Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > The Spearboard Tavern > Off Topic Area

Off Topic Area Enjoy a virtual beer at the bar, and talk about anything else on your mind that may not pertain to spearfishing.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
gcracker89

Bullet trap for home gun range

I was contacted to quote a bullet trap for a gun range in a home. The home owner wants It fabricated out of 5/8 steel. Running a 10' long sheet at a 45 angle up from the floor up towards the ceiling and with a 2' piece running down @ 45 from the ceiling to meeting the top of the bottom sheet. Bottom plate will be covered with rubber chips 1’ to 2’ deep. My question is from the standing or prone position and there were no rubber chips and you fired at the trap could the bullet come back at the shooter or what angles would the bullets travel at after striking the plates.. Also for the gun guys any other thoughts on the construction of a trap.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:43 PM   #2
Marcus
Naval gazer extraordinair

Re: Bullet trap for home gun range

A drawing would be helpful.

~Thomas Paine
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
sticknrelease
Inflatable Floats

http://www.ck-techno.com/ckteck/inde...Venitian-model

or you may be able to create something like this: http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537...+trap+question.

Questions about the Fox Float? Send them to Foxfloats@gmail.com

www.foxfloats.com
sticknrelease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 09:36 PM   #4
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Dave, this is a challenge. But, knowing how well you made my Big fish display bins for the torunaments, I am sure it will be done right.

EHow has some information here:

How to Make a Bullet Trap | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_5534198_make...#ixzz1JB6dWShb

Note this one inch comment though:

Quote:
Bullet traps are designed for specific calibers. The minimum thickness that should be considered for the steel plate if planning to only shoot .22 caliber rimfire ammunition would be three-eights inch. If you plan to shoot centerfire ammunition, at least one-inch thickness is recommended

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #5
patrick
president

i think the 1" requirement isnt that critical if you employ the right steel for the job. AR500 is pretty much the gold standard in steel that gets shot up, if i remember correctly.

http://www.chapelsteel.com/ar500-ar500f.html

i dont know how much the stuff costs, but i think its pretty expensive. but that steel can take a lickin and keep on tickin...
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:54 PM   #6
SpearMax
Forum Administrator

Cool Re: Bullet trap for home gun range

Dave did a super job for me on the Spear Wars Mobile Big Fish Display Cases.

He has a factory on the Florida west coast dedicated to welding and steel.

Here are links to pictures of the place:

http://www.spearboard.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=14

http://www.spearboard.com/showpost.p...9&postcount=15

http://www.spearboard.com/showpost.p...0&postcount=16

Here is one of five display bins he made for me being used at the Big Bang Open last year:

“Live this day as if it will be your last. Remember that you will only find 'tomorrow' on the calendars of fools.”

---- Success Unlimited Author Og Mandino b.1923 - d.1996
SpearMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:13 PM   #7
rojodiablo
My spawn kills on....

Fwiw Dave, with my 30-06 at 150 yards, I was shooting targets and hit the stand I had made to hold targets. The material was 1/4" 4130, and it left quite an indent with a 180gr. bullet. There was no chance of the bullet going through, but then again, I would not want to see the material take 10 direct hits.
If it were AR500 in 5/8" ? I feel you would have your bases covered.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
mepps1

Quote:
Bullet traps are designed for specific calibers. The minimum thickness that should be considered for the steel plate if planning to only shoot .22 caliber rimfire ammunition would be three-eights inch. If you plan to shoot centerfire ammunition, at least one-inch thickness is recommended
Sorry, but I think whoever wrote this is an idiot or an engineer. (I know you're wondering what the difference is. Primarily, they are differentiated by the presence or absence of student loans. That and most idiots have non-pneumatic girlfriends.)

No rimfire is going to so much as dent even 3/16 steel. And requirements for centerfire rifles versus handguns are nothing alike. And, as others have already pointed out, the grade of steel will make a big difference.
mepps1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:51 PM   #9
mepps1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcracker89 View Post
I was contacted to quote a bullet trap for a gun range in a home. The home owner wants It fabricated out of 5/8 steel. Running a 10' long sheet at a 45 angle up from the floor up towards the ceiling and with a 2' piece running down @ 45 from the ceiling to meeting the top of the bottom sheet. Bottom plate will be covered with rubber chips 1’ to 2’ deep. My question is from the standing or prone position and there were no rubber chips and you fired at the trap could the bullet come back at the shooter or what angles would the bullets travel at after striking the plates.. Also for the gun guys any other thoughts on the construction of a trap.
Don't know if anyone here can give you exact answers. I personally don't like to be too close to anything hard that a bullet will strike, because the "splatter" can be pretty unpredictable.

Rifle or handgun or both?

Whatever you do, I think you should have the client sign a statement that design is strictly his (whether it is or not) and that you are not liable in any sense for its actual performance.

Try not to replicate results like this;
YouTube - Guy hit in head with .50 caliber ricochet
mepps1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
gcracker89

This one is clever I pitched this idea using a 48" pipe but he wants a pile of chips to back it up.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...llet-trap.html

Attachment photo shows the type of trap their talkin about. this one the plates are at a 90 degrees the bottom plate is 10' long the top plate is only 2' deep
My fear is the bullet strikes the bottom plate in a bare spot heads up at a 45 after striking the bottom plate and the strikes the top plate again comming off at a 45 degree angle and then the bullet is headed back at the shooter
the material is AR500
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Total-Containment-bt_AdvancedContractors_TCT_4[1].jpg
Views:	247
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	148515  
Old 04-11-2011, 05:12 PM   #11
FredT

There are good range design insights available from the NRA at minimal cost from the range development folks.

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/sourcebook.asp

If you haven't read it I suggest you get a copy. This covers all types of ranges from "informal" to commercial to improvised. It also covers what some of the legal issues could be.
FredT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
FOWLER267

One thing that needs to be considerd is ventilation if it's an indoor range. We had some National Guard ranges shut down around here due to some sort of ventilation problems over the lead dust when .22s were hitting a steel trap.

And I would suggest sand instead of rubber as a dead stop on ther floor.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:49 AM   #13
FredT

Most primers contain lead azide. That creates a small amount lead salt discharge on firing. Ventilation needs to be from the firing line towards the backstop if simple ventilation is used. This can be modified to capture most of the air just forward of the firing line with an up flow there to maintain air clarity on the down range section between the firing line and the butts on heavily used ranges.

The other out is to use only lead free ammo (a significant operating expense booster for commercial and LEO/military training ranges) that uses a lead free priming compound and copper or nylon/steel projectiles.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:02 AM   #14
FredT

One of the neatest self contained rimfire only target butts for occasional firing I've seen used is an old truck tire with the beads cut off both sides. A steel plate is inserted inside the the tire and bolted in to one side wall. The other side of the tire is closed with a replaceable plywood or plastic target facing. When used the tire is rolled out to position and placed square with the firing point. The projectiles are splattered against the plate with the tire body and facing containing the much lower energy lead dust.

This was originally developed to allow rimfire training inside a school gym. The range was simply rolled into a closet and stacked between uses.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #15
gcracker89

Guys thank you for your input,
I was at the job site this morning and they have decided to place a 1/4 plate at an angle and put dirt on it. Its not worth the trouble to order the steel and haul it out to the site.