Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Boating > All About Diving and Fishing Boats

All About Diving and Fishing Boats We sure love boats for what we do! This forum is for boating related discussion from engines to ladders to trailers to propellers and the list goes on and on.....

Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
vatobelow

88 special evinrude

I have an 88 special, I'm having idling issues boat fires up and idles for afew minutes then shuts off, I restart and it'll run for a few then shuts off. Once boat is running its fine, doesn't stall or choke up. Had carbs rebuilt and lower unit check in March 11. Anybody ever worked on this type of motor? Thanks Juan
vatobelow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #2
Ahmad Abbas

Re: 88 special evinrude

check the fuel pump and make sure your tank is clean
Ahmad Abbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
ShootnReel

Those are great motors. Does it die out slowly or like you shut it off with the key? Does it do it when its warm too? Check you don’t have any air getting into the fuel line i.e. its cracked or not sealed tight. Are you 100% sure there is no water in the gas? Try rigging a known good source of gas and gas line and see if the issue goes away.

Also those motors will shut themselves off if they overheat so if your water pump is going bad or is missign a blade it might not be cooling well at low idle so check that too. Check the flow out of the tale at warm idle if its not peeing well and the water is screaming hot to the touch that could be your issue too.

Obvious other things would be to check the compression and spark/gap.
ShootnReel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM   #4
kvzeyde

I had a similar problem with my Johnson. Turned out the fuel filter/water separator was filled with water! My bad! I had not checked mine in over a year. If you have a fuel filter/water separator try removing it and pouring the fluid in a clear container. After an hour or so the water and fuel will separate and you can tell if there was water in the fuel.

If you had water in the fuel filter/water separator you can dump it and fill it with good fuel and your problem will be solved.

Hope water in the fuel was your problem because it is an easy fix. Good luck.

kvzeyde is online now   Reply With Quote