Home Tournaments Calendar Weather Merchandise Sponsors

Go Back   Spearboard.com - The World's Largest Spearfishing Diving Boating Social Media Forum > Spearfishing Gear > All About Guns

All About Guns What's your weapon of choice, and why? Discuss the beloved speargun here!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #1
popgun pete

Addicts Speargun Plans

Phil asked for the "Addicts" speargun plans, they are attached here. The paper is very old, hence the odd orange color.

Final timber rubbing down was suggested using "Kleenex", a little joke as to the level of surface finish required. Many guns are works of art, members built their own guns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Addict speargun plans.jpg
Views:	4937
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	167725  
popgun pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
popgun pete

Re: Addicts Speargun Plans

Metal sculptor and spearfishing identity John Warren has made a study of that early pioneering period of speargun building where long range shooting of big, fast fish was being undertaken by something a bit more heavy duty than the ubiquitous French Arbalete's. Forum members can thank him for providing the Skin Diver article here which also supplies some sketches on building an "Addict" gun. Note the traditional "Addict" guns use single-piece, rear mounted mechanisms fired from a remote trigger position via a push rod arrangement. The secret of the mechanism is the height of the sear pivot pin placement, it is just below the centerline of the sear box tube, not drilled on a diameter. If you check out a Wally Potts Scubapro gun, the formed tube, open track alloy barrel 60" plastic handle model, you will see a similar pivot pin height for the single-piece trigger used there, same idea, different location in the gun.

I hope to eventually see photos here of your new "Addict" gun Phil, there is a high standard to live up to which I am sure you are more than capable of attaining.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDM_Addicts1 B.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	167757   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDM_Addicts2 B.jpg
Views:	2219
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	167758  

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-12-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: increasing the two page article file sizes
Old 02-11-2012, 09:50 PM   #3
Behslayer

Awesome. I like the way they attached the pushrod to the Sear.
Behslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
phil herranen

thanks for that pete
phil

frv owners discount http://spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=134606
phil herranen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:35 AM   #5
ACEVEDO
Thanks but NO TANKS

Thanks again for another cool thread Popgun ,,, its threads like this that keep me coming back ... Joe
ACEVEDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
Bill McIntyre

Great stuff!

The only Addict gun I ever saw belonged to Ron Church. I belonged to the dive club at Kaneohe Marine Corp Air Station, and Ron was a guest speaker in 1961 or 1962.
Bill McIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM   #7
popgun pete

John Warren has reinstated his "Addict" speargun page http://rocknfish.com/HowardBenedict.html which shows some beautiful guns by Howard Benedict.

Sam Ichikawa drew the plans up and can be seen here http://www.oceanhunters.com/Historic...cks/CFISH3.htm

Last edited by popgun pete; 02-13-2012 at 06:43 AM. Reason: adding photo link
Old 02-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #8
Harv

Hi,

I just stumbled on your post, after stumbling on this site. I certainly would like to thank you for posting this article, I have not seen it in fifty years.

The picture was taken by Ron from the roof of the original Diving Locker on Cass Street. The guns were displayed on the sidewalk, on a large piece of butcher paper. Pretty novel stuff. I don't remember how it happened, but if anyone was going to ask about spearfishing in those days, Ron was the right person to ask.

The top gun in the picture is mine, I still have it. I will never part with it, although I think it resents my for not being as good as it was. This was the first Addict gun anyone had seen that shot a six-foot shaft. Indeed I was generally derided for being a dumb-ass kid who could not follow instructions. The derision continued until it how well it shot became obvious. Greatest compliment came when Joe Herrin, owner of the fourth gun down from the top, starting building six-foot guns. He was lauded for being an innovator, I was not.

I was at a party yesterday also attended by four other surviving (strange word) members of the Addicts Diving Club, including my dear friend, Frank Leinhaupel. I still think of Frank as the inspiration of the whole idea of the Addicts.

In closing, let me pay homage to Ron Church. Ron was so good at everything important to us that he made everything look so easy. Easy until you tried to keep up with him.

Warm Regards,

Harv
Harv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:34 PM   #9
popgun pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Hi,

I just stumbled on your post, after stumbling on this site. I certainly would like to thank you for posting this article, I have not seen it in fifty years.

The picture was taken by Ron from the roof of the original Diving Locker on Cass Street. The guns were displayed on the sidewalk, on a large piece of butcher paper. Pretty novel stuff. I don't remember how it happened, but if anyone was going to ask about spearfishing in those days, Ron was the right person to ask.

The top gun in the picture is mine, I still have it. I will never part with it, although I think it resents my for not being as good as it was. This was the first Addict gun anyone had seen that shot a six-foot shaft. Indeed I was generally derided for being a dumb-ass kid who could not follow instructions. The derision continued until it how well it shot became obvious. Greatest compliment came when Joe Herrin, owner of the fourth gun down from the top, starting building six-foot guns. He was lauded for being an innovator, I was not.

I was at a party yesterday also attended by four other surviving (strange word) members of the Addicts Diving Club, including my dear friend, Frank Leinhaupel. I still think of Frank as the inspiration of the whole idea of the Addicts.

