well I suggest you NOT try this until you have some expereince dealing with smaller fish in more manageable (safer) types of conditions.

I've shot thousands of fish with a pole spear, mostly on scuba. I only remember loosing one pole spear and that was because I was stupid and ran out of air at depth.
jfjf is offline   Reply With Quote