Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > United States Geographical Locations > Florida East Coast Spearfishing

Florida East Coast Spearfishing Let's talk here about spearing on Florida's Atlantic coast. Reports and other issues about this region belong here.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
grata

Can I buy live lobsters near Pompano Beach

Can I buy live lobsters anywhere near Pompano Beach?? At a good price, not Publix or Red Lobster. I bought some in the Keys from a fish market, $7 a tail or lobster a few years ago.

I only need around $100 worth.
grata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 06:37 PM   #2
seadogger

Re: Can I buy live lobsters near Pompano Beach

I have never heard of being able to buy spiny's live. They have to be kept cool on top of towels over ice or in a live well. Most people don't go to the trouble. It would probably have to be a special request prior to diving. Commercial lobster divers usually have a tailing permit. Good luck in your search though

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 PM   #3
bag-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadogger View Post
I have never heard of being able to buy spiny's live. They have to be kept cool on top of towels over ice or in a live well. Most people don't go to the trouble. It would probably have to be a special request prior to diving. Commercial lobster divers usually have a tailing permit. Good luck in your search though
Most lobsters are landed alive or green is the market term... Green lobsters carry a higher value since they haven't discolored and soaked up the water weight from the ice. Don't give up, look around and you'll probably find some in that area....
bag-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
seadogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag-man View Post
Most lobsters are landed alive or green is the market term... Green lobsters carry a higher value since they haven't discolored and soaked up the water weight from the ice. Don't give up, look around and you'll probably find some in that area....
MOST lobsters that are harvested "commercially" are tailed at sea( with permit ) to allow more room on ice as some of these boats are at sea for several days at a time. Unlike Maine lobsters that are known to be shipped live to parts all over the world. Spinys have much larger legs and tend to break off making the lobster unsightly for live value. I'm sure he should have no problem finding live bugs from someone.

JESUS SAID...."Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day.....Teach a man to spear & he will eat for a life time or until SAFMC shuts everything down " or something like that.
seadogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #5
grata

I just wanted live, because I knew it was fresh. I am not against fresh tails, just off the boat from a fish market. It was not a problem finding live lobsters in the keys. I did not find any fish markets here near Pompano last year. Did not know if anybody knew of any.
grata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
Bulit7

I know there is a lobster boat that docks at murelle's marine (561) 582-3213 in lake worth. I have bought from them before for my wife when I cant get out. Hit and miss cause they are rarely there and you need to catch em unloading. Call them and ask for yje skippers phone number.
Bulit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
bag-man

As you stated; Pompano area you'll find whole green lobsters. Go to a market late in the afternoon and ask for live lobsters. If a boat off loaded that day they will still be whole and alive. Over 98 percent of the lobsters landed in Florida are whole... PERIOD...
bag-man is offline   Reply With Quote