In closing, let me pay homage to Ron Church. Ron was so good at everything important to us that he made everything look so easy. Easy until you tried to keep up with him.

Warm Regards,

Harv
Well I think it our duty to keep the history alive and honor our predecessors by remembering them and their efforts in developing the forerunners to today's gear. On a more practical note those who forget their past are doomed to repeat it. Maybe doomed is a bit strong, but I think you will know what I mean. John Warren is to be applauded for his efforts in providing an educational window to an earlier time, maybe you have already seen his web-site (referenced above).
Old 02-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #10
Scott Diego
Ocean Bound

Incredible thread... Thanks for posting guys...

http://www.darnellcapital.com

"hasta la victoria siempre"
Scott Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #11
baja haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harv View Post
Hi,

I just stumbled on your post, after stumbling on this site. I certainly would like to thank you for posting this article, I have not seen it in fifty years.62

Warm Regards,

Harv
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harv,

What a delightful suprise!...I was unaware that there was any surviving Addicts Diving club members- but I now live 300 miles north of San Diego and I am out of the SoCal loop. Would it be possible to list them by name?

Last member I recall seeing was Verne Fleet at one of the "Fathers of diving" meets way back about 20 years ago. I recall some one, I think it was Barbara Allen who said Verne was making wine.

It was rumored in OC that Verne was the father of the Addict gun, but no one has confirmed this bit of diving trivia

When no Addict was nominated for or to my knowledge attended the 2000 "International Fathers of Spearfishing and free diving meet" I guess it was assumed they were all spearing in the big reef in the sky. It was a huge event..about 75 were honored from all over the US and world with three from my beloved OC the as "Fathers of Freediving and Spear fishing." It was the last big gathering, now about half are no longer with us.

Joe's brother Paul Herrin move to OC about 1962, and immediately became a member of the OC tribe. We were all facinated by his gun..we had seen them at meets but the first time we had seen one upclose and personal. I an sorry to report some one stole his wonderful shooting iron one Saturday morning.

Last report Paul had moved some where in Mexico.

I was friend of Ron- he was one of a kind...Perhaps tomorrow I can take some time to compose a few lines about him..by the way I am occasionally in contact with Shirley Church and their daughter Tandi,

Small world this antique diving tribe

SDM
baja haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:34 AM   #12
Harv

Thanks for mentioning Verne. He was simply the best. Not only as a diver, not only as a friend and mentor but more importantly as a man. The influence he had on many lives, both as a waterman and as a firefighter cannot be measured. Indeed I would not be writing this stuff were it not for him; that was the second time I had SWB. I suppose you already know that he is gone, I can't quite remember for how long, I still can't believe it.

None of us have seen Joe for many years. His son's death seemed to take a lot out of him and he quit diving at that time. Joe is also someone, the like of whom we only meet once.

I think it would be great if you wrote anything you remember about Ron and send it to Shirley or Rhonda. Most of what has been written about him has dealt with photography.

Your thoughts about the Addicts not being sufficiently remembered by the community echo mine, not for my sake, for theirs. Everyone who owns an Addict design gun should call it an Addict gun and be proud to do so. We owe that to Frank and Al Larson. There would have been spearfishing without their contrbution, but damn, it would not have been so much fun.

There are at least three other surviving members, to my knowledge. John Latham is a guide in Alaska and Larry Ward is the same in South Africa. They are both fabulous characters and deserve to be remembered. Sets Fukuno is retired and has lived in Las Vegas for many years. My memories of traveling with and diving with Sets are some of my most precious. What a piece of work.

Regards,

Harv
Old 02-13-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
popgun pete

Harv, who made those metal parts for the guns that were available by contacting the Underwater Sportshop in Long Beach? Also did anyone keep a record of how many of those sets were sold? I expect that many builders created their own if they were handy metalworkers, the twin line releases being maybe the most challenging, although one side is the inverted mirror of the other.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:14 PM   #14
Harv

I am not familiar with the Underwater Sportsstore. I don't think I ever heard of anyone selling sets of metal parts. For most of the thirty years that I was so heavily involved parts were always a hit and miss proposition. If any of us made extra pieces, some might be available. For the most part we just kept extra stuff in the bank.

The beauty of Leinhaupel's concept is it's simplicity. Frank is actually a rocket scientist, but he intended that the guns be able to constuct a guy working with a vise attached to kitchen table. I built the gun shown in the Skindiver article in shop classes when I was sixteen. That is simplicity, at it's best. If you look at Bob Shea's drawing and at Sam Ichikawa's the simplicity of the design and how easily the materials could found is apparent. Really different than today, I imagine.

Harv
Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
manoa matt

Pete, I think you touched on the concept in the #2 post regarding the height of the sear pivot pin.

Is the height of the pin/pivot point the secret to the sear not rotating when bands are loaded on the spear shaft? What do you mean by: "not drilled on a diameter"??

Edit: After looking again, I see the concept of how a force applied in line with the pivot will not cause rotation of the sear.
manoa matt is offline   Reply With Quote