Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Northern Atlantic: New England States

Northern Atlantic: New England States An area for the cold water divers of the New England States.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #1
Mike_C

MA & RI regs /abstract for spearfishing ?

I know you probably see this post every year by newbies, but I thought someone could humor me and help a brother out. Does MA & RI have a separate abstract of regulations regarding spearfishing/lobster/shellfish harvesting for free dive ?

I found this MA one from 2006 regarding scuba - http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dmf/publi...abs_030206.pdf , but does it even fall under that category if not using tanks ? But can't find anything else. Thanks
Mike_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:58 AM   #2
erk

Re: MA & RI regs /abstract for spearfishing ?

unless your a resident of ri you can't get a licenses.as far as mass is concerned free dive or scuba same rules apply
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Muzzy
Fish Killin' Swamp Yankee

Send a message via MSN to Muzzy

As far as Rhode Island goes, the only thing extra you will need is a Lobster diver license (Resident Only). For a$40.00 fee, it can be purchased at the Office of Boat Registration Licensing, Room 360 in the Promenade building, 235 Promenade Street, Prov, RI 02908
Muzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #4
gillotine

I think that RI allows non residents in the military to get a lobster license. I tried to find the regs on the Fish&Wildlife website, but gave up in frustration.
If this applies to you, try the site. The reason why I think this is that when I was doing a whole lot of lobster diving(scuba) I was diving the Newport Navy breakwater and my dive partners had licenses, but were non residents stationed at the base. Can't dive there (inside wall) any more cause the f***cking terrorists f**cked it up.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 AM   #5
Mike_C

Thanks Guys.

I'm in MA, so out of luck for RI... which sucks cause my boat is moored in Coles River, 10 minute ride to RI. Found the MA 2009 abstract/regs for scuba & spearfishing online and getting the MA lobster permit endorsed for diving, just to have it. Spend alot of time out fishing off Westport so maybe I'll get lucky and someone can show me how it's done. Thanks again.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
Qdiver911
"Q" is for Quahog!

Mike, we are planning a west island trip next month to kill some fish. A buddy has a house there and the shore diving is awesome boulder fields. PM me if you are headed this way, always have a spot open for "Let's go RIGHT NOW!!" trips. Halfway for both of us~

Cheers, Teddy O
Old 04-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #7
erk

mike give me a call when you want to go we can hit plymouth or the cape
erk
erk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
celtmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillotine View Post
I think that RI allows non residents in the military to get a lobster license. I tried to find the regs on the Fish&Wildlife website, but gave up in frustration.
If this applies to you, try the site. The reason why I think this is that when I was doing a whole lot of lobster diving(scuba) I was diving the Newport Navy breakwater and my dive partners had licenses, but were non residents stationed at the base. Can't dive there (inside wall) any more cause the f***cking terrorists f**cked it up.
Thats pretty awesome. Maybe Mass should let servicemen shoot bass.
celtmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
celtmaverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdiver911 View Post
Mike, we are planning a west island trip next month to kill some fish. A buddy has a house there and the shore diving is awesome boulder fields. PM me if you are headed this way, always have a spot open for "Let's go RIGHT NOW!!" trips. Halfway for both of us~

Cheers, Teddy O
On the south west end? I've been eyeing that spot. I spent a lot of time there as a kid snorkeling around boating ect; relatives there. Never fished there though. I'd be interested in how you make out. Feel free to PM me so your cronies don't think less of you. Alternatively don't, and Ill try to check it out this summer
celtmaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
Mike_C

thanks Qdiver911 and Erk, this newbie needs all the help I can get !