Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > International Section > Other International

Other International Here is an area for shooters from Europe, Asia, Africa, and all points in between.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
schwaman

Ecuador 2011

Hey Everyone
Thanks for all the tips and phone numbers that I got in pm’s previous to the trip.
As it goes with backpacking / surf –tripping, you never end up were planned so I could not make use of most offers.
But here is my report from Ecuador back in Sept/Oct:
I had 6 weeks between jobs and the opportunity to go to Ecuador with a friend and meet up with 2 more friends that are traveling South America for 1.5years in their bus. New job’s been keeping me busy, so I am late but here it goes.
The trip was mainly oriented towards surfing and tourism but I brought the spearfishing gear anyway in hopes to get out sometime.
The first picture is from near Playas, showing the local fishing fleet that leaves daily far offshore. Their catch was very disappointing; with the biggest fish less than 1 kg! Visibility and waves were bad so we moved on to Montanita.
Montanita is somewhat of the surfing (party) capital of Ecuador and we had some good waves. One morning I saw one of the ceviche-men coming from the water with a small speargun and some oyster. I hooked up with him to go diving on the reef the next day. These guys hunt for oysters and tako in the surf directly on the reef at low tide. Not much diving but it was cool to watch him find oysters where I could only see bubbles and white wash in the heavy surf.
A little further out there where supposed to be snappers and pargo but the viz was not too good there either. I saw some nice snapers but with my Riffe Euro 110 I had a much too long gun for the bad viz and did not get any fish. The underwater world was pretty cool though and unlike any other place I dived before.
Some days later I finally found this American who runs a little shop and organizes tours. He said he would do spearfishing tours and had a picture of his local guide Lenny holding a 1.3m Wahoo. We had difficulties to bring together 6 people to make the trip and only 3 where interested in spearfishing so we had to do a compromise and arranged for a Whale-watch / spearfish trip.
Lenny, the guide was a great diver and was surprised about my flashers on the fins and throw-flashers I brought. He said that the wahoos would normally just swim up to him. My Spanish is pretty crap and his English zero so I did not get everything he said but we worked nicely as a buddie team.
We hit 3 different spots around some offshore islands that all held a nice variety of reef fish and around 10-15m viz, but we had no look on the wahoos.
After the first spot the guides prepared some fresh ceviche from 2 parrot fish we shot for everyone.
On the first stop I held back on the reef fish, hoping for the big one. But my buddies were getting afraid that we would not have anything for dinner, so I shot 5 fish fish on the next 2 spots. Together with the others we had 9 fish – just enough for the whole group.
After the tour we took the fish to 2 French cooks that were running a little street kitchen. For 2$ a plate we had the best, fresh fish dinner.
Overall Ecuador is quite raw (see the butcher shop on the picture…) but the people were extremely friendly and helpful and we never had the feeling of not being safe. We had lots of fun and good times, and the there is certainly a great potential for spearfishing.
Some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040399.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	164349   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030351.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	164350   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030356.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	164351   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040469.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	164352   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040473.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	164353  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040474.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	151.6 KB
ID:	164354   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	164355   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040437.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	164356   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	164357   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0077.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	164358  

schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #2
garret

Re: Ecuador 2011

great report!! congrats on scoring some foreign fish
Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #3
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

love the first pics- pigs and pangas!
Right reefy point looks like fun as well
Mike
Old 12-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
schwaman

Thanks, the point is montanita and can get pretty heavy. Had the best surf of the trip. Canoa and ayampe are fun too.
schwaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
miguelitro
Me llamo Mike Candra

thanks, i was wondering where that was.