Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-24-2004, 01:46 PM   #1
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Kill Spike

When you spearfish commercially, there are always little secrets that you don't want given out. However, I've decided to post this thread on how to make a Kill Spike to fit your wood gun.
I came up with the idea a few years ago and welded one up. Once you use it, you won't want to go back. It's main use is to have the ability to stab a running fish thats got a spear in it when you don't have another spear to respear it with. It works great for this purpose, and while I only use it this way occassionally, it's nice to have when you need it.

Another purpose is to mount a slip on style powerhead on it as a last ditch defense against a problem shark. This really comes in handy when for any reason, you don't have a spear and you have a shark problem. This is a HUGE advantage when it's called for. You'll like it.

A third purpose is the ability to slide a flashlight onto the spike, by simply zip clipping a piece of 5/16 fuel hose to your small flashlight and slideing it onto the spike. This is the bomb for night spearing, as the light is now in front of the muzzle, and not back on the stock where it's not as effective.

It only requires a piece of stainless, 3 and a half inches long and as wide as your gun, a 9 -11 inch piece of stainless shaft and 4 screws to attach it with. The optium length will depend on your model of gun, and the spike should protrude about 4-4.5 inches past the end of the muzzle. Any longer and a large shark will use leverage against it, plus you don't want to see the spike when aiming.

If you don't like the slight increase in weight on the front of the gun, screw a piece of 1/4 inch stainless to the rear of the gun to balance it out. You probably won't need to do this, but if you do, another advantage is that the gun should now be negative with no spears in it. Obviously an advantage for scuba shooters and not skin divers.

Heres a couple of pics to assist you in making your own. I'm sure you'll like it. If it saves anybody ass, or saves you a trophy fish, then I like Mich Light in the bottle! Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kill spike 001.jpg
Views:	1967
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	12918  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtUj...HOLnolbCo3PlDI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGMIgPFBW1M
HeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Side view
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kill spike 002.jpg
Views:	1926
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	12919  

Old 11-24-2004, 01:48 PM   #3
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

PH

A slip on PH shown for reference.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kill spike 003.jpg
Views:	1791
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	12920  

Old 11-24-2004, 02:06 PM   #4
Charlestondivin

Was wondering what that was on your gun from your trip report. Looked like a bottom mounted extra shaft at first glance. Thanks for the tip.
Charlestondivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
dagodiver
Wreck Diver

Very cool, and a great idea. Thanks for sharing it with us.
I do believe i will make me a few before i go home today..!!!

Thanks
Dago.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
biggsy
No, it's a sachel

Send a message via AIM to biggsy Send a message via Yahoo to biggsy
Dago...I will buy one! Great idea Dan..thanks for sharing it.

Rob, I was wondering the same thing, I thought he might have four shafts on the gun and that was his true secret to getting all of those monster fish

Last edited by biggsy; 11-24-2004 at 02:28 PM.
biggsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #7
jaysun40

I'd like to buy one as well. Maybe Ray could start making those for us spearboard members. Ray?
jaysun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
Ray Odor

Sure Jason, that's right up my alley. I could even spring temper the spike. Looks like about a 25 Buck item at the save money site. Leave it to Dan to come up with a solution. I might even buy the next steak samich when he comes over to Tampa.---Ray
813-971-3368

Save MONEY
Visit my web site and the Lobster
Mobster Rap at:
www.spearfishing.cc

Last edited by Ray Odor; 11-24-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Ray Odor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #9
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Ray, I'll be down to Tampa next week unless the weather gods allow another (grouperless) trip!

Old 11-24-2004, 09:10 PM   #10
Screen Name
Bubble Pack Junkie

I see some bubble wrap in the background.
Screen Name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
fishkilla
Slayographer

Send a message via AIM to fishkilla
i'm putting my order in for 3 ray. looks like a good christmas gift for my dad and jim! dan lemme know when you're going to be at rays i've got a few questions for ya.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:05 AM   #12
jmaze1

I had a similar rig on a gun that I lost. It was slightly different in that it had an offset bend in the shaft, which was also threaded on the end, like a typical freeshaft spear so a screw-on powerhead could be attached. I've been looking for a replacement forever and would happily buy a new one (or two). Please post when and if you guys start producing these!

Thanks!
jmaze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 06:12 AM   #13
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Dan........that looks like a lot of hardware and additional weight right on the very end of the gun, especially with three shafts on the gun.

1) Is it difficult to handle the gun with the added weight?

2) Do you shoot with one hand or two?

3) Do you ever lineshaft?

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2004, 08:00 AM   #14
HeadHunter
Dan MacMahon

Kevin, I've been shooting 3 spears since around 1990 so I'm pretty used to the weight. It obviously makes the gun heavier but the advantages of 3 shafts in deep water far overweighs the disadvantages, IMO of course. Heck, I'm so used to it now that the gun feels strange with one or two shafts in it! The reason I went to 3 shafts originally was that I had my only 2 spears in a big AJ and had a huge hammer( I still swim with that one sometimes) knock me around for what seemed like an eternity. I made the decision at that time that it would be two for the fish and one in the gun.

I swim with the gun tucked under me as far as possible to diminish the 'large pointy things" size to the fish as much as possible. When the gun comes forward and it and the fish "merge" then the spear is on its way. I shoot like you shoot a pistol, point and squeeze. The same way you shoot I'd bet. How do you aim? It'd be interesting to talk about.

Lineshaft? I think I have one in the garage somewhere! I/we never shoot lineshafts. In this area for bottom fish, it's a huge disadvantage. Maybe for newer shooters or for guys shooting in/around wrecks? I went to free shafts in the mid 80's when I got "waxed" by a guy shooting free while I was still on the leash. I never claimed to be the sharpest tool in the shed, but after he flat kicked my rear end all over the reef, I saw the light, as they say.

It says a lot that you and I are in the same business, but had never discussed methods and gear until last year. Yet, we both shot the same style/lenght of gun, same size band and same size free shaft. It's just like any other business, when you find something that makes it's easier/simpler/more effective or less costly, you go with it. If there was a better way, I think we'd both be on it. The 52/54 with a 60 inch free shaft, and single 23.5 inch 5/8 rubber is the way to go. The 48's and 60's are both good guns but the 52/54 is "Gulf coast magic'!! Your thoughts?

I've taken a little ribbing for talking about your comm gun and the comm muzzle, but I swear, I would never reccomend anything that I don't personally use. The improvements you've made with the gun along with that muzzle makes it much more accurate, and still retains all the other sea hornet advantages. I thinks its quieter also?

Anyway, got to get off SB and help the wife with the turkey.... Happy Thanksgiving everybody!!! Dan

Old 11-25-2004, 08:50 AM   #15
Spear One
Retired Comm. Shooter

Quote:
Originally posted by HeadHunter

I've taken a little ribbing for talking about your comm gun and the comm muzzle, but I swear, I would never reccomend anything that I don't personally use. The improvements you've made with the gun along with that muzzle makes it much more accurate, and still retains all the other sea hornet advantages. I thinks its quieter also? Dan [/b]
A little ribbing? Well they can't argue with results. Technological advances, however small, can make a huge difference to those who are smart enough to recognize it and learn how to utilize it. Those who do, are the ones who benefit from the technology.

I make it a point in my seminars to tell shooters........"the area between your ears is far more important than the speargun will ever be". Unless or until you develop good shooting/stalking disciplines and learn to recognize proper shot selection/angles, it really won't matter which gun you use.

However, once you develop these disciplines, a well designed speargun becomes a powerful tool that allows knowledgable spearfisherman to excel at spearfishing. Unfortunately, only the most "natural" shooters ever attain this level of success. In the end, it is the individual that provides the drive, desire, and talent, to become an accomplished spearfisherman.

I do believe the gun is quiter overall. Most shooters I get feedback from describe the way the gun shoots as "SMOOTH".

Manufactured By: Spearfishing Specialties (727)-548-7686

E-mail: oceanrhino@gmail.com Web: OceanRhino.com

Last edited by Spear One; 11-25-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Spear One is offline   Reply With Quote