Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All Other Gear

All Other Gear Tanks, BCDs, Regs, Fins, Stringers, and all other gear we use in Spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Chris Lupin
50 lbs

Quick Gopro Leak Question

I am absolutely terrified that my gopro hd will leak. If it does, I'm screwed . What are my options on protecting the camera inside if the housing leaks. I will obviously check the camera often while diving to make sure there is no leak, but if it does leak, I would like some insurance inside to protect the camera. Does anyone have any ideas? Or is the housing the only line of defense?

I had 2 of the lower go pro versions leak a few years ago, that's why I'm so nervous. I really can't afford to spend another $300 to replace, so I need to exercise all my options to prevent a leak.
Chris Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
ApneaAddict

Re: Quick Gopro Leak Question

What was the cause of the leak on the previous models? I some times worry that mine will leak, but I've always been certain that if it leaks, it's going to be because I did something really stupid (like not latching it shut, or reaching up to adjust the camera angle and popping it open)...
ApneaAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
Chris Lupin
50 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApneaAddict View Post
What was the cause of the leak on the previous models? I some times worry that mine will leak, but I've always been certain that if it leaks, it's going to be because I did something really stupid (like not latching it shut, or reaching up to adjust the camera angle and popping it open)...
The previous models were not made as well, but I have no idea. Took it out to get some shots of friends pulling into some shorebreak, and noticed the cameras weren't working and there was an inch of water in the housing. latching the housing scares the crap out of me, I'm always afraid it will have something along the rubber to cause a leak.
Old 12-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
primalpete

Its not going to leak, just make sure the seal is intact and you are good to go. I was scared the first time I used it too. Since then its seen over 50 dives to over 190ft and some freediving. Not a drop of water inside.
primalpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 PM   #5
Chris Lupin
50 lbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by primalpete View Post
Its not going to leak, just make sure the seal is intact and you are good to go. I was scared the first time I used it too. Since then its seen over 50 dives to over 190ft and some freediving. Not a drop of water inside.
How do you make sure the seal is intact? Anyway to test?
Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #6
FIT4FISH

Chris, Take the Camera out of the housing and place a wad of tissue paper in the housing and seal. Submerge, if any leaks are present the tissue will absorb the water and it will be obvious. If you want to this at depth/ Pressue test, it is just a matter of convienence, with a kayak or boat.
FIT4FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
stevemc1
Firmly imbeded member

Yep, use it first with no camera. Always clean the O ring, and use silicone grease to lube the O ring. Always look to make sure it seats right when you are closing it. I have had problems with other UW cameras fogging right in front of lens. I put in a 1 gram bag of dessicant after camera is snugged in, I slide it next to it in a place that doesnt have a switch or lever. Never had a problem since. I bought a 2 lb bag of them on Ebay. It is because of the humid air and the cooler water temp and higher pressure.
stevemc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
robertonator
Team J&J; Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc1 View Post
Yep, use it first with no camera. Always clean the O ring, and use silicone grease to lube the O ring. Always look to make sure it seats right when you are closing it. I have had problems with other UW cameras fogging right in front of lens. I put in a 1 gram bag of dessicant after camera is snugged in, I slide it next to it in a place that doesnt have a switch or lever. Never had a problem since. I bought a 2 lb bag of them on Ebay. It is because of the humid air and the cooler water temp and higher pressure.

GoPro offers their own solution, as well: http://www.goprocamera.com/products/...og-inserts.php

Anti-fog inserts that can be dried and re-used.

http://www.speardeals.com
http://www.jamesandjoseph.com
robertonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
ApneaAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertonator View Post
GoPro offers their own solution, as well: http://www.goprocamera.com/products/...og-inserts.php

Anti-fog inserts that can be dried and re-used.
FYI, I've used my GoPro for probably 30+ dives in water ranging from the high 40s to the low 70s without any sort of dessicant and never had a fogging issue (except for the one time that, being an idiot, I decided to blow the dust out of the inside of the case with my mouth- only made that mistake once- durrr). I think that the gopro case is such a snug fit that even with fairly humid air there isn't the room for enough moisture to be contained.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
Chris Lupin
50 lbs

Thanks for the input everyone. Very surprising that nobody uses another method to backup, but then again maybe I'm just so nervous because I replaced the lens with a flat one. I did try the housing with tissues and it didn't leak, which is a good start. I will probably try it another time with the tissues just to be sure.

Last edited by jfjf; 12-10-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
ApneaAddict

To be honest, I'm really pretty hard on my GoPro and not very careful. I toss it around, open and close it a bunch, leave it sitting open on my desk then slap it closed and go for a dive, etc etc and really never thought much about the risk of a leak until this thread came up. The thing is made to be pretty indestructible and pretty idiot proof. I'll be sure to let you know if my cavalier attitude results in a flooded camera at some point, but for what it's worth, my advice is to not worry so much.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
Nwsportsman
Lars

Iv been useing my gopro for underwater hockey. It gets beat around quite a bit, with no problems to speak of. I got it because its tough! If your just diving you shouldn't have a problem.
Nwsportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #13
Catalyst
Formerly Twin-or-Lose

I think underwater ratings are taken pretty seriously by the manufacturers. In order to get the 180' rating the housing probably performed much better in testing.
I have had problems in the past with flooding issues on Canon underwater housings when mounted on my speargun. My gopro has been to 100' about 4 times and has performed great.
One thing that is a little weird is the latch that is very tight on the surface on my camera is flapping in the current underwater at 100'.
I think the housing is actually being held shut by the pressure at this point. I like the very simple square opening and the tapered o-ring design that they use.
Hopefully it will last a long time